PDA

View Full Version : Holiday gift ideas for teachers / caregivers?

JustMe
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I find the suggestions the BBB gives for holiday gifts for teachers/others who work with our children helpful each year. I know they can also be "women in our lives", etc, but I tend to spend less than the items created in those threads.

Philly Mom
11-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Yes please. Please include suggestions for daycare teachers. We are new to this.

hellokitty
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I am already finished with this. My kids had parent/teacher conferences two wks ago. It coincides with the school's scholastic book fair. Each teacher has a wish list of books at the fair. I bought several books for each teacher from her wish list. They included stickers to put inside the books to say which student it is from. I will just wrap these books up and my kids can give them to their teachers when it's closer to winter break. I feel that this is the best way for the teachers to get something that they actually want and can use. I'm sure they've gotten way too many food and toiletry items in the past. Part of this is myself just being sick and tired of clutter. I notice too that a lot of teachers are short on space in their classrooms, so I just want them to be able to actually utilize whatever it is that they get as a gift.

LD92599
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Vera Bradley Zip ID Cases

lfp2n
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Gift card to B & N or the Mall or Ulta or wherever seems appropriate. Usually bundle with some holiday themed chocolate from Lindt and a hand-made card from DD

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I am on the staff appreciation committee at our school and I created a survey for all of our staff members to fill out. I did it as a quick, simple Google Form that I emailed out and can easily access the results- as well as share them with my committee and room parents. I asked favorite restaurants, stores, charities, things they love for home and classroom, how they spend their spare time... That way we can really tailor gifts as we usually have classes pool $ for gifts vs individual ones.

I'm a fan of gift cards otherwise b/c they might not need/ want "stuff".

Philly Mom
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
For a GC, how much do you give?

ourbabygirl
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Last year I got DD's preschool & swim teachers & aides Amazon gift cards for $10 or $15. They were well received. :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2012, 02:45 PM
For a GC, how much do you give?

Depends on how many I have to buy. $10-25 usually. I like pooling resources with the whole class so everyone can chip in a comfortable for their budget amount and then buy a big g.c.. I have organized them for our classes before.

hbridge
11-12-2012, 02:48 PM
We're pairing these with things that DC is making (bookmarks, magnets, candles, ect.)

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/pottingshedcreations/the-Garden-dsh-in-dsh-a-dsh-Bag/Categories

Which one depends on the teacher. I purchased a variety when they were on sale at Lands End.

ETA: I would love to do GC's, but we have at least 10 teachers, aids, coaches, ect.; it gets too expensive too quickly.

wendibird22
11-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Not sure what we are doing this year. Last year all the daycare teachers (6 total) got VB notecard sets. The year before they got VB wristlets (closeout for $8ea). This year I have 2 daycare teachers and 1 kindi teacher. All 3 are very young women.

misshollygolightly
11-12-2012, 04:14 PM
In the past I've done nice hand sanitizers and/or liquid hand soap from Bath & Body Works. It always goes over well with our daycare and preschool workers. I know they go through a ton of sanitizer, and it's kind of nice to have something with a fun holiday scent and cute packaging instead of just the industrial version. I think people tend to be less picky about the scents of hand sanitizers/soap than, say, body lotion or bath gel. If, however, they really aren't crazy about the smell they can always just set it out in the classroom for the kids to use. Either way, I know it gets used and it seems to be appreciated!

We usually do a slightly larger/nicer gift for DS's main teacher and DD's daycare lady, and of course we include a little ornament or craft that the kids make themselves. Last year I gave DS's main teacher a gift card to our local teaching/art supply store and she seemed really appreciative of that.

maybeebaby08
11-12-2012, 04:28 PM
I got the holiday Eco mugs last month from the Eco Mom sale, I'm going to pair that with a gc for her
Teachers. For her main teacher I might add some Trader Joe treats, caramels or JoJos. I coupon so I might put together a classroom cake with tissues, soap, etc. that they use and I've gotten free/cheap. Usually the end of year is a bigger gift.

echoesofspring
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
This is our first year of daycare, so I'm new to all of this, but I know the woman that takes care of DS loves to bake and cook so I'm thinking maybe baking spice gift basket from Penzeys.

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
DD2 is in a home daycare with one teacher (who is the teacher who took care of DD1 as well until this summer). I usually get her a $100 Gift Card, either for Spa Finder or just a Visa Gift Card.

DD1 is in a preschool with two primary teachers. She also has a 2 before care teachers and 2 after care teachers. And there are a bunch of aids who work there. I'm not sure what I am going to do for those teachers. I may reach out to some of the other moms in the class and see what they are interested in doing.

KrisM
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I do gift cards. I try to find out what they really like and do that, or Target. This year:

Preschool: TJMaxx
Preschool: Amazon
1st grade: fave restaurant
3rd grade: Amazon

everyone else Target or Amazon. I do $10-15.

AnnieW625
11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Last year I bought a couple sets of the Tervis Christmas tumblers (from The Beall's Florida sale) and didn't use all of them so I am going to give them with a $20 gift card for Starbucks or Einstein Bagels since the cups are good for hot or cold liquids. I have to buy for 3 people at DD2's daycare, plus 2 at DD1's after care.

I am giving $20 for DD1's teacher, and $15 each for the two aides in her class. That will be a group gift.

Nyfeara
11-12-2012, 09:12 PM
At our daycare/preschool, the kids rotate thru different subject areas and have different teachers for each subject area. I never want to forget anyone, so we typically send a fresh fruit arrangement from Edible Arrangements or something like that. We know they get a lot of holiday goodies and they usually appreciate the more 'healthy' snack. It has been well received. We usually try to do it about 2 weeks before Christmas and on a Monday or Tuesday so that they have time to enjoy it.

pomegranate
11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I usually do gift cards - Starbucks, Target, etc. even though this doesn't seem very personalized. They seem to be well received. But this year for DS' main Jr-K teacher, I'm going to get a Shutterfly mug (the Best Teacher/apple mug) and put on it a photo I got of the entire class with her on it. I think it's her first year teaching so I thought this mug would have more meaning for her. And it'll be a photo of the whole class so it's not like I'm just giving her a mug with my kid's photo on it. I will probably add a gift card and maybe some edible items inside of it.

traciann
11-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I am getting dd2's preschool teachers $20 gc to the movies. For DD1's teacher I am getting her a $25 gc to Macy's. I had dd ask where her teacher likes to shop and that is one of the places.

kmkaull
11-12-2012, 11:31 PM
When I was teaching, I loved gift cards most of all. I received (and respectfully recycled) millions of candles, mugs, soaps, lotions, and food items.

I'm in a fairly small town, so I try to buy Chamber of Commerce "bucks" that can be used at local businesses. Those have been well received.

ellies mom
11-12-2012, 11:43 PM
This year I've decided to make those rice heating/cooling pads. The hospital gave me one when DD2 was born and I still use it all the time. We had tried a new brand of rice from Costco and then decided we didn't like it. Now, I've got something like 15 pounds of rice in my pantry. Combined with a stash of flannel and essential oil, I figure I can make one for each teacher (I think two per child) and then tuck in a gift card for the main teachers.

Cam&Clay
11-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Take it from a teacher...gift cards.

No mugs. No lotions. No Christmas ornaments.

Melbel
11-13-2012, 12:52 AM
After serving as a homeroom mom who coordinated Holiday/End of Year Gifts for five years, I have to agree that gift cards are the way to go. We have given personalized Lands End totes before (to hold the group gift cards).

rlmomto5
11-13-2012, 02:50 AM
I have lots of teachers in my family, and they all said "gift cards"!!! I give my children's main teachers $15 gc's to either Starbucks or Target. My daughter is special needs, so I get her aides and extra teachers $10 gc's. They always seem very pleased! :)

mjs64
11-13-2012, 03:27 AM
In the past I've done nice hand sanitizers and/or liquid hand soap from Bath & Body Works. It always goes over well with our daycare and preschool workers. I know they go through a ton of sanitizer, and it's kind of nice to have something with a fun holiday scent and cute packaging instead of just the industrial version.

Awesome idea!

