PDA

View Full Version : holy carp-u-lence! (update #17)

♥ms.pacman♥
11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
so i got a formal job offer yesterday from the company i interviewed at, and I accepted it and sent in the papers this morning. i had been thinking i would start after the New Year, like second week of January or something since I won't have accrued any vacation days. well i just talked to HR & then my future manager. They really really want me to start Dec 3rd. :eek: OMG! they said vacation the week of Xmas is fine, i can just take that week unpaid. Well we do have a daycare for kiddos in mind, but i'd like for them to start a week before i actually start work to give them time to adjust (and to give DH & I time to get our cluttered house in order, for me to shop and actually have clothing to wear to work etc). So that means they'd have to start daycare Nov 26, the week after thanksgiving...this is less than 2 weeks!! EEK. I need to call the daycare asap to make sure they can register & take them this soon...

and i realize this is a totally petty bitch and i should just be thankful for getting this job. i was just really looking forward to having one last holiday season at home with the kiddos and doing winter crafts, playdates, visiting Santa, etc now that the kids are actually old enough to appreciate Christmas and all that.

cvanbrunt
11-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Life smacks you in the head like that sometimes! This is an awesome smack, though. Congrats on being so great that they needed you right away!

SnuggleBuggles
11-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Congratulations!! It'll work out!

carolinamama
11-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Congratulations!! Fantastic news! You can your family will make it and have a great holiday anyway.

nfowife
11-13-2012, 05:16 PM
congrats! I had been wondering what was going on with your offer... Yeah!

twowhat?
Oh wow! Congrats on the official offer. Yeah, your heart is probably racing right now:) It really will work out.

If you can't get them into the daycare soon enough, I'd go back and maybe ask to start the week after Dec 3 (unless you've already signed all the papers

Yep - exciting and scary! And it won't be your last holiday season:) If anything I have appreciated the holidays even more with being back at work and by next year you'll accrue enough time to hopefully take a day or two a year for yourself and/or DH during which you'll go on a date and do your holiday shopping in peace while the kids go to daycare:)

Philly Mom
That is wonderful and scary. Reach out here for any advice especially that first week back at work. Your kids will adjust and so will you.

I know you did not ask for advice yet, but here is my one piece of advice that has made my life a lot easier. When you register your kids, find out if they either serve kids breakfast or allow your kids to eat breakfast there if you provide the food. The way I get out of the house quickly in the morning: Pack DD's lunch box the night before with breakfast and lunch. When I wake in the morning, I take her lunch box and put it in the car with all of my work stuff, her jacket, her shoes, her hat, etc. I also fill up her milk cup and put it on her car seat. I do all of that before I get her out of bed. I also make sure the bathroom has towels for a bath and I make sure to remember whether her room has PJs for that night. If I need either, I do those before I get her. I also try to pick out clothes for her the night before if I can, otherwise, I just grab what is on top. Sometimes DD refuses to take her PJs off. If that is the case, I change her diaper, and put her in the car as is. She almost always allows me to put pants on but she loves her PJ tops. I try one more time to change her into clothes in the parking lot of school. If I fail, she goes to school in PJs. Once I get her to school, I put her at the table and put her breakfast down. Giving breakfast at school gives DD an immediate activity once she gets there, she sits with the other kids and is distracted as I slip out.

Good luck! This is exciting.

mommylamb
11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Congratulations on the new job!

codex57
11-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey, it's a happy problem to have.

The daycare is likely fine. Generally, they're used to short notice. The house stuff, well, just deal with it when you can. Again, it's a happy problem to have.

Congrats!

ourbabygirl
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
CONGRATS on the job offer! :cheerleader1: So exciting! Hope it goes well and that the transition is nice and smooth! Maybe you'll get invited to a fun company holiday party! :)

wellyes
11-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Congratulations!! Whew life goes fast, huh?

echoesofspring
11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Congratulations!

maestramommy
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Congrats on your new job!:thumbsup:

hellokitty
11-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Congrats!!! I know you've been on pins and needles waiting to heat back about this job!

goldenpig
11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Congrats on the new job! That is awesome! It'll all work out, don't worry! :cheerleader1:

123LuckyMom
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Sorry about the snafus, but congratulations on the job!!!!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-13-2012, 11:25 PM
thanks everyone! ugh, my head is indeed spinning from this. between taking my kiddos to tgiving party this morning, making phone calls, and scrambling to call the daycare and see if they had spots, ask basic questions, etc (while my DD begged to watch Elmo), and then taking my kids to swim class (and dealing with DD taking a crap during DS swim lesson), and dealing with DS incessant whining (i agree, 3yo is gonna be waaay worse than 2) i am just spent!!

anyway luckily the daycare we had in mind (a Goddard school barely 5 min from our house) has spots open for both of them, so i am going to go tomorrow and fill out the paperwork and put down a deposit etc. it's the only place we visited really, but we liked it and i honestly don't have time to search out other options (DH is OOT the whole week, natch).

i can't believe it though, in 2 weeks they will be going to daycare. they have never been in school and are pretty shy. and it's hard to enjoy the time with them now as DH doesn't get back till Saturday so I am just trying to get through each day this week in survival mode. This evening after getting home from their swim class I literally just put a Thomas on and tossed kiddos Lunchables snacks for dinner and let them eat in front of the TV :bag

amldaley
11-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Congrats!!!! The daycare frenzy will work itself out. There are worse things for dinner than Lunchables. And now you can work out some really great response when that woman says, "See? I told you you'd get the job!"

OKKiddo
11-13-2012, 11:53 PM
thanks everyone! ugh, my head is indeed spinning from this. between taking my kiddos to tgiving party this morning, making phone calls, and scrambling to call the daycare and see if they had spots, ask basic questions, etc (while my DD begged to watch Elmo), and then taking my kids to swim class (and dealing with DD taking a crap during DS swim lesson), and dealing with DS incessant whining (i agree, 3yo is gonna be waaay worse than 2) i am just spent!!

anyway luckily the daycare we had in mind (a Goddard school barely 5 min from our house) has spots open for both of them, so i am going to go tomorrow and fill out the paperwork and put down a deposit etc. it's the only place we visited really, but we liked it and i honestly don't have time to search out other options (DH is OOT the whole week, natch).

i can't believe it though, in 2 weeks they will be going to daycare. they have never been in school and are pretty shy. and it's hard to enjoy the time with them now as DH doesn't get back till Saturday so I am just trying to get through each day this week in survival mode. This evening after getting home from their swim class I literally just put a Thomas on and tossed kiddos Lunchables snacks for dinner and let them eat in front of the TV :bag

NAK. We toured a Goddard school and it's at the top of our list...warm atmosphere and open minded. And of course a huge Congratulations!

niccig
11-14-2012, 12:47 AM
First...breathe.

You will be fine It's going to take a little while to work out routines etc, so expect that.

My advice for the holidays - Thanksgiving and Christmas - do a little less. It will decrease your stress and in my experience, it is way more fun for everyone and you get to enjoy it. No one really misses all the extra stuff anyway.

And congrats on the job.

Gracemom
11-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the job! I'm looking for a part-time job now but I don't want to start until after the holidays too. I've heard only good things about Goddard. Good luck on your transition!