PDA

View Full Version : How to Dispose of Old Electronics???

carolinamama
11-13-2012, 01:07 PM
I am cleaning out a closet today (took the day off work and our nanny has the kids at the children's museum so I'm on a roll - yay!) that is typically DH's area. I gave him fair warning a month ago that it was on the chopping block so to speak as he likes to save/hoard and I just don't. I found several old laptops in the back that we've already gotten everything off that we want, an old printer, old camcorder, and some old stereo equipment. I CANNOT believe he even moved this stuff from our old house to here 4 years ago. WHY, WHY, WHY??? But I digress....

What do I do with this stuff? I do NOT want it anymore but it feels wrong to just throw it away in the regular landfill. Is there a special way to throw it away?

Thanks for your help!!

Snow mom
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Check with your city for electronics recycling. When we got rid of our old tube TV we found out that Best Buy has a recycling program for that, even if you don't buy anything from them. Another option is there are charities that recycle/ reuse computer electronics. Make sure everything is thoroughly wiped of sensitive data before you get rid of it. Do not put it in your trash--I'm sure google can lead you in the right direction for your location and items.

rlu
11-13-2012, 01:27 PM
About once a month we get a flyer from some charity that is doing an e-waste day (our school does two a year). I'm pretty sure it is illegal to dispose of in the trash in CA.

Freecycle?

echoesofspring
11-13-2012, 02:46 PM
I just gave a box of old electronics including a laptop and stereo receiver to goodwill, they have a list on their website of what they will take/not take and I was very honest with the guy when I brought them to the pickup site and made sure he wanted them.

We also have a local fellow who advertises regularly on craigslist in the electronics section looking for stuff, so that's another place to look. I would take the hard drives out and destroy them (I still need to do that).