NJ_Mom2011
11-13-2012, 04:26 AM
I gave cash in pretty holiday cards. I think that we gave $15 to each person, and it was about 6 different people. My daughter's daycare is pretty downscale, where many of the day care workers are recent immigrants who shop at cash-only ethnic stores. I was afraid to give them Target gift cards, as I worried that they just don't shop there.

I guess for this year I would give them Wal-Mart gift cards, as everyone shops there, if I feel giving cash is just too crass. Does any one have opinions about giving straight out cash in the day care setting? I am especially interested in anyone who has worked in a day care.

jacksmomtobe
11-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Our state actually has an ethics law in what public teachers may accept value wise and our school also has a policy as well. For Christmas this year we are trying a new thing and going to have the Teachers created a book wish list as they have been saying they would like more books for their classroom libraries since they get less from our book fair due to a new book fair vendor. Last year for some of the class gifts a few Room Parents got tote bags from ll bean and asked families to bring in a favorite 2nd grade book to fill the bag. Prev funds were donated so books could be purchased for our school library in a teacher's honor. The changes are to make the gift giving more of a direct connection to the Teacher. Due to our rules I previously gave Lakeshore (teacher supplies store) gift cards and I usually give a package of homemade cookies.

I think if you are giving a gift, a gift card is more useful than an object. I think a homemade note from your child is nice but other homemade items probably gets old after a while. However I am someone who is anti clutter so that may taint my perspective.

lchang25000
11-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I usually give a gift card with homemade card in the amount of $30 to DS's teacher and $100 cash to our nanny.

MSWR0319
11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Yes please. Please include suggestions for daycare teachers. We are new to this.

:yeahthat:

fedoragirl
11-13-2012, 10:09 AM
I used to get the Vera Bradley stuff and it is so not my style. It all went to Goodwill.
I would love to get gift cards but that's not considered the norm here (read impolite) and so I have to rack my brain for something inexpensive, fun, and special. Last year, I gave a goody bag of edibles from home (as in good ol' USA). That went over very well.
Any suggestions?

Clarity
11-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Last year I gave the teacher, the principal and the school secretary a envirosax bag and a hanging purse holder. They SEEMED to like them and the kindy teacher approached me when I ran into her in town about how much she had wanted a purse holder and was thrilled to have gotten one.

I would definitely think about your school secretaries when you buy holiday gifts. They do so much work and are often overlooked, I think. Plus, they're the ones that can make things HAPPEN! :)

mcmanutm
11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
When I was teaching, I loved gift cards most of all. I received (and respectfully recycled) millions of candles, mugs, soaps, lotions, and food items.

:yeahthat:

Loved when my class chipped in and got me a very nice gift card to Pottery Barn (yay...was able to get the Daily System) and a very pretty ornament from there. Class gifts to a favorite store or restaurant are SO nice. I also appreciated nice ornaments with the child's name and year written on the back....love putting them up and remembering those kids. Now, not everyone likes ornaments.

Books from the book fair wish list are nice too...though more for the kids than the teacher. Also, I've received indoor recess games before, which was a great idea. Maybe add a small gift card to this so the teacher has something for herself/himself.

No apple/generic "teacher" gifts...really what can one do with all that? Not to sound ungrateful, it is definitely the thought that counts...but I would have rather received a nice thank you note from a family than generic teacher stuff.

iaam
11-29-2012, 12:39 AM
In previous years we gave pre-school teachers cash with a small gift (so that we had something to wrap, which the kids enjoyed doing). This year I am giving them GCs to Kohls ($50) that I got when I redeemed thousands of CC points (corporate card) + a small gift, maybe a flower vase or picture frame (again, for wrapping fun).

I am a firm believer that teacher's don't need more stuff, which is why we do cash/GCs. Maybe I should drop the wrapped gift too!

belovedgandp
11-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Our elementary school is a well oiled machine for soliciting funds for class group gifts. As a room parent I've put these packages together for birthday, holiday and appreciation. The teachers all have sheets with things like favorite place to shop, eat, hobbies, etc. Especially in the younger grades, the kids want to SEE something presented to the teacher and don't find GC to be that exciting. I'd spend 95% of the funds on GCs and put it a basket with their favorite snack foods, drinks, and things like that for the visual. Last year my son's teacher had a "camping" theme to her classroom and talked about going camping over the summer, so we did a gift basket with fixings for S'Mores for the kids to see something and grocery store gift cards.

