PDA

View Full Version : s/o Which martial arts do your DCs take?

TwinFoxes
11-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I'm really interested in signing the girls up to try out a martial art. I'm just not sure which one. It seems that Tae Kwon Do is very popular, but I don't know why that is. Is it easier for little kids to learn? Does anyone's DCs take another martial art? Any pros-cons for the other various martial arts? TIA!

katydid1971
11-13-2012, 11:03 AM
DS takes Karate but I don't know how that is different than Tae Kwon Do. They also teach Judo at DS's dojo but only big kids (I think over 8) can take it. It has throws and and falls, Karate doesn't.

smiles33
11-13-2012, 11:07 AM
DD1 takes kajukenbo. DH chose it after visiting all the local martial arts studios, primarily because he liked the focus on family values, respect and learning. Some studios are very commercial, meaning they push belt tests (charging money for those too). I suggest visiting and observing a class if you can't ask other local parents.

Jen841
11-13-2012, 11:08 AM
My son has been doing Kempo since he was 5. Honestly we did not check the various forms, the Dojo was HIGHLY recommended by friends and we immediately fell in love with it. I personally think the place/staff is more important than the form AND it needs to be convenient for you to get to.

Things we like:
Privately owned
No charging for tests
12 times he could go to class during the week over 6 days (they want the child there 2 times a week, but he can go as many times has he wants)
Monthly fee (can do monthly, 6 month or annual contracts, and can 'freeze' if elected)
Various events during the year that are free
First Gi supplied
No charge for new belts
Summer camp available for students

Karate changed our lives with our son for the better!

hellokitty
11-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Dh is Korean so he wanted out kids to take tkd. However, we heard so many good things about the kid juijitsu program in our area, we went with that one and have been very happy. It is run by 3 brothers and one has even competed at the Olympic level.

mikeys_mom
11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
DS's martial arts class is a mix of Tae Kwan Do and Krav Maga. I didn't really do much research into it. The class is offered at his school once a week and I heard positive things about the instructor from other parents so I signed him up because it is just easy to not have to shlep him there myself.

He's been taking the class for 3 years now and really likes it. The instructor is great with the kids and there is more of an emphasis on developing skills than testing. There is no extra fee for the testing or for the uniforms. In theory, there is a $10 fee every time they get a new belt colour, but he seems to waive the fee for the kids that have been there a while.

arivecchi
11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
http://northvillemartialarts.com/difference

This may be helpful OP.

lfp2n
11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
My DD takes judo- she actually does a joint kids class that adults can take so her Dad does it also. Judo is a 'soft' art unlike TKD and Karate which are 'hard' - see below. The class is a lot of fun, a lot of emphasis on exercises before learning throwing and pinning. Belt testing is only about once a year and then not automatic so not so much emphasis on that.

This is from our dojos website by Gene Shin.
'Martial arts can be grouped into two broad categories, “soft” and “hard”. “Soft” arts tend to rely on redirecting an attacker’s force, and emphasize circular motions to execute throws, joint locks, and groundwork. “Hard” arts tend to emphasize punches, blocks, and kicks, and so rely on quick, linear motions. Both types require time and effort to learn, but the distinction is useful because people tend to enjoy more success in the disciplines that best match their personality'.