PDA

View Full Version : temporary wedding ring?

wifecat
11-13-2012, 11:51 PM
I know that's an odd title to the thread, but I've lost a lot of weight in the past 10 months, and my wedding ring has been getting loose. Today, it began slipping to the underside of my finger (and that's super uncomfortable!) and I don't want to lose it.

But, I'm not done losing weight. I think I probably have 15-20 left to lose and I don't want to get my ring resized until I've finished losing and proven I can maintain. Obviously, that could take some time.

My husband suggested I get a fun ring - something temporary until I'm ready to resize my ring (that I love). I don't want to spend a ton of money (and I'll never wear it on another finger - I really wear one piece of jewelry and that's my, very simple, ring). Any suggestions on where to look? Or other suggestions for handling the problem until I can permanently solve it?

ellies mom
11-14-2012, 12:05 AM
I'd go for something in sterling silver. There are a ton of designs and the prices are generally very inexpensive. Another suggestion is a simple white gold band. Mine was about $35. And it has held up great for the 11.5 years I've been wearing it.

amldaley
11-14-2012, 12:14 AM
What a sweet DH you have there ;)

I guess it depends if you want something that still looks and feels like a wedding and/or engagement ring or something simple as a place holder?

Sterling is affordable and you could do a claddagh or just a simple band.

Or you could do one of the fun fakes from www.o.co or one of the gorgeous fakes from QVC that are designed by Tacori but have lab created "diamoniques" in them.

Or do something that means something to you - sapphires mean "eternal life". Pearls are under rated and so pretty. Maybe get the birthstone of the month you were married?

katydid1971
11-14-2012, 12:28 AM
I have a sterling silver band that I got at Claire's or someplace that I use to wear when we would travel. You could also get some of these ring size adjustor, I don't know how comfortable they would be but for a few $ it might be something to consider.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_1_5_acs_trend_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ring+sizer+adjuster&ie=UTF8&qid=1352867205&sr=8-5-acs

KLD313
11-14-2012, 12:29 AM
You could try a ring guard, they're really cheap and should keep the ring in place until you resize.

mommyoftwo
11-14-2012, 12:33 AM
The price of gold has absolutely skyrocketed. I bought tiny size 3 gold bands for the girls and they were well over $300 each. I don't know what kind of style you like but I have found a great store on etsy with high quality vintage jewelry for really, really good prices plus for white gold, the sizing fee is only $25. She always has a lot of simple wedding bands. I have bought several pieces from her and had them checked by my favorite jeweler and she has always been impressed with the quality for the price. Here is the link in case you are interested.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/GoldAdore?ref=search_shop_redirect

doberbrat
11-14-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm having the same problem in reverse :( anyways, I bought a set at 1saleaday.com and I'm pretty happy with it. I've decided I love 'fake' jewlery b/c I stress less about loosing it etc.

Congrats on the weight loss!:cheerleader1:

Globetrotter
11-14-2012, 12:44 AM
I resized when I gained weight, and now it's loose.. I just don't wear anything (waiting to resize again) but if I needed to I would get a sterling silver ring.

queenmama
11-14-2012, 01:43 AM
I gained a bunch of weight when DS weaned and my thyroid & adrenals cr@pped out and my hormones went wacky. I have lost most of it but I'm still wearing the $40 replacement set vs. the $4k original. I've decided I prefer the styling (the real one is ultra classic & plain Tiffany style and the fake is antique filigree looking). I get raves on it all the time, too. Sorry you wasted all your money on me, DH! :o

ETA: I ended up buying off eBay but there are tons of sites... I think I probably googled 'antique sterling wedding rings' or something similar.

Lara

codex57
11-14-2012, 01:48 AM
It's a guy ring, but I'm sure they have women's versions. Amazon. Tungsten carbide. Got mine for $25. It's my "permanent" ring but no reason it couldn't be temporary at that price. I like tungsten cuz it's scratch proof.

roseyloxs
11-14-2012, 07:48 AM
It's a guy ring, but I'm sure they have women's versions. Amazon. Tungsten carbide. Got mine for $25. It's my "permanent" ring but no reason it couldn't be temporary at that price. I like tungsten cuz it's scratch proof.

:yeahthat: My wedding ring is attached to my engagement ring which is a solitaire and has a habit of scratching my children while I try to nurse or do or similar activities. So when DH asked for a temporary ring to take on missions I opted in and said I wanted one too. We got a pair of matching tungsten carbide rings. Its really comfortable and I love the simple look of it. For the price it really can't be beat.

boogiemom
11-14-2012, 10:22 AM
I like to check diamondbistro.com and loupetroop.com. I've had the same issue as I've lost 90 this year. Like you, I'm not "there" yet so I don't want to size down yet. My rings don't fit but I hate not wearing one!

Jupiter
11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
When I got pregnant my wedding band didn't fit, so I went to kohls and found a ring that looked like mine $8. No one even notices that its different.

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2012, 02:35 PM
You could try a ring guard, they're really cheap and should keep the ring in place until you resize.

:yeahthat: