PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist vs ebay and some pricing questions

mikeys_mom
11-12-2012, 11:17 AM
I have never sold any of my kids stuff before. It just didn't seem worth the effort. I always had someone to give it to. This year I have 3 prs of winter boots plus a few snowsuits that none of my friends seem to want/need. I'm seriously thinking of selling them on craigslist or ebay.

Other than the hassle of shipping things on ebay, is there any advantage?

My worry with Craigslist is that I will be bombarded with a million emails and just get annoyed with the process. I don't have a ton of time for this.

The boots are certainly in "used" condition. I would not call them "like new". They were worn for 1 winter season. No rips in them. They are warm and waterproof. I can clean them up to make them look nicer. I've checked Craigslist and they seem to be listed in the $10-$15 range. There don't seem to be many used kids boots listed on ebay. Do I list at $15 on Craigslist and aim for $10? I really don't want people just coming by to look at them. That would really make it not worth my effort. Any way to avoid this?

Maybe selling this way just isn't for me. LOL! I want the revenue without too much hassle ;).

Any advice?

PZMommy
11-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I've sold some kids stuff on Craigslist, and every person that has stopped by has purchased what they came to look at. Be honest in your ad, and post clear pictures. That way people can see it online, and not have to come out to see it. I tended to get mostly text messages when I listed things. As soon as it was sold, I'd delete the ad so that no one else would contact me. It has been my experience if it doesn't sell in a few days, it isn't going to sell.

If you can't sell it, you may want to bring them to a local elem school. I am sure they would know of students who could use some boots whose families may not be able to afford them.

Good luck!

khalloc
11-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I sell stuff on Craigslist and eBay. Honestly most people will take winter boots. I've never had someone come by to look and not buy them. I would list at $15 and expect them to ask you if you will take $10.

I only put things on ebay if its in really good condition or if its hard to find. You have to think if its worth it to ship an item like used winter boots...

Snow mom
11-12-2012, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't ship winter boots--too heavy/bulky. Also, ebay winter selling season is basically over so I wouldn't expect a huge market there to make it worth your while. Clean them first (I hate seeing ads that say they could be cleaned), take pictures, and be clear in your ad whether your price is firm and that you'll delete ad when they are gone. Make sure to list "cash only". I don't respond to e-mails asking if something is still available--if the ad is up it is available. I also don't respond to spam. I have people meet me at my house at a time that is convienent for me so that if they don't show I'm not out anything. People tend to run late, but most people show up eventually and leave with the item.

brittone2
11-12-2012, 11:56 AM
I usually start with CL for the handful of things worth selling. I haven't sold on ebay in years, really.

What I like is that the person can come and visually inspect the item(s). That way, there is less of an issue with item condition, etc. I have read and heard horror stories where people very clearly disclose condition of a used item on ebay...(make very clear it is not new, has some dings, wear etc.) and then buyers complain and want to return or they want a refund. It hasn't happened to me personally, but it seems like the changes to ebay and so forth in recent years help buyers in many ways. For that reason, I really like when people can just look through clothing, etc. I will point out any stains, wear, etc. so they know it is there, bu that way I feel like we don't have to worry about subjective opinion of "good condition" vs. "very good condition" vs. playclothes quality, etc.

I also like being able to set the price.

But all of that is sometimes not worth it. I usually only bother selling things like a lot/group of HA dresses, etc. so that someone might buy a bunch at once, and they can see where there are little tiny pin point marker dots on a sleeve or something like that. I point it out, and describe it that way, but you don't have to deal with the buyer complaining later even when you've disclosed it. Again, I've never run into that on ebay myself, but it seems from reading over the years that more and more buyers seem to complain even when the wear, etc. was disclosed in the first place.

I sell the highest end stuff and then donate or give away the more pedestrian items.

mikeys_mom
11-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone, that is very helpful information. I think I'll give Craigslist a try. I'll give the boots a good scrub before posting pictures. They are all Cougar brand, which is super popular around here so hopefully they will sell. If I can get $30 for minimal effort, then I'm ok with that. If it ends up being too much work, I know several organizations that I can donate to.

One more question - do I post them all together in one listing or as 3 separate ones? I don't know if it makes a difference but 2 of them are the same size but different styles.

PZMommy
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I'd list them separately, but you could mention the others that you are listing. I did that for several bags of baby clothes. One lady asked if she could buy all 3 at a slight discount, and it was worth it to me to just get rid of all of them at once.

Dawn

khm
11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
If CL doesn't work for you ask your school secretary. Our school has a system of discreetly getting these types of clothing to kids that need them.