PDA

View Full Version : Christian parents: how do you talk about Jesus' crucifixion?

fedoragirl
11-14-2012, 04:29 PM
DD is 34 months and we are reading the entire storybook Bible. We are currently at the crucifixion and the book just waters down the words but the facts stay the same. I am of the same opinion but just wanted to know how parents dealt with Jesus' crucifixion and death, especially with the little ones.

DietCokeLover
11-14-2012, 05:13 PM
We have talked about it generally (in terms of what occurred, but specifically regarding the meaning of his death) with DC. They know that Jesus died a painful death on the cross for their sins. They do not need the graphic nature of his death yet IMO.

maestramommy
11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
The Sunday School teacher for 3--ks at our church does not talk about the crucifixion. She is a teacher with decades of experience teaching this age group and in her opinion it's too disturbing for the little ones. I think she mentions it very briefly and goes on to Easter and the resurrection. Now you can agree or disagree with this belief, but the truth is we haven't talked about it much, and only with Dora so far because she asked. We didn't say how Jesus was killed, only that he was killed by people who didn't like him or his message. We tend to spend more time on his birth and his ministry.

MaiseyDog
11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
We didn't talk much about the actual crucifixion with DDs although we did talk about the fact that Jesus died on the cross. We would mention it and then move on. It wasn't really a consious decision we made not to talk about it, but it's a very complex subject and just never seemed the right time. DD1 who is 7 is just now starting to ask more indepth questions about the whys and the hows. She has amazed me with the depth of some of her questions, but I do my best to answer them.

123LuckyMom
11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
We talk about the justice aspect. Jesus was teased, made fun of for who he was, (stations of the cross), and killed by people who wanted to have power over those who needed God's help. Jesus let them do it, so that everyone would see how evil they were in comparison with God's way of kindness and love. God did not let evil win, though. Jesus was resurrected, made alive again, so that we would know that evil and death are never the end of the story. God will always find a way for love to win. Now Jesus is alive, and when we listen, we can hear him as he helps us to know how much we are loved. Now we are his body on earth, and it is our job to help people, to be kind and loving, to let people know how much God loves them, and to make sure evil is never the end of the story.

We also read books with the more orthodox theology intact, but I feel bad vs. good works for little children best. I was a youth minister for about a decade, so I do know that kids can understand this pretty well.

lalasmama
11-14-2012, 07:40 PM
DD knows Jesus "died on the cross" but has never asked specifics or really had it "click" what it means in a literal sense. When she asked *why* He died on the cross, we talked about that He died so that we wouldn't be in trouble with God for the sins we've done. It seemed like the why was more important than the how for my DD. FWIW, this was a conversation at about 4-5yo.

Melaine
11-14-2012, 09:43 PM
I absolutely love the resurrection eggs (http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Eggs-Familylife/dp/1572297220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352943644&sr=8-1&keywords=resurrection+eggs) for this. It does a really good job of telling the story for little ones. Even then, it is intense!

fedoragirl
11-15-2012, 05:41 AM
A range of responses. Hmmm...I think I'll talk about the basic facts of crucifixion and move on. DD doesn't know what death is and I really don't want to get into that right now. She knows that Jesus was sad and was beaten because the pictures in her Bible show that. Good to know how I can form my answers if questions come up.
Thanks Melaine...I'll keep that link in mind for Easter gifts from the grandparents.

pastrygirl
11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
I haven't focused on the crucifixion. I told him that Jesus died so that he could open up the gates of Heaven on Easter. Now every year at Christmas, Toby says that the gates are closed again til Easter, LOL.

cookiemonster80
11-15-2012, 03:50 PM
I absolutely love the resurrection eggs (http://www.amazon.com/Resurrection-Eggs-Familylife/dp/1572297220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352943644&sr=8-1&keywords=resurrection+eggs) for this. It does a really good job of telling the story for little ones. Even then, it is intense!

:yeahthat:
they are excellent