PDA

View Full Version : convertible seats for twins in Mazda 3?

wendeth
11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
My guys are 5 months old and on the large side, large for singletons nevermind twins! They are really starting to look cramped in their Snugride 30s. I'm starting to look at convertible seats now, but honestly I'm feeling overwhelmed. I want something they can use as long as possible and is affordable enough to buy 2 of... Can anyone help me narrow this down? We will be installing them in a Mazda 3 hatchback- right now the driver and passenger seats are moved closer up than we would like to fit the Snugrides- are we just going to have to deal with this until they can ride forward facing?
Thank you so much for any insight!!

legaleagle
11-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Are they long or long torsoed? How long do you plan on rf'ing? What exactly do you consider affordable? Do you want them both outboard or would you like to put one in the middle if possible?

wendeth
11-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't know the answer to the rf question really! I would say as long as possible as its safer that way, yes? I'm sorry to sound so uniformed about car seats! I think sleep deprivation is getting to me about now!! I'm usually a huge researcher of anything but right now reading reviews and specs is just not helping understand what we need!

We have them outboard now, and it's fine usually... Is 2 together an option for us?

As far as affordable- normally I would look at the $250 range ones, but needing two- $500 might be too high for me right now. But perhaps with Christmas coming we might get some assistance from a grandparent, so really let me know all the options if you have suggestions.

Thank you again.

LizLemon
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
I am not at all an expert, as I am just going through a search for a convertible myself, but Combi Cocorro seems like an affordable, safe, and compact seat. I don't know much about your car and what will fit into it. Diono Radians might be something else to consider - not my cup of tea, but very safe, good for extended rearfacing, and I know who people who need to get multiple car seats in a row value their narrow build. They are a bit more expensive ($230-$250 on sale for the Radian XRT, I believe) than the Cocorro.

Car-seat.org is a good resource as well, particularly for fitting a seat into a particular car. Be prepared to give them specifics, though.

KDsMommy
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I drive an '06 Mazda 3 hatchback. We had a Britax Boulevard as DS' main convertible seat. He fit fine rear facing in that car. In fact, there was a bit more room front to back with the convertible seat installed rear facing than there was with the infant seat (Graco SafeSeat).

DS now rides in a Britax Frontier 85 in that car. I'm a big fan of Britax seats for their ease of use and comfort.

wendeth
11-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Is there a seat that we could use from say 7 months up til booster seat time? I guess I'm still confused on that. I see people switching from a convertible to another ff seat before a booster- will we need to buy another car seat again after this purchase? I'll pay more now if there is one that will take us through.

legaleagle
11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, the longer rf'ing is safer but people have different thresholds for turning. 24 months is the bare minimum but lots of people rf until 3 or 4. Well, lots of people on the internet at least, I don't know anyone else IRL who does!

The coccoro is a great seat but they're already cramped in the snugrides it won't last that much longer rf'ing (did you double check that you've removed all of the infant padding?)

The bigger convertibles will last most kids until ~5. A lot of people buy combo seats because they want to pass down the convertibles to a younger DC, they want to harness for well past 5 and/or they have tall/big kids (or all 3 in my case!)

The britax should definitely take up less room front to back than the snugrides, they are particularly small front-to-back installed, though on the wider side. They are also not the highest in harness height nor do they have the most legroom.

The diono radians are narrow but tend to be larger front to back. You may be able to get 2 side by side. If you don't have advanced airbags, you can brace them on the front seats. (Advanced airbags started coming in in the mid-2000s, check your car manual if it says anything about stuff touching the back of the passenger seat. I think they also have those sensors that turn off the airbags automatically if the weight is between certain numbers)

The peg perego likely would fit the bill too, small front to back, tall for rfing and forward facing and high weight limits though it is quite pricey.

If you're willing to buy 2 different seats, you may have luck with a radian in the center (if it fits between the 2 front seats) and a britax outboard. They are supposed to "puzzle" well together and end up narrower than 2 radians side by side.

Other good choices I have no personal experience with are the complete air/maxi cosi pria and the graco mysize70 and myride.

Basically, I'd suggest going to better baby store - buy buy baby or local boutique - and playing with a few, also posting on car-seat.org for more specific recs for your car.

Good luck!