PDA

View Full Version : Quick help - Frontier in a Camry??

Minnifer
11-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't know what I'm doing wrong (I HATE installing car seats!) - have a loaner newish Camry today while my car is in the shop and I cannot get a tight LATCH installation of DD's Frontier! I've never done a seatbelt install so don't have time to learn that now. But the LATCH strap is basically as tight as it can go - tightened it w/my full weight in the seat - and the seat still wiggles the hell all over the place. When I use the top tether, it gets a tad better, but there is still a TON of play (plus really is the top tether supposed to be bearing the brunt of keeping the seat in place? In my Highlander I get a pretty tight install although I still feel it relies too much on the top tether).

Quick ideas re what I am I doing wrong???? I'm so frustrated - this kind of thing makes me just want to cry. I have to pick DD up in a little while and will be driving this again tomorrow.

legaleagle
11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Have you tried feeding the tail of the latch strap back towards the center of the seat and pulling from that direction? When you have your weight in the seat are you pushing back more than down?

Truthfully, I find the long belt path to be super easy and usually a better install than the latch. Just watch the video on youtube.

Joolsplus2
11-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, you have to reach through the cover, there's a slit in the cover to pull the LATCH strap up/in/through, because pulling out/to the side does not get the seat tight enough. At least I hope that's the problem, because that's the easiest way I know to get the seat in tight. (It's in the manual, which I only discovered after being near tears from frustration with the seat when I first bought it <blush>)

Minnifer
11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah, you have to reach through the cover, there's a slit in the cover to pull the LATCH strap up/in/through, because pulling out/to the side does not get the seat tight enough. At least I hope that's the problem, because that's the easiest way I know to get the seat in tight. (It's in the manual, which I only discovered after being near tears from frustration with the seat when I first bought it <blush>)
Thanks guys. You know, I think this is it - I remembered about doing that late yesterday, and it did seem a lot tighter. You wouldn't think that inch or so over would make such a difference! I'll be glad to get my car back later...