PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for making me kill the snake

Gracemom
11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks DH for being too much of a wimp to take a shovel and kill the snake on our front porch. Thanks for making me do it. I really enjoyed it. And thanks for telling our DD just before bedtime how it was a baby rattler and how the mom is at least as long as her bed. That's just what she needed to lull her to sleep on a school night.

glbb35
11-14-2012, 10:55 AM
You killed a baby rattler? I would have been scared out of my mind. A baby snake that is as long as my bed????????!!! Oh my goodness and yuck!! I am bowing to you right now. I would have removed a small garden snake to my backyard but I would have still been inside screaming at the thought of a very poisonous "baby" snake the length of my bed on my front porch that could inflict all sorts of pain to us! You go girl! DH, ah, the "man of the house", you are going to be paying for one that for a long time!

:)

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 7/11

BabbyO
11-14-2012, 11:16 AM
It is my job to kill all rodents and vermin. Not sure why but if I don't want them around, I have to get rid of them.

Telling your DD that there is a snake out there as long as her bed...totally not cool. Sounds to me like he's on nightmare duty for the rest of the week...or month...or whatever it takes. And if your DD is like my kids and only wants you at night...still wake your DH every time she wakes you. He has to go check outside for her to make sure the snake is nowhere near the house...

DietCokeLover
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
You are a stronger woman than me. I would have grabbed DC and headed straight for the closest hotel....indefinitely.

Clarity
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
These are the days that I'm glad to live in the midwest! Rattler's on your porch? *shudder*

WatchingThemGrow
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Omgosh, in my n'hood, people were outraged at a couple of residents for killing snakes in their yard/driveways. They were going nuts on people saying they should've called x,y, or z to relocate it. Yes, because when parents of young children encounter a snake near the house, the first thing we do is run to the computer and find/wait for someone who can relocate it.

jerigirl
11-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks DH for being too much of a wimp to take a shovel and kill the snake on our front porch. Thanks for making me do it. I really enjoyed it. And thanks for telling our DD just before bedtime how it was a baby rattler and how the mom is at least as long as her bed. That's just what she needed to lull her to sleep on a school night.

NOT what I wanted to hear! A snake on your porch. Go you for killing it! I have been known to make DH come home from work to get a 1.5 ft brown earth snake out of the kitchen.

oneplustwo
11-15-2012, 12:11 AM
:6: to your DH! I like the idea that he should have to go outside every time your DD wakes up at night to confirm that the mama rattler is nowhere in the neighborhood anymore.

Hope your DD ends up getting a good night's sleep in spite of your DH. And You, Mama, get to name your own reward for doing the deadly deed. A spa day perhaps, while DH is on kiddy duty?

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2012, 12:14 AM
You are a stronger woman than me. I would have grabbed DC and headed straight for the closest hotel....indefinitely.

I couldn't do that b/c I'd be too afraid to go outside!! We'd become shut ins!

Tinochka
11-15-2012, 12:17 AM
You killed a snake?
I can handle anything, but snake. Way to go, brave mama!
As for DH, I think their heads are screwed in different way. Let him deal with nightmares;), that can teach very quick.

OKKiddo
11-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Ya'll are much nicer than me! I'd inform DH that snakes (rats, mice, etc) can get into the house through less than a 1/4 inch crack. Then I'd inform him that it's his immediate duty to go around the house sealing up all of the cracks and crannies and that until you're reasonably assured that he did a good job he can sleep on the floor in front of the offending door to ensure there aren't any "break-ins". Plus it lets your DD see that Daddy is making sure that there won't be any more snake issues. ;)

But, my husband has killed copperheads climbing up our brick walls before (seriously!!) so he probably would have ran for the hoe or shovel before even telling me what was going on. That's because I'm the weenie and can't handle snakes. Nope, unh uh. Can't even stand the fake buggers when I see kids playing with them!!

Dream
11-15-2012, 02:07 AM
You guys have snakes on your porch, in the kitchen, climbing the walls etc. Where do you all live?? I never thought there's free roaming snakes. Back in my home country we encounter snakes, lots, infact I think we have the highest death count resulting from snake bites. I guess I just assumed there's no snakes roaming in neighborhoods in the USA.