For preschool the group gifts weren't as organized, but my kids wanted to give something. I'd do travel size antibacterial or lotion with the gift card.

When I know the person well enough, I can figure out the fast food, coffee, or shopping places they like and get GCs from them. Otherwise, my standard is Target or using Discover Card cashback for completely generic GCs.

I also knit and have made cowls and bags for a few, but only when I was extremely confident on color choices and that it would be used.

brgnmom
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Gift cards, although I'm uncertain about the $ amounts.

Last year, my dc1's kindergarten teacher did not seem particularly enthusiastic about the $10 gift card that we contributed to the gift card tree (she received several different gift cards to various stores) and my son told me that she remarked about the larger gift card from another family, when he had asked if she saw the one he gave. Fortunately, we switched schools...

PZMommy
11-29-2012, 01:58 AM

Last year, my dc1's kindergarten teacher did not seem particularly enthusiastic about the $10 gift card that we contributed to the gift card tree (she received several different gift cards to various stores) and my son told me that she remarked about the larger gift card from another family, when he had asked if she saw the one he gave. Fortunately, we switched schools...

How horrible and rude of the teacher to say that! I'm grateful if it is a $5 gift card. Last year one of my best gifts was a $5 giftcard to Starbucks.

I mostly get the little knick knacks and things like that, most of which I don't have room for. I love to get gift cards no matter how small, as I can always get a little treat with them. I also like books or games that can be donated to my classroom library. One year I got a case of diet coke. The mom had no clue what to get me, and her daughter told her mom that I always came back from lunch with a diet coke. I was thrilled as it was practical and I certainly could use it! :)

blisstwins
11-29-2012, 02:04 AM

This is horrible...

I am a teacher and our school has strict limits on what we can receive. Parents used to give crazy and inappropriate gifts (wealthy private school). Now we get loads of homemade baked goods, which we open and share in the faculty lounge. It is very, very sweet, but I do feel funny eating it. Honestly, I had a middle school girl who actively ate her boogers and popped pimples in class and she gave me homemade brownies. I actually adore the kids and appreciated the sentiment, but I could not even out those out to share. One family gives $5 Ben and Jerry's coupons and I think that is awesome. Really, the sweet notes mean the most. I would die of happiness if someone gave me a case of diet coke--thoughtful and practical!

jjordan
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I think we're doing homemade chocolate granola this year; possibly regular homemade granola as well.

ETA: Gift cards are tricky because we're extremely rural and most chain places (starbucks etc) are over an hour away. For local places, it would pretty much have to be the local grocery store - and lots of people only go there when they have to! So we usually do homemade food that won't quickly go bad (so that it doesn't get wasted if it's not eaten right away).

emily
11-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Dinner and a movie. Whenever Costco has a sale on movie tickets, I stock up to give to our daycare teachers. Costco also has discounted gift cards to local restaurants (including one right across the street from the movie theater). This year all 6 of our teachers and aides will get a pair of movie tix and a $25 GC to the restaurant. Cost to me is about $32 per person.

specialp
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM

That's horrible. Several of my friends are teachers and they LOVE the $5 GC they get to a coffee/pastry shop next door to the school.

lmh2402
11-29-2012, 10:54 AM
brgnmom, that is seriously awful and vile. i hope you said something to the director

we did GC. last year i think we did amex. made sure there was no expiration, etc. it's just one teacher and one aide, and they were SO good with DS. so we did $50 for teacher and $30 for aide, plus a little sweet treat for each of them. will probably do the same amount this year.

the class also pools for a group gift, but the amount collected is not that much per child - a total of $35 that will be used for the holiday gift AND the end of year gift

ZeeBaby
11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Last year we did $25 Visa giftcards for the main teacher and $15 for the assistant teacher. We do one week of pay for our daycare provider. She is closed Christmas week, but doesn't charge us for a vacation week. This year each DD has one main teacher who will get $20-$25 giftcard. I will also do a smaller gift to share with the assistant teachers. They rotate this year and DDs are spending most of their time with the main teacher.

brgnmom
12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
That's horrible. Several of my friends are teachers and they LOVE the $5 GC they get to a coffee/pastry shop next door to the school.

brgnmom, that is seriously awful and vile. i hope you said something to the director

we did GC. last year i think we did amex. made sure there was no expiration, etc. it's just one teacher and one aide, and they were SO good with DS. so we did $50 for teacher and $30 for aide, plus a little sweet treat for each of them. will probably do the same amount this year.

the class also pools for a group gift, but the amount collected is not that much per child - a total of $35 that will be used for the holiday gift AND the end of year gift

Sorry I haven't responded until now - I didn't want to take away from the main premise of the thread.

I didn't tell the principal at the private religious school about the incident, but we just ended up switching to a public school in a different district to which we moved and it has worked out much better on many levels. I'm still friends with a few parents at the prior school, and even though they don't know the specifics about what happened, the kindergarten teacher there has apparently had a rep about not being particularly kind.

Oh, the $10 gift card we contributed last year was for a gift card TREE, and so the teacher received other gift cards from 29 families if they decided to contribute as well. We also contributed an extra $20 to help purchase a tablet for the teacher, since not everyone contributed for the additional gift.

This year, I've bought a $20 gift card to Target for my DD's teacher who she sees once per week. I'm also giving a pair of movie tickets for my DS's teacher, and I also bought a hand sanitizer made at a special boutique in Sonoma Valley, CA (with apparently less % alcohol than what most other hand sanitizers on the market contain). Neither schools have decided to participate in class gifts.

wendibird22
12-04-2012, 11:48 AM
No class gift for DD1's K class and we have 2 daycare teachers and a director to buy for. I snagged a few Envirosax on their 1/2 off sale and will couple that with a Wegmans gift card for each.

maestramommy
12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
I am pretty sure that all of our teachers this year are coffee drinkers. One of my friends started a micro-roasting coffee business this year, and her coffee is GOOD. I am going to gift a bag of coffee to the teachers. If I have time I will add baked treats.

wendmatt
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
DD is a little environmentalist so we are sending her teacher a gc to Amazon via email this year!

Dream
12-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I bought 2 Amex GC for $50 each for the 2 teachers in her class. She has a different teacher for language and ballet which is once a week. I don't know whether I should get something for them too.

This is the first year we're doing this so I'm still trying to figure this out. And if I go to her school at an odd time I see couple of ladies with mops and cleaning so I kind of feel bad not giving them something as I guess these are the people that keeps the school clean etc.

twowhat?
12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
We always do GC too, usually Target. I'm reluctant to give any sort of actual gift (unless it's completely consumable) after seeing all the stuff my mom gets every year and has no use for. I will probably just do $20 each for all 4 teachers (main teacher + assistant teacher in the class the girls are in now and the class the girls were in before this one).

Mikey0709
12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I posted this last year also-

My dad is a custodian at an elementary school. He has pulled EVERYTHING from Vera Bradley to Bath and Body out of trash cans. Tons! Of food related gifts just get left in the lounge. One year he brought home 8 jars of homemade cookie mix ingredients...all in a beautiful jar with ribbon (must have been in a magazine). He has brought home candles, books, gloves, coffee, and even art supplies. My dad is the kind of person who can't stand seeing it trashed-bags get dropped at goodwill!!! We make sure the food doesn't go to waste.

You may think your getting a great reaction from a gift-but would you seriously expect a bad reaction if they didn't like it??

Everyone has different taste.

I'm doing a kind note, and cash.

alexsmommy
12-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I posted this last year also-

My dad is a custodian at an elementary school. He has pulled EVERYTHING from Vera Bradley to Bath and Body out of trash cans. Tons! Of food related gifts just get left in the lounge. One year he brought home 8 jars of homemade cookie mix ingredients...all in a beautiful jar with ribbon (must have been in a magazine). He has brought home candles, books, gloves, coffee, and even art supplies. My dad is the kind of person who can't stand seeing it trashed-bags get dropped at goodwill!!! We make sure the food doesn't go to waste.

