PDA

View Full Version : P & PT please - family (loss mentioned)

wifecat
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
My Grandma died this weekend and she was basically the one who raised me. I am just a mess.

My whole family is heading to the funeral, and there's a lot of potential drama between my mom, my dad, his girlfriend, other family members...and I just don't want that to happen. I want us to gather together to remember the amazing and strong woman that my Grandmother was.

And on a side note, I basically feel like I'm being a terrible mom to my kids because I can't seem to lift myself out of this hole of grief. I feel like I just want to slap myself and tell myself to pull it together, but I can't seem to. It's only been a few days, but I don't like my kids seeing me like this.

So, prayers and positive thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks all.

KDsMommy
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Sending lots of prayers your way, be gentle with yourself.

maestramommy
11-12-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm so sorry. Strength to you and your family. :hug:

wellyes
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your kids can take a backseat to your grief. It is OK. Lean on them for comfort, and tell them (as best you can at their ages) to be easy on you right now.

elephantmeg
11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
hugs, hugs, hugs and P+PT. And do be gentle with yourself. It's OK to not be the strong one sometimes... Really it is. A great doc once told my MIL that life is a cycle of being the strong one and the one needing someone else to be strong... Allow someone else to be strong and allow yourself to demonstrate to your children that it is OK to really grieve someone that is special to you. Allow them to care for you and for you all to hold tight to each other. I am so sorry for your loss

liz
11-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I am sorry to hear about your grandmother :hug:

kdeunc
11-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself. :hug:

boogiemom
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Praying for strength and peace for you!

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2012, 06:30 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

larig
11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Sending you thoughts of strength and peace. I am so sorry that you have to say good-bye to someone so important to you. :grouphug:

hillview
11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
sorry for your loss. P&PT

g-mama
11-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

TwinFoxes
11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm very sorry for your lost. A few days is not nearly long enough. I actively mourned my mom for many, many months. I highly recommend grief counseling, if for no other reason than it's a safe place to cry for an hour without feeling you are burdening someone. :hug;

crl
11-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Prayers for you and your family.

Catherine

MamaMolly
11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Honey it hasn't even been a week! For heaven's sake, be kind to yourself. Grief is a process and you really can't rush it. I'm awfully sorry for your loss, and I hope your extended family can behave. Be sure to get your own hotel room so you can have some space if you need to take a breather.

wifecat
11-13-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm very sorry for your lost. A few days is not nearly long enough. I actively mourned my mom for many, many months. I highly recommend grief counseling, if for no other reason than it's a safe place to cry for an hour without feeling you are burdening someone. :hug;

Thank you. I may need that safe place to cry - I feel like I don't want to just absolutely fall apart in front of my kids, and so after they go to bed, then it's like I'm too numb to just fall apart (and frankly, when I want a glass of wine).

wifecat
11-13-2012, 12:21 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I can't believe how hard this is hitting me. I knew this was coming - it's not completely out of the blue - but the actuality of it has me feeling shell-shocked and completely withdrawn - totally not my personality. I know I need to give myself the same space I'd want someone else to have, but I'm not often as kind to myself as I might be to someone else.

jacksmomtobe
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
So sorry about your loss. As others have said be kind to yourself. Let yourself feel feelings of grief. You have lost someone special and significant in your life it is ok to let yourself feel the emotion attached to that. Your kids are young but there is a life lesson in that you don't have to always be strong. You are human. Hopefully you can rely on your so or a friend to give you some breaks from your kids so you can have some moments to yourself to reflect and remember your Grandmother.

kaharris83
11-13-2012, 09:40 AM
So sorry for your loss. Sending strength and PTs.