You're a brave mama!! I would not have the guts to do it.

alexsmommy
11-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Every time I think a retirement home in a warmer climate sounds like a good plan, I will think of this post. Oh and various past posts on other large spiders and various vermin. And stay put.
Shudder.

pastrygirl
11-15-2012, 09:16 AM
This thread is worse than the ghost stories thread! Can I go back and unread this one?? ;)

Gracemom
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the empathy! I thought about calling someone to relocate it, but it looked like it was hurt (it had a weird bend in its middle). And yes, my DH is on nightmare duty. I swear he just doesn't think before he says stuff. He had to deal with the million questions my DD had (Can they climb the stairs? Is one under my bed?). I'm the paranoid one now. I haven't let the kids play outside yet!

gatorsmom
11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Every time I think a retirement home in a warmer climate sounds like a good plan, I will think of this post. Oh and various past posts on other large spiders and various vermin. And stay put.
Shudder.

You know, you really aren't safe anywhere. We had a snake hibernatum(sp) which is essentially a snack breeding spot under our front step at our house in St Paul, Minnesota. They came back and bred there every spring.

And here in Wisconsin we have plenty of rattlers to watch for. And water moccasins were plentiful if you go swimming in one of our many beautiful rivers. You really aren't safe anywhere. :hug:

alexsmommy
11-15-2012, 08:40 PM
You know, you really aren't safe anywhere. We had a snake hibernatum(sp) which is essentially a snack breeding spot under our front step at our house in St Paul, Minnesota. They came back and bred there every spring.

And here in Wisconsin we have plenty of rattlers to watch for. And water moccasins were plentiful if you go swimming in one of our many beautiful rivers. You really aren't safe anywhere. :hug:

lalalalalalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR YOU lalalalaalalalalalalalalala

OKKiddo
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM

I'm guaranteed to have nightmares tonight. Why, why did I click on this?

KLD313
11-15-2012, 09:13 PM
You guys have snakes on your porch, in the kitchen, climbing the walls etc. Where do you all live?? I never thought there's free roaming snakes. Back in my home country we encounter snakes, lots, infact I think we have the highest death count resulting from snake bites. I guess I just assumed there's no snakes roaming in neighborhoods in the USA.

You're a brave mama!! I would not have the guts to do it.

Snakes aren't that from Queens! Lol. I'm in CT and I was quoting someone on air conditioning and had to go in their crawlspace. As soon as we opened the bulkhead doors I stepped down and a snake popped up hissing. It was on the top stop I was at the bottom! Someone we switched places and the guy i was with moved it with a shovel but it was scary and gross. I've held snakes before but running into them like that us a whole 'nother story.

Dream
11-16-2012, 03:05 AM
Snakes aren't that from Queens! Lol. I'm in CT and I was quoting someone on air conditioning and had to go in their crawlspace. As soon as we opened the bulkhead doors I stepped down and a snake popped up hissing. It was on the top stop I was at the bottom! Someone we switched places and the guy i was with moved it with a shovel but it was scary and gross. I've held snakes before but running into them like that us a whole 'nother story.

Now you have me worried. Surely, the tri boroughs are too busy for them to survive here.

elizabethkott
11-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Every time I open one of these threads, I think,
Why did I open this thread?
WHY DID I OPEN THIS THREAD!!!????
GAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

glbb35
11-16-2012, 10:03 AM
No kidding Elizabethkott, I feel the same way :) you are making make glad it is cold here and that means the snakes go away or hibernate. We lived in the mid west as a child and saw them constantly. Here we do have copperheads and water mocs but for the most part a good black snake gets those guys out of the area. (takes their food sources so they leave) Last year the neighborhood near us had a run on copperheads,t hey were everywhere. We have a huge backyard. I am constantly checking before the kids go back there but you can't check everything. I always imagine they are watching us most of the time and we never see them!! Yuck!!!!!

BTW, my cousin in Louisiana posted on her Facebook page a few weeks ago a python that was caught near some homes there and the darned thing was longer than the man's truck!! IT made the local news. Police think it was someone's pet that was released when it got too big and it was snaking around looking for food. The snake should have found it's way back home and knocked on their door. "Hello people who raised me and just let me out one day, I'm back!!!!..."

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 7/11