PDA

View Full Version : WDW over the holidays

moosemama
11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
We're spending about 1.5 weeks in Florida over the holidays. I know we're crazy and it's going to be insanely busy, but we're thinking of doing 1 day at Disney (Magic Kingdom). DS is 6 and DD is 2. We'll be in Florida from ~Dec 24-Jan 3. Would any one day be better than the other or is it likely to be really busy every day?

WatchingThemGrow
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Grotesquely busy IME but check the crowd calendars.

cellenly
11-12-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm not going to say anything different than a crowd calendar would state, but the best day would be jan 3, then 2, then 1st. I actually thought it wasn't too bad after the first but maybe it was just because it was relative to the horrendous Christmas week crowd. I maybe had a skewed perspective at that point.
Note that around Christmas, the parks will close, meaning each park will hit capacity and you cannot get in. I think that happened mid morning-ish from what I recall. But then again, once you're in the park on those days, I can't say that I really enjoyed the experience, and if it were my sole choice, I would have just skipped the whole very inefficient day at the park, and saved my money.

Edited to add:
Free crowd calendar :
Easywdw.com

acmom
11-12-2012, 10:33 PM
We went the week after New Years once (starting on the 2nd) and I didn't think the crowds were that bad our first few days. In fact, Disney cast members kept commenting that we should be so glad that we were there on the 2nd/3rd ect. vs. New Years eve/day or christmas week.

So I would say go the 2nd or 3rd if you can! If it was me, I would avoid the 1st and days between Christmas and new Years if at all possible.

moosemama
11-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone. DH and I talked last night and decided it might be best to skip Disney this year. We'll try Legoland and/or Busch Gardens instead. They'll likely be busy too, but hopefully not quite as crazy. Maybe we'll just go to Downtown Disney for a few hours to give the kids a bit of a Disney experience.