PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of those Leapster handheld things?

Mrs.Christie
11-13-2012, 03:09 PM
DD (just turned 3) received a LeapFrog Leapster GS Explorer for her birthday from MIL. Prior to her birthday MIL asked me about it and I tried to discourage it without being direct, didn't want to hurt her feelings. Well my attempt didn't work obviously.

We opened it up and loaded it to our computer and got it setup for DD, but I think she isn't old enough. Also, to be honest, I'm just not impressed. We have an iPad and DD can navigate it on her own and I think I'd rather have her just use that "real" device rather than introduce another electronic plaything.

In our home we also have a Wii, Xbox, and play station (not that DD has used any of those yet). We also have an in car DVD system and two portable DVD players for trips. So I think we are covered when it comes to electronic devices.

But maybe I'm missing something about the leapster GS thing. Is it really great and I'm just not aware? Right now I'd like to return it and put that money towards a new iPad and give DD my old one or maybe just buy some new apps for now.

So should I keep it thinking DD will grow into it soon enough? Does it offer real educational value? I don't want her hooked on it (i see some kids who, such as a few of my young cousins who prefer electronics to people, lol) the iPad is enough I think but I don't know.

KrisM
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
We have older Leapsters and my kids use them from about 3.5 up. They're nice in the car, because they aren't expensive ipads and I don't care if they drop them to the floor when they are done. We do a fair amount of travel and I don't need them watching movies the entire time, so it works for us.

I know nothing about the newer systems though.

vonfirmath
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
My son started using his Leapster at 3. We loved it.

OTOH we don't have an ipad and I don't want him on my ipod in the car.

However! IF you've already opened the Leapster Explorer you may not be able to return it.

newg
11-13-2012, 10:48 PM
One thing I do like about the Leapster Explorer that DD has, is that she uses the "pencil"....which is helping her fine motor skills and finger dexterity, and now at the age of 4.5, she is playing games where she is working on her letters.
Not sure if an Ipad can use anything beyond your finger......

And like pp mentioned........no worries on my part if she drops it or if DD2 gets ahold of it.......and I like that it's "just" educational games; no movies/shows, or access to the internet (eventhough I have the settings so they can't buy anything on the ipods)

TwinFoxes
11-13-2012, 11:00 PM
My DDs never got into them, and I suspected they wouldn't (my SIL didn't ask before she bought two (!) or I would have tried to convince her not to). They have had my old iPhones when I get new ones, and use the iPad too. The Leapster games weren't as interesting to them.

Tinkerbell313
11-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Our kids loved their leapsters. DD had used hers from age 2.5 to age 6. DS used his from age 2.5 to age 5. That was the first toy we could not hand down from DD to DS since DD was still using hers. I never paid more then $8 for a cartridge...always got them on sale (this was several years ago)

We bought the kids 3DSs last year...talk about bust. Ugh...they never play with them. But my kids arent big into the Wii that we have either. So I have given up on gaming systems (which I am OK with) until they ask.

karstmama
11-17-2012, 09:43 AM
i'd say keep it and find a thing or two she likes to do on it, then keep it sorta in the background for waiting in dr's offices or waiting for food in a restaurant. so it's not an unknown quantity but it's special enough to engage her when you need a bigger distraction.