PDA

View Full Version : Help With Depressed Dh

Cuckoomamma
11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Dh and I have been living together for almost 20 years, and I have always felt that he struggles with depression. There have been numerous times over the years when I've asked him to go to counseling as a couple, and he has never said that he would go.

Work is not a pleasant place for him and only gets worse. There's no hope of change there as we've been completely dependent on his income (I'm a sahm) and his field is very small. I think the work situation has made his depression so much worse over the years. He's an introvert by nature but has withdrawn more and more over the years as our children have gotten older.

Whereas he used to say he was leaving once a year, this past year he has said he was leaving more times than I can count. The past month has been a blur of emotion and sadness as the kids and I try to cope with his rollercoaster of emotion up and down. I've never wanted a divorce but feel that him not getting help with his depression is seriously damaging our children. I gave him an ultimatum that he needed to go to counseling with us, and he's refused again. He's a very private person, as am I. I feel that he's a wonderful person underneath but that his mental health issues are harming our children and seriously clouding his judgement in regards to me and our children.

He wants to continue to live with us (because our finances are such a mess) and be separated. That seems to me that he wants the benefits of living with a family with none of the responsibilities beyond our financial support. I think that he's self-destructive enough to move out, become even more depressed because he has no one and continue on to a divorce.

Is there anything I can do? We have no family on either side who can intervene. He has no close male friends.

I know that I need to get the rest of us into therapy. Besides that, are there any web or book resources that anyone can recommend? How do you get someone who won't go to therapy to go? You just can't, right?

hillview
11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
I think therapy for you and the kids and maybe a chat with his Primary Care Physician to see if the PCP would put him on antidepressant medications. I know some will without seeing a psych. While of course seeing a therapist is best sometimes med alone can get someone to a place of better self awareness and then assistance.

Cuckoomamma
11-14-2012, 11:24 AM
He won't go to his doctor...doesn't think he needs meds.

hillview
11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
I am so sorry. I think get yourself the help you need and then see what the therapist suggests re DH.

carolinamama
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
At this point, I would try to concentrate on you and your children - therapy for you all if you think it will help and try to make the rest of you healthy. Maybe it is time to look into getting back into the workforce for you? I'm not sure what I would do about divorce and the living situation because that's a decision that only you can make based on your goals, finances and what works. A therapist for you will be able to help you work through your feelings and options.

Your DH is an adult and as much as I'm sure you would like to "make" him do something, he has to make his own decisions unless you really think he will hurt himself or others. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. :hug: