PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to go skiiing?

Octobermommy
11-13-2012, 12:20 PM
We are going skiing for the first time in January in Breckendridge. I live in a warm weather climate so I don't have much for winter weather.

I have so far for dh: 1 bib from Land's End, 1 warm jacket from LE

For dd: 1 ski bib, 1 ski pant, 1 warm jacket, long underwear (non cotton), boots from LE

For me: waterproof gloves

I have no clue, we are renting ski equipment from resort.

Someone, please help me.

ABO Mama
11-13-2012, 12:35 PM
You will need helmets for all. These can be rented.
You will be renting ski boots, and skis. Poles aren't necessary for beginners.
Mittens work better for young DC (gloves are a struggle).
Ski pants for yourself (I do not like bibs, such a pain for the bathroom, but bibs are the only things that will stay on my DC), and a jacket.
Lots of layers, so you can adjust as needed.
Ski socks. I really like wool socks, especially SmartWool. I prefer thinner ski socks, and no liners.
Turtlenecks.
Sunscreen.
Chapstick.
Goggles for all (may be able to rent these?).

Philly Mom
11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
I have not skied in almost 10 years but I used to ski all of the time. I like long underwear for the bottoms and if it is really cold possibly a light pair of fleece pants on top. Anything more and it is difficult to move. I personally like ski bibs, but have also skied with just snow pants. On top, I like a long underwear base layer that wicks moisture, then I put on a tight fitting fleece or wool sweater and possibly a vest of sorts, with my ski jacket on top. NO COTTON ANYWHERE. Even with a helmet, I like a light fleece hat to wear in case it is very cold. If it is not that cold, I would also bring sunglasses. I second the thin smart wool ski socks. I also think mittens are better for everyone. Keeps your hands much warmer. You can always wait and buy socks there once you find out what kind will fit in your boots the best. Finally, breckinridge is at a high elevation, I would bring tylenol or other headache medicine for everyone. I have altitude problems my first day in Colorado and Breckinridge is particulary high if I recollect. Have a great time. I am jealous!

cono0507
11-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Here are a few threads with good tips:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=439761&highlight=skiing

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=419542&highlight=skiing

Also good tips from PPs.
We ski regularly. This is what I wear:
helmet
goggles
neck gaiter that can be pulled up over the face
long underwear top and bottom (capilene or merino)
fleece or other warm top
If it is super cold, a fleece layer on bottom
insulated jacket
insulated ski pants
smartwool ski socks
mittens (my hands stay warmer in mittens)

Remember:
sunglasses for when you aren't wearing goggles - at high altitude and in the snow it is quite sunny
sunscreen on the face
chapstick
drink plenty of water - easy to get dehydrated at high altitude
no cotton clothing, as PP mentioned - (gets wet/sweaty, stays wet, causes you to be very cold)
boots for playing in snow/walking around base if not in skis
warm hat for same

My kids wear pretty much the same things I wear:
insulated jacket and insulated pants
synthetic wicking base layer top and bottom
fleece top and bottom
smartwool ski socks
neck gaiter
helmet
goggles
mittens

codex57
11-13-2012, 01:56 PM
The main thing is waterproof pants and gloves. Goggles or sunglasses would be the next priority. After that, anything else I categorize as in the "nice to have but may not be necessary" category. Like a waterproof jacket may or may not be necessary depending on the weather. Best to layer. Helmet may or may not be necessary depending on how packed the snow is (bunny slopes tend not to be too bad). Chapstick is nice to have but I've gone without it before. If you're trying to save money, just make sure you get good waterproof pants and gloves. Without those, you'll be miserable. Particularly as beginners. I'd try and get them at a sporting goods shop and ask for help. A lot look waterproof (or say they are) but they really aren't.

Octobermommy
11-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Thank you guys! That helps me immensely, I was clueless.

Philly Mom
11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I forgot the neck gaiter. Definitely get a fleece neck gaiter. Unless I was skiing in the spring, I always wore one. It helps protect you the most if it is snowing.

StantonHyde
11-13-2012, 04:13 PM
To avoid misery, I second that the kids must have neck gaiters. I love them too. You can get good deals at www.Campmor.com (http://www.Campmor.com) or at Sierra Trading Post.