PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear black heeled pumps with?

etwahl
11-14-2012, 04:53 PM
They are pointed toed, traditional heel (probably 2.5 inches, can't recall, but I could comfortably manage - they are not high at all, which I love).

My feet are hard to fit, especially heels, which I don't have because none are comfortable.

I love the pair I found, but they are pricey (and I have looked EVERYWHERE). I don't mind spending the money, if I will actually wear them, but will I? What do you wear them with generally?

I'm a homeschooling mom. Pretty casual for the most part (jeans, cute top or sweater).

Just need to think it through. It seems every woman should own a beautiful pair of classic pumps, but I want to make sure I will use them before buying. Help!

sweetsue98
11-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Dress pants maybe for church. Jeans and cute top for going out. Dresses. Black pumps are a staple in every woredrobe.

SnuggleBuggles
11-15-2012, 12:09 AM
The thing is, pointy toes are a trend that will change so don't get lulled into thinking you are set if you get them. :) I guess I just wouldn't call them a classic.

I'm a SAHM. During my regular day to day life I wear heeled boots but no pumps. If I'm going out, I have so many fun heels that I pick the ones that fit the outfit and setting. Could be my nude wedges, could be my strappy black heels, could be my bronze peep toes or my patent red peep toes...

I did get by with just black pointy toed heels when I just started out my shoe collection though and wore them to lots of night time social events and a few work type things.

etwahl
11-15-2012, 01:21 AM
The thing is, pointy toes are a trend that will change so don't get lulled into thinking you are set if you get them. :) I guess I just wouldn't call them a classic.

I'm a SAHM. During my regular day to day life I wear heeled boots but no pumps. If I'm going out, I have so many fun heels that I pick the ones that fit the outfit and setting. Could be my nude wedges, could be my strappy black heels, could be my bronze peep toes or my patent red peep toes...

I did get by with just black pointy toed heels when I just started out my shoe collection though and wore them to lots of night time social events and a few work type things.

Well of course this isn't my only shoe ;) It's just that I don't have any "traditional" heels at the moment. I'm more of a flats or wedge girl (or most of the time flip flops, I live in S.CA).

This is the shoe I'm considering:
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae38/tammywahl/photo.jpg

arivecchi
11-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm actually not a huge fan of black pumps. I always end up finding them too conservative and they sit in my closet. Having said that, I love pointy shoes. I have several that are at least 5 years old and I love them. So much edgier than regular round edged shoes. (In fact, I am wearing my brown knee high pointy boots right now!) Can you post a link to your find? I reserve final judgment until I see the actual shoe!

I would only wear pumps to work or dinner (if they are fashionable). I do not attend church services.

ETA: I just saw the link. Not digging it honestly. We can find you a better pair. :)

gatorsmom
11-15-2012, 11:40 AM
I think black pumps are classic staple, depending on how pointy the toe is. They can be worn with so many outfits when you need to be a bit more conservative or when you need to dress something up. Or, if you have an outfit with a lot going on, the plain black pumps could be your bit of subdued neutral. For example, if you have on a dress with a lot of bright patterns and purse with color or a pattern on it, you really don't need a shoe with a lot going on too, kwim?

Eta- I just saw your link. I don't think they are too trendy that they will go out of style. And the thing about black shies is that you will only wear them a few times per year so you don't want them to go out of style. While the ones you linked to are not my favorite, I know how important it is to get a pair of reliable shoes that are comfortable for you. If something comes up that you need to dress for, you want to be able to pull them out sighing that you'll look alright and be comfortable for the event. So, I say get them they should be a nice staple for a long time.

etwahl
11-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I appreciate everyone's opinions! And this is why I come here for advice :) Yes, I am feeling pretty ambivalent about my actually wearing them. I was reading that everyone should have a pair, yet I wonder if I'd actually wear them. I don't think that picture is very good - they are prettier in person (Chanel) but I still think maybe I am not a black pump kind of girl.

Arrivecchi - I also hate rounded toes on heels. And I hate platform heels that are so popular right now. I love boots (I have heeled pointed toe boots and flat rounded toe boots), wedge sandals, flip flops, etc.

Hmmm, you've all given me something to think about. honestly, for the price, if I'm not going to wear them a ton, it probably doesn't make sense, right?

arivecchi
11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I have been searching for a black pump that is fashionable for the longest time. It's like my search for the holy grail. lol. Honestly, buy something you love instead of something some list tells you you need! What kind of ocassion do you need this shoe for? I can look around for ya. :)

etwahl
11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
That's the thing - I don't have a particular occasion I need them for. It was more "everyone is supposed to have this kind of shoe" and yet I don't know when I'd wear them. Does that make sense?! I agree with you - I think I thought this is what I needed to be a grown-up, lol.

arivecchi
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, if I find the holy grail, I'll let you know!

joules
11-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I appreciate everyone's opinions! And this is why I come here for advice :) Yes, I am feeling pretty ambivalent about my actually wearing them. I was reading that everyone should have a pair, yet I wonder if I'd actually wear them. I don't think that picture is very good - they are prettier in person (Chanel) but I still think maybe I am not a black pump kind of girl.

Arrivecchi - I also hate rounded toes on heels. And I hate platform heels that are so popular right now. I love boots (I have heeled pointed toe boots and flat rounded toe boots), wedge sandals, flip flops, etc.

Hmmm, you've all given me something to think about. honestly, for the price, if I'm not going to wear them a ton, it probably doesn't make sense, right?

I agree, it doesn't make sense to spend a lot on something you won't wear often.

I have a pair of black patent pumps (similar to this: http://piperlime.gap.com/browse/product.do?searchCID=&pid=906248&vid=1&scid=906248002). I don't wear them often at all. This is coming from someone who used to love to wear black...until my fashionable co-worker banned me from buying any more black shoes. I recently bought one pair of black high heeled oxford ankle boots. I've been wearing those a lot now with my work pants and leggings. But I am trying to buy more brown, grey, etc colored shoes now. I find that brown goes with more outfits.

I am almost the opposite of you. I am loving rounded/almond toes on shoes now. I think it's because my shoe size is bigger now (size 8 on my 5'2" frame, due to 2 pregnancies and wide feet) so the rounded toes make my feet look smaller. I also LOVE platforms. Partly because I am short, but mostly because to me they feel so much more cushier than non-platform shoes. That is another reason why I'm not wearing my black pumps. The lack of platform isn't comfortable on my slightly problem feet.

The shoes that get the most wear are my nude platform slingbacks. I can wear those with anything.