You may think your getting a great reaction from a gift-but would you seriously expect a bad reaction if they didn't like it??

Everyone has different taste.

I'm doing a kind note, and cash.

My girlfriends Dad is also a custodian at an elementary school and tells a similar tale.

My mom was a teacher and she would be gleeful over her Borders GC's, whereas the homebaked items we're never eaten, the lotions were never used (we all have sensitive skin), the mugs would go to Salvation Army (there is a definite maximum storage capacity for cute/quirky mugs), the ornaments were donated as well (she preferred to showcase the homemade ornaments we, her own children had made, or ones she collected with special meaning to our family)... you get the picture. She was always gracious and ohhed and ahhed over the homemade gifts, and she appreciated the effort they took, but really, she was left feeling badly that they weren't appreciated in a practical sense and that the effort was often wasted.
I give gift certs unless I know the teacher really well and know that I got her something she would really appreciate.

chottumommy
12-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Gift cards to Target or Amazon and a picture of the kids with the teacher with a thankyou note on the back. I don't like doing food treats during holiday since there seems to be an abundance of that already.

kellij
12-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Wow, she is awful!!! My mom works in a VERY poor school district and never gets anything. At all. Once in a blue moon she'll get a tiny cup of candy or some lotion, or something along those lines. She would faint and then have a party if she got a $5 gift card! So to op, some of the amount may depend on how poor your area is for what is the norm, I guess.

KDsMommy
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Is $50 gc too much for a teacher to accept? I volunteer in DS' k class every Friday so get to see his teacher in action. I also see how much $$$ she spends on the kids. She's an exceptional teacher and is very good with my challenging DS. I'd like to give her a $50 Amex gc but obviously want to be sure she can accept it.

Tenasparkl
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Is $50 gc too much for a teacher to accept? I volunteer in DS' k class every Friday so get to see his teacher in action. I also see how much $$$ she spends on the kids. She's an exceptional teacher and is very good with my challenging DS. I'd like to give her a $50 Amex gc but obviously want to be sure she can accept it.

That's the amount I do for our preschool teachers. I usually do Target cards for xmas and a different store for when they leave the class at the end of the year (Gap or Nordstrom usually).

glbb35
12-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow, I must be really out of the loop or have turned cheap over the years.

I taught several years ago and never ever did we receive such expensive gift cards. We received the typical mugs, lotions, baked items etc and we gladly accepted them. I received some books and the occasional gift certificate for like $5 to a local teacher's store or sometimes a restaurant. Only once did I receive some cash. I am stunned that people are thinking about $50 plus to teachers both school age and preschool. I have multiple kids and they have multiple teachers and side teachers and aides and goodness gracious you could be looking at $1000's! When you add in money for all the other side things in school it seems to be getting ridiculous. I am all for getting a teacher (someone who spends a lot of time and energy with your student. They have so much invested) something nice especially during the holidays but I have to wonder in the years since I got out how it all became like this. A gc is a nice gift but honestly there isn't much thought to it. And I don't' mean to offend anyone. SIL asked me for a GC and I told her no b/c there wasn't any point to a gift exchange if we say just trade gc's. Yes, teachers, staff I know are different than an exchange with an IL .

What ever happened to random acts of kindness and the thought behind the message? What message do our kids get when we pick up a GC and put it in an envelope. I like to do something for the teacher with the kids. This is the kids way to show THEIR appreciation. I guess if it ends up in the trash or on a table left then they really didn't appreciate it or message to begin with. Just my 2 cents. Do they expect this stuff these days? I may be so out of the loop. My friend is a teacher. I am going to ask her. So much is done for our teachers and staff at school throughout the year here, it seems to be almost to the point of ridiculous. Teachers getting huge GC baskets worth hundreds if not more. DS #1's 1st gr. teacher specifically say that if the class was going to get something then were are make it a small gift and not go over the moon. Even they think too many gc's is a lot. Instead the room mom gave her gc basket and I don't think she appreciated it all that much.

