PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving menus--please share

fedoragirl
11-12-2012, 06:23 PM
So, all these Christmas threads already and I haven't even planned my Thanksgiving party.
I think I am making:
Alton Brown's turkey
cranberry sauce
gravy
green bean casserole
mashed potatoes
pumpkin soup

Haven't decided the dessert yet. No one in our family likes pumpkin pie. I want to try an apple pie but more of a tart than a pie. I am not a fan of double crusts (especially when I have to make the crust myself). Any suggestions for an easy dessert?
Last year I made sweet potato casserole and only 2 people ate it so I am skipping it this year. I love it but I can make it for myself at any time.
I would like to add some more green veggies but don't really know what to add except a salad and that doesn't seem "Thanksgiving-y" enough.

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Alton Brown's roast turkey but I use the Fire and Flavor brand brine kit. The gravy that the turkey produces tastes amazing!
mashed potatoes
corn pudding (using a recipe I got from these boards!)
cranberry apple relish
stuffing (simple one with celery and onion)
asparagus
rolls
candied sweet potatoes
roasted squash
pumpkin pie
apple pie

urquie
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Haven't decided the dessert yet. No one in our family likes pumpkin pie. I want to try an apple pie but more of a tart than a pie. I am not a fan of double crusts (especially when I have to make the crust myself). Any suggestions for an easy dessert?

Trader Joe's has an amazing pecan pie icecream. Would be weird not to have pie, but that icecream would be sooo easy, and hit the spot!

Fabulous and Easy Apple Pie - You don't have to roll this out or chill anything.

Crust - press into a pie pan then fill with apples and topping
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ ts sugar
1 t salt
½ cup oil
2 TB milk (add last, after the above is mixed, then try not to stir too much)

If you need a baked crust (fresh berry pie) – cook at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown, cool and fill.

Sprinkle 5 cups sliced apples
with ½ cups sugar
1 ts cinnamon

Topping - this will be crumbly and sprinkled on
½ cup sugar
¾ cup flour
1/3 cup butter, softened

Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes

Serve with whipped cream or icecream.

niccig
11-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Alton Brown's roast turkey but I use the Fire and Flavor brand brine kit. The gravy that the turkey produces tastes amazing!

I did this last year and the gravy was yummy. I was thinking of getting a TJ's brined turkey, so I don't have to do the brine, but it wasn't that much to make the brine..mmm. I'll have to think about it.

I split the menu with a friend. In past she's done the sides through Dream Dinners - i actually like their green bean casserole and I'm not a casserole fan. I do turkey, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie. Her DH gets pies delivered from clients, so I hold off on making pumpkin pie until night before. One Thanksgiving, she kept texting me as each pie got delivered. We ended up with 6 pies and 10 people.

Has anyone grilled their turkey? We've done chicken in roasting pan on grill and I was thinking of doing the turkey like this to free up my oven.

specialp
11-12-2012, 07:28 PM
AB's turkey
Dressing
cranberry relish (another Alton Brown)
Roasted greenbeans and mushrooms
sweet potato casserole
dessert -pumpkin bread pudding

sweetsue98
11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Where can I get this Alton brown recipe??

niccig
11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
AB's turkey
Dressing
cranberry relish (another Alton Brown)
Roasted greenbeans and mushrooms
sweet potato casserole
dessert -pumpkin bread pudding

Can I get the roasted green bean and mushrooms recipe?
Thanks.

dogmom
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Cider glazed Heritage bird
Sausage, parsnip, cranberry, apples stuffing (debating whether it will be bread or cornbread base)
While rice and grape stuffing (we might have a gluten free guest)
caramelized shallot mashed potatoes
kale and potato puree
brussel sprout slaw with pecans and mustard dressing
corn (kids request)
cranberry relish
chutney cranberry relish
bread/rolls of some kind (my MIL is in charge of buying those)
Boston cream pie (kids request)
pumpkin flan (love it, an it happens to be gluten free)

I'm hoping the other family comes, otherwise that's all for 3 adults and 2 kids. And I'm doing a 5 K in the am (with my son, his idea), which I am in no shape for and will probably puke half way through and still need to walk half of it.

specialp
11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Can I get the roasted green bean and mushrooms recipe?
Thanks.

roasted recipe: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/01/recipe-for-roasted-green-beans-with.html

When I don't have the oven space, I use the below recipe. I par cook gb, cook bacon, chop shallots & mushrooms the day before and finish it up stove top just before serving.

Holiday Green Beans with Mushrooms & Bacon
2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
8 slices of bacon
8 oz of bella or ****ake mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, minced
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & pepper

Cook green beans in boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water. Drain well.

Cook bacon (either in oven at 400 or stovetop), drain, crumble. Reserve 1 ½ Tbsp of bacon grease.

In hot skillet with bacon grease, sauté mushrooms & shallots until soft. Add green beans & red pepper and sauté until heated through. Season with Salt and pepper and add bacon on top.

ZeeBaby
11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
I can't even believe thanksgiving is next week. Great ideas for dishes in here. So far we have:
Turkey-Alton brown recipe looks good
Stuffing
Green beans w/ mushrooms- recipe on here looks good
Rice
Corn bread
Toss salad

AbbysMom
11-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Where can I get this Alton brown recipe??

There are a couple Alton Brown brine "recipes." I used this last year and it was hands down the yummiest turkey ever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000136041

We are also doing:
stuffing
mashed potatoes
green bean casserole
rolls
candied sweet potatoes
cranberry sauce
corn

For dessert, I'm thinking of going rogue and buying a Carvel Turkey ice cream cake.

sste
11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
This is my favorite turkey recipe!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/perfect-roast-turkey-recipe4/index.html

Momit
11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Not a vegetable but I love this stuffing recipe. Even my DH, who is not normally a stuffing fan, eats it.
Sunset Magazine artichoke Parmesan stuffing: http://m.myrecipes.com/details/searchR.rbml?id=10000001853922.xml&bcat=search&cat=Search%20Result&fl=recipe/artichoke-parmesan-sourdough-stuffing-10000001853922/

SnuggleBuggles
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Alton Brown's turkey:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html#

My favorite brine kit (you can buy it at Whole Foods and other stores):
http://www.amazon.com/FIRE-FLAVOR-Perfect-20-8-Ounce-Packages/dp/B001IZM90K/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1352768107&sr=1-3&keywords=fire+and+flavor

niccig
11-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Not a vegetable but I love this stuffing recipe. Even my DH, who is not normally a stuffing fan, eats it.
Sunset Magazine artichoke Parmesan stuffing: http://m.myrecipes.com/details/searchR.rbml?id=10000001853922.xml&bcat=search&cat=Search%20Result&fl=recipe/artichoke-parmesan-sourdough-stuffing-10000001853922/

Thanks. I was looking for a stuffing recipe.

Anyone have something with sweet potatoes? I don't like the marshmallows or too sweet recipes.

niccig
11-12-2012, 09:01 PM
roasted recipe: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/01/recipe-for-roasted-green-beans-with.html

When I don't have the oven space, I use the below recipe. I par cook gb, cook bacon, chop shallots & mushrooms the day before and finish it up stove top just before serving.

Holiday Green Beans with Mushrooms & Bacon
2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
8 slices of bacon
8 oz of bella or ****ake mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, minced
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
salt & pepper

Cook green beans in boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Drain and plunge into cold water. Drain well.

Cook bacon (either in oven at 400 or stovetop), drain, crumble. Reserve 1 ½ Tbsp of bacon grease.

In hot skillet with bacon grease, sauté mushrooms & shallots until soft. Add green beans & red pepper and sauté until heated through. Season with Salt and pepper and add bacon on top.

Thanks. I'll do one of these.

boogiemom
11-12-2012, 09:07 PM
My fave is Amaretto Cranberry Sauce. Amazing!!!

Recipe here:

http://www.heritagerecipes.com/holiday/Amaretto%20Cranberries%20Sauce.htm

jent
11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Funny, two days ago I was surfing past years' Thanksgiving thread for ideas!

Turkey- planning to try Alton Brown method this year
Stuffing (basic recipe from How to Cook Everything)
Cranberry sauce and/or cranberry relish
Shredded Brussels sprouts (test drove this recipe last night & DD had seconds: http://clookbook.com/2012/01/29/shredded-brussel-sprouts-with-brown-butter-and-garlic/)
Green beans almandine
Mashed potatoes (maybe Pioneer Woman's?)
Gingered butternut squash (also from How to Cook Everything)
Refrigerator rolls

My sister and BIL are in charge of dessert.

But, for simple desserts: pecan pie w/ ice cream, or mixed berry pie with streusel/crisp topping, any kind of fruit crisp (crisp toppings are easy to make in a food processor, and I'm fine with store bought pie crust on the bottom).

jent
11-12-2012, 09:48 PM
My favorite brine kit (you can buy it at Whole Foods and other stores):
http://www.amazon.com/FIRE-FLAVOR-Perfect-20-8-Ounce-Packages/dp/B001IZM90K/ref=sr_1_3?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1352768107&sr=1-3&keywords=fire+and+flavor

What is the flavor like? The "fire" part sounds smoky, which DH hates.

pomegranate
11-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm going to have to check out Alton Brown's turkey recipe! But here's what I have on my menu. It's just me, DH and DS this year.

Diestel fresh turkey
Homemade gravy made with giblet stock
Homemade cranberry sauce (just cranberries, sugar and water, boiled)
Sausage stuffing two ways: inside bird (preferred by me) and outside bird (preferred by DH)
Candied sweet potatoes w/marshmallows on top
Brussels sprouts (steamed, cut in half and then pan-fried in lots of chopped garlic and olive oil)
Roasted pumpkin soup (probably will pick up from SF Soup Co)
Apple pie (I like Mrs. Smith's frozen)
Veggie and chip platter

peanut520
11-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Menu is finalized:
Apps (veggie/hummus, cheese/crackers, shrimp cocktail, curry puffs)

AB’s turkey with a few modifications
Stuffing (not sure what kind since my brother is making it)
gravy
Roasted brussel sprouts
Corn casserole
Maple candied sweet potatoes
Only on thanksgiving mashed potatoes
Green bean and mushroom casserole
Mac and cheese
cranberry sauce (canmed jelly version and one homemade)
Rolls

Pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling
Pecan pie
Homemade vanilla whipped cream

boolady
11-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Turkey
Stuffing (simple family recipe-- celery, onions, poultry seasoning, fresh herbs, bread, lots of butter)
Mashed potatoes
Brussel sprouts
Sweet potatoes with apples
Pear-Cranberry Relish
Pumpkin Pie

ETA: This is my family's faux Thanksgiving that we'll have on Saturday, as we'll be with my in-laws on Thursday, and one of my sisters will be with her in-laws Thursday, as well. I don't actually know the menu for Thanksgiving, but DH's cousin is a fantastic cook, so I know it will be good.

echoesofspring
11-19-2012, 03:38 PM
We're trying to do a (mostly) low-carb dinner for DH and FIL.

MIL will make turkey, green beans, roasted sweet potatoes, and probably a philo dough appetizer (for her and I) with goat cheese, nuts and cranberries that is delish. She usually also does a soup.

I'm bringing
cranberry/apple/orange relish (hopefully no sugar needed or just a little bit of maple syrup)

gluten/sugar free pumpkin pie with a nut crust (DH requested pecans instead of walnuts, I'll give it a shot)
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-paleo-pie-crust/#axzz2CcvCcoCY

some sort of cornbread stuffing. Not low carb, but stuffing is my favorite dish, so I wanted to make something. I will make the cornbread gluten free, and DH may eat some of it.

hillview
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
restaurant :bag

kijip
11-19-2012, 04:37 PM
We are headed over to friend's house (we alternate years with them) and they are doing the turkey, sweet potato casserole, rolls, a couple of desserts and some other fixings. They asked me to bring sides, potatoes and a dessert.

I am bringing:

-curried cornbread cranberry apple stuffing stuffed into individual servings in 1/2 small roasted squash.

-Homemade Cranberry sauce with port.

-Mashed carrot, potato and rutabaga with garlic.

-Pumpkin pie in a pecan ginger crust (GF)

We are eating later because my husband is working until 5pm so I am also taking some small things to munch on-

Stuffed mushrooms
Peppers with roasted garlic goat cheese dip

boolady
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Peppers with roasted garlic goat cheese dip

Would you be willing to share the recipe for this? I have to bring an appetizer to DH's cousin's on Thursday, and this sounds delicious.

echoesofspring
11-19-2012, 05:16 PM
-Pumpkin pie in a pecan ginger crust (GF)

Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share for the crust? Sounds yummy!

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
What is the flavor like? The "fire" part sounds smoky, which DH hates.

I missed this, sorry! Not smoky at all. The brand makes grill rubs, I think, which is why it has a BBQ sounding name. They are just herbs and stuff.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm making this pumpkin casserole too. I tried it the other day and it was delicious!!
Pumpkin Casserole

1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/2 c. 2% milk
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and ground cinnamon to taste. Spoon into a casserole dish.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.

lizzywednesday
11-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Turkey - AB/Good Eats method, but pre-brined TJ's bird
mashed potatoes
sweet potato casserole
green bean casserole
salad?
cranberry sauce (TJ's refrigerated)
cranberry-orange relish (TJ's refrigerated)
stuffing (cooked outside the bird)
"marshmallow rolls"

And pie, pie and more pie for dessert.

Dream
11-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Chicken :bag
Spicy cranberry chutney
Mash potato
Au Gratin
Chicken pot pie
Garlic Bread
Garvy
Apple crumble pie

m448
11-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Brined Turkey from TJ's with whatever I feel like putting on it. Growing up mom would slather it in salt and yellow mustard then let it air dry overnight in the fridge before roasting. I prefer the AB method of roasting but don't bother with the brining step myself since I buy the prebrined bird.

Gravy from the drippings and neckbone.

Riff on PW's mashed potatoes - the one with cream cheese, heavy cream and butter.

Cornbread dressing (a recipe based on the cracker barrel version which is almost the same as every Georgian household).

PW's cranberry sauce

Caramelized green beans (my own, I just caramelize an obscene amount of onions in olive oil and throw the green beans on a screaming high heat. They steam sautee and pick up some crispy bits).

Logan's Roadhouse copycat rolls (because no matter how southern my DH's menu there's nothing like a super pillowy, sweet roll with tons of butter for both the meal and the leftovers)

For dessert I'll be making Swedish Crustless Apple Pie

http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/family-recipes/swedish-apple-pie

and Sweet Potato Pie (based on a paula deen recipe but I deviate a bit).

I cook the whole thing myself so I keep it low key but festive and yummy. Growing up latin in the US we had my mom's aforementioned bird, the gravy (which was delicious), rice made with the juices of the bird, potato salad, pastelitos and once I grew up to take over the baking my pumpkin pie or a cheesecake. I'm married to a south georgia boy so he gets his southern thanksgiving, I get my dominican christmas and then we do finger food for new year's even.

speo
11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
We are doing things different this year and it is just us. Normally we have 20 people over and it is stressful. I have been sick and I just didn't feel like dealing with it so it is just us.

We are having:
Turkey - brined, America's Test Kitchen method (DH does this)
homeade cranberry sauce
mashed potatoes
roasted green beans with slivered almonds
stuffing
maybe corn casserole
TJs cranberry walnut bread (it is sooo good)
gravy - I am buying this from a local market (Bristol Farms)

Coscto pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream

I expect this to cover and extra 2 days worth of dinners too. :D

m448
11-19-2012, 06:39 PM
We are doing things different this year and it is just us. Normally we have 20 people over and it is stressful. I have been sick and I just didn't feel like dealing with it so it is just us.

We are having:
Turkey - brined, America's Test Kitchen method (DH does this)
homeade cranberry sauce
mashed potatoes
roasted green beans with slivered almonds
stuffing
maybe corn casserole
TJs cranberry walnut bread (it is sooo good)
gravy - I am buying this from a local market (Bristol Farms)

Coscto pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream

I expect this to cover and extra 2 days worth of dinners too. :D

LOL, that's the BEST part of cooking for Thanksgiving and Christmas. When planning the week's menu like I usually do it's so satisfying to instant label the day after as Leftovers. Sigh.

kijip
11-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Would you be willing to share the recipe for this? I have to bring an appetizer to DH's cousin's on Thursday, and this sounds delicious.

Easy peasy.

Roast up a couple of heads of garlic (I brush with oil, wrap in foil and cook at 400 till nice and done). Squeeze the roasted garlic out of cloves and then mix with goat cheese and a little salt and pepper. Thin with a touch of olive oil if desired. I dice up bell peppers for dipping but it's great with crackers and bread, just none for me because I can't have gluten.

kijip
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share for the crust? Sounds yummy!

Preheat oven to 350

Combine:

2 cups ground up pecans
1/2 cup almond meal
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I just grate as much fresh ginger as we like to taste but my husband likes more ginger than most)
~1/2 cup brown sugar

Press into lightly greased pie pan and bake for 12 minutes. Don't over cook and let cool before filling it.

Fill with preferred custard filling.

For pumpkin pie, leave the shell uncooked and pour your preferred pumpkin filling recipe in and bake. Nut crusts can burn so bake a little further away from the element than you would usually and lower temp a little. I have my fresh roasted pumpkin ready to go, I usually just prep it with whole cream, egg and ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

sste
11-19-2012, 07:35 PM
We are going to ILs but I am bringing:

cranberry port-fig sauce
apple and onion "stuffin' muffins"

Our family friends that we celebrate with do a really cool but I think time intensive dish that involves sweet potatoes in hollowed out orange shells with a few marshmallows dotted on top.

niccig
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm hosting. Normally I share the menu with our friend, but her kitchen is being renovated, so she can't make anything.

TJs brined turkey cooked Alton Brown's method
Mashed potatoes - similar to pioneer woman's recipe
Cornbread stuffing - pioneer woman's recipe
Grilled asparagus on the grill (DH will do this)
Cranberry sauce - follow recipe on pack.
Maple glazed sweet potato
gravy

Friend is buying rolls, fixings for a salad, pies (her DH gets them delivered from clients, so we'll have whatever he gets), and drinks.

I'm going to make as much as possible beforehand. Eg. Wed. I'll do the cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and prep as much for the stuffing as I can. Thursday morning, I'll finish off stuffing. Do turkey then heat up everything else while turkey is resting.

TxCat
11-19-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm hosting MIL and FIL, and a family friend is coming over too, so it will be a fairly small gathering - just 5 of us plus DD, who never eats anything! However, DH is vegetarian, which complicates things.

Turkey (just planning to get several slices of white and dark meat roast turkey from Whole Foods)
Cornbread stuffing (WF)
Vegan Quorn roast (for DH, although I like it too)
Sweet potato casserole with streusel topping and marshmallows
whipped parsnip, turnip, and potato casserole with a panko crust
steamed green beans with a dried cranberry vinaigrette
Homemade cranberry sauce
Pumpkin cranberry bread
Low-fat pumpkin pie with a gingersnap pecan crust (a-mazing!)

Penny's Pappa
11-19-2012, 10:19 PM
There are a couple Alton Brown brine "recipes." I used this last year and it was hands down the yummiest turkey ever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000136041

This is the exact same method we use and it makes PERFECT turkey. I used to hate white meat; it was so dry and bland. With this method the meat is tender and juicy and packed with natural flavor.

Also on the menu:

Green Bean Casserole
Corn
Candied Yams
Homemade Chicken Noodles on Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Rolls
Cranberry Jello Salad (http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1843,149184-249207,00.html)
Pumpkin Pie

echoesofspring
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
For pumpkin pie, leave the shell uncooked and pour your preferred pumpkin filling recipe in and bake.

Thank you for the recipe and the tips!

jenstring95
11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
We are having a fairly ridiculous amount of food for 6 people, 2 of whom are children...

-Turkey (DH is making this in the smoker for the first time - might have him throw in a chicken or some sausage since there will be room...)
-Ham (DS request)
-Stuffing (technically dressing, I suppose)
-sweet potato casserole
-green bean casserole (different from the mushroom soup and crunchy onions)
-3 bean salad
-rolls
-gravy (from the jar, if we're being honest)
-mashed potatoes
-squash casserole
-corn pudding/casserole thing (I forget what it is actually called)
-cranberry sauce (just the jellied stuff from the can)

for dessert:
-pumpkin pie (Costco - parents are bringing)
-buttermilk pie
-pumpkin crumb cake type thing

boolady
11-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Easy peasy.

Roast up a couple of heads of garlic (I brush with oil, wrap in foil and cook at 400 till nice and done). Squeeze the roasted garlic out of cloves and then mix with goat cheese and a little salt and pepper. Thin with a touch of olive oil if desired. I dice up bell peppers for dipping but it's great with crackers and bread, just none for me because I can't have gluten.

Thanks!