PDA

View Full Version : Night time PT question

BabbyO
11-12-2012, 02:11 PM
DS daytime pt'd several months ago but hasn't gotten the hang of nighttime. He's gone several times for 5 nights in a row completely dry. When he'd done this, we've let him wear underwear to bed (usually on weekends). Inevitably, every time he wears underwear to bed he ends up wetting - usually about 3 am.

We don't change our schedule...we don't allow more or less water/liquids before bed - usually I try to limit liquids as much as I can, but we eat dinner late.

Anyway, DS has consistently been asking to wear underwear to bed. He's went 5 night in a row again last week so on Friday night I said he could wear underwear. At 3 am he woke up completely soaked.

My question is how do we help him? He WANTS, asks to wear undies to bed...but clearly he isn't ready. He's almost 3.5 yo - so I'm not worried about it...but I also want to support him/help him if we can.

AnnieW625
11-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Let him put his undies over the pull up or diaper.

BabbyO
11-13-2012, 11:03 PM

yeah...we were thinking about this.

I'm also considering using 2 pr of undies. Maybe it is a snug thing. The pull up is more snug than undies...so maybe that would help.

KrisM
11-14-2012, 12:02 AM
What did he wear on Saturday? Do you switch him back to pullups? DS2, who night trained at just under 3, did the same thing. Finally, I just let him go a few nights and he got used to it, I guess. I do think it was a snug thing, etc. He woke up wet a few nights and then was fine after that. So, maybe just try 3-4 nights and see if he figures it out?

jgenie
11-14-2012, 12:38 AM
If you're okay with extra laundry for a few nights, I would just put him in underwear to sleep and ditch the pull-ups. When I potty trained both my boys we went cold turkey days and nights. DS1 was 3.75 yo and DS2 was 2.5 yo. DS1 caught on quicker than DS2 but DS2 has it down now. I changed a lot of sheets for DS2 but it's nice to be done now. DS2 wakes up at night if he needs to go to the bathroom and I take him. Good luck!

Tinochka
11-14-2012, 12:55 AM
I used an alarm, my son was exited. We were waking up couple times a night, but then he was coughing and everything went downhill. Now I know, why the alarm was off so often, but at a time we were both miserable and getting mad. I announced that I am done PT, my son was not happy, but then I decided to go different route. I knitted 2 woolen underwear (double layer), using HA training pants as a pattern. He had couple accidents, but what amazed me, that it was not soaking the bed at all. We just needed to change HA tr.pants and woolen undies, then he was able to stay dry! I hear him once in a while going to the bathroom, but most of the time he is o’k till morning. You don’t need to wash woolen pants every time, you just hang them dry and they do not stink. Once in a while you can wash with lanolin. My son loves his woolen undies, says they keep him warm. One other thing is good about wool, once it’s soaked, it still will have body temperature, not making him cold.
My 2nd one was dry during naps for half of the year and now is soaking them. I think that he reached the understanding of diapers. I have a hectic schedule right now, but I am planning to knit 2 undies for him and go cold turkey after New Year.
Good luck! It’s nice to be out of diapers!

BabbyO
11-14-2012, 10:43 AM
We were in pullups on Saturday night...but that was more a function of us being at grandmas after a party and him going to sleep in her bed.

Perhaps we'll just suck it up one of these weeks.

I love the idea of woolen undies...I wonder if I could find a crochet pattern. I can't knit, but I can crochet. Or maybe I can find them somewhere.

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2012, 11:33 AM
On the advice of another momma here, I take DD1 to the potty at 10:00 right before I go to bed. She is still half asleep, so I pick her up, carry her to the potty, sit her down, whisper "go peepee", she goes, I wipe her and put her back to bed. I do it again at 5/5:30 when I get up. Since we have been doing this, she has not had a single accident in bed.

hillview
11-14-2012, 11:38 AM

:yeahthat:

BabbyO
11-14-2012, 01:32 PM
On the advice of another momma here, I take DD1 to the potty at 10:00 right before I go to bed. She is still half asleep, so I pick her up, carry her to the potty, sit her down, whisper "go peepee", she goes, I wipe her and put her back to bed. I do it again at 5/5:30 when I get up. Since we have been doing this, she has not had a single accident in bed.

Unfortunately, DS is much like me...a very light sleeper. I've tried this when he's fallen asleep at dinner or driving home from somewhere and it always ends in disaster. He wakes up VERY upset and can't get back to sleep for an hour or more. I thought that would be our solution...but not so much.