What do you do when the kids look forward to making a hot cocoa jar and you have like 13+ to make and can't afford $50 presents? My kids were looking forward to making hot chocolate for their teachers (we have already donated $$$$ to their classes and aides towards the class gift) and to the coach and piano teacher. Heck if we give expensive GC then we won't be able to do the sports or piano in the spring! What do I tell the kids? After reading this post I am thinking we shouldn't do anything but that isn't a good lesson for the kids. AS a former teacher I still have all the "stuff" too. I have slowly whittled it down and often we would trade lotions and such. Some years we received so many baked goods that we would rotate them in the staff room for shared treats. I never would have thought to throw them away though. I still have the fake diamond ring given to me by a student who saved her allowance money to purchase this $5 ring from Walmart!

I was going to go to Costco to purchase the supplies for the cocoa but now I think a simple note might be needed to reign this back in.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11

Tenasparkl
12-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Wow, I must be really out of the loop or have turned cheap over the years.

I taught several years ago and never ever did we receive such expensive gift cards. We received the typical mugs, lotions, baked items etc and we gladly accepted them. I received some books and the occasional gift certificate for like $5 to a local teacher's store or sometimes a restaurant. Only once did I receive some cash. I am stunned that people are thinking about $50 plus to teachers both school age and preschool.

I think this is a location thing. I'm talking about preschool in LA where my $50 gift card (only for DD's actual teachers, not everyone she comes in contact with at school) is probably not the biggest gift that they'll get. I can't afford to compete with DDs classmate's mom the well known actress.;)

brgnmom
12-06-2012, 02:11 AM
I think this is a location thing. I'm talking about preschool in LA where my $50 gift card (only for DD's actual teachers, not everyone she comes in contact with at school) is probably not the biggest gift that they'll get. I can't afford to compete with DDs classmate's mom the well known actress.;)

I agree. It's location-driven in a lot of ways.

My 2-year-old gave her Montessori teacher the gc and even though they just see each other one morning per week, I felt that the amount wasn't enough. But if I gave more, I don't know if it'd be allowed. I know that at the grad school level, I had given a $50+ gift to my adviser, and she told me she couldn't accept it and returned my gift to me (based upon the school's policy).

I do think that a thoughtful note, card or drawing should be appreciated as much as (or ideally more than) a gc or other token gift.

LBW
12-08-2012, 08:36 AM
drugstore.com has the Lifefactory glass water bottles (http://www.drugstore.com/lifefactory-glass-water-bottle-with-silicone-sleeve-22-oz-spring-green/qxp310837?catid=184343) on sale for 20% off. I was thinking about getting them as teacher gifts. I have one, and it's great. Think it's a good idea? I'd probably do the spring green or pearl color.

In the past, I've given canvas totes (Lands End, LL Bean), movie gift cards, target gift cards, book store gift cards, etsy wrist key chains. All were well received.

o_mom
12-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I was going to go to Costco to purchase the supplies for the cocoa but now I think a simple note might be needed to reign this back in.

I would go with just the note, TBH. Most of the replies that I read in this thread mentioned GCs in the $5-15 range, not $50. That has been our usual level. I like the group gifts, personally.

Regardless of if we give a gift card, group gift or something else, my kids always make a card and write a thank you note to their teachers for holiday and end of year gifts.

Mommy_Mea
12-08-2012, 09:42 AM
We are giving iTunes and target gift cards, along with handmade chocolates or cookies, and notecards "made" by the kids (or at last scribbled on). Unless I know the teachers really need something specific, I don't want to contribute to more "stuff", and I figure a little shipping spree to target might be nice :-)

MommyofAmaya
12-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Just picked up Sephora gift cards for our 4 Montessori teachers and I love that they come inside a mirrored compact, and each is put into a small Sephora gift bag with red tissue paper. They will be much more fun to gift than a standard card

elephantmeg
12-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm doing gift cards to walmart (one of the few options in our small town) in varying amts-$15 to DS main teacher, $10 to the aide who really belongs to another kid but works a TON with DS. $10 each to DD's 4 teachers and the bus driver. I've written a heart felt note with each one.