PDA

View Full Version : Honey Baked Ham

jgenie
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking of ordering one for Thanksgiving. With shipping it will be almost $70. Are they really better than supermarket hams? We're not having a turkey this year since we generally don't eat much of it. TIA

Pennylane
11-12-2012, 04:43 PM
IMHO they are not better than the ham you buy and glaze in the grocery store.

Ann

Melbel
11-12-2012, 04:50 PM
We definitely prefer the honey baked hams over anything else we tried. We happened to serve it for dinner last night (hosting relatives). Costco has $100 HBH gift cards for $80. There was also a coupon in the paper for another $5 off. We were able to get an 8.5 lb ham with a small bone for net of $40, which is not bad considering the number of people served and the tasty leftovers. We have a local store, so there was no need to ship.

crl
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
At Dh's insistence we got a honey baked ham a couple of years ago. I think he remembered that as a treat from when he was a kid. I wasn't all that impressed. I like Costco's Kirkland hams better. But even better are the hams from a smokehouse not far from my parents. http://www.smokehouse.com/. Mom gets a city ham from them most holidays and dh was forced to concede that they are waaaay better than honey baked hams. They ship! I have no idea how the prices compare though.

Catherine

hellokitty
11-12-2012, 05:06 PM
They don't have any stores in your location? We have to drive 40 min to our closest one. Anyway, I don't think that there is a huge difference, but my DH swears that HBH taste better and that they do a better job of spiral cutting the ham. The other spiral cut ham we have bought from the grocery store isn't cut spiral all the way. DH thinks that's really annoying. I personally don't think that it is worth the extra cost of shipping if you don't have a store where you can pick it up. Oh and be aware that if you have a store to pick up at, the line is literally OUT the door, down the sidewalk! Be prepared!

Melbel
11-12-2012, 05:11 PM
At Dh's insistence we got a honey baked ham a couple of years ago. I think he remembered that as a treat from when he was a kid. I wasn't all that impressed. I like Costco's Kirkland hams better. But even better are the hams from a smokehouse not far from my parents. http://www.smokehouse.com/. Mom gets a city ham from them most holidays and dh was forced to concede that they are waaaay better than honey baked hams. They ship! I have no idea how the prices compare though.

Catherine

Those hams sound awesome! Out of curiosity, I checked pricing and it was $25-$32 more than we paid in store (not sure if HBH shipped is higher though). I think sometimes it is luck of the draw on ham quality, which is one reason I like to pick out the ham in person. We have not been as happy with the Costco Kirkland hams when we tried them a few times. Of course, individual tastes can vary. :)

hellokitty
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
I think sometimes it is luck of the draw on ham quality, which is one reason I like to pick out the ham in person.

This is an issue too. DH has a co-worker who is talented at picking the boneless quarter sized ham at HBH. If we get one, he has her get it (she usually goes and gets several hams for several ppl, since they like her skills). so he doesn't get one with a bone. I didn't grow up eating ham for the holidays, so I just think it's weird how ppl get so particular about it, lol.