PDA

View Full Version : so should i get the frontier 85?

sal799
11-14-2012, 11:26 PM
DS is 3.3. i need a new seat for him. he is about 35 pounds. not sure of hsi height, hes pretty averagee. I havea honda odyssey. want a 5 point harness. should I get the frontier 85? seat will mostly stay in this car, but will sometimes need to go to DHs car, so I need something that is EASY to install. I heard the frontier is hard ot install. get it? or the securekid 400? something else?

OKKiddo
11-15-2012, 12:06 AM
Installing the Frontier 85 using latch is easy peasy. I only have problems with the Frontier 85 when I need to install in the 3rd row of my Odyssey and then the only way that *I'm* able to securely install there is to use the Long Belt Path installation method (youtube videos from Britax demonstrating it are great). If you need to use Long Belt Path a chip clip helps. ;) After using a chip clip it's a breeze (I can use both hands to make sure the seat belt doesn't get twisty). Like it's been wished for previously, I wish the Frontier 85 had built in lock-offs help.

melbb
11-20-2012, 12:47 PM
We have the 85 and I don't think it is hard to install. I have more trouble with our decathlon.

ETA: we have an Odyssey and install in the second row.

legaleagle
11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
The frontier 85 is pretty easy, the original frontier was apparently quite the challenge. That said, it's kind of a beast to move, I'd consider getting something cheap like a maestro for your DH's car.

BabyBearsMom
11-20-2012, 01:43 PM
We have the FR85 for DD1 and we really like it. Easy to install with LATCH. The seatbelt install is a little weird but with practice it gets easy, like anything else. The seat is so big it will hold my 99th percentile for height DD1 for years and years. Plus it is super comfy. She will be harnessed for years and years in this seat. We have it in my Odyssey and DH's SUV and it is great.

lorinick
11-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Really like the Frontier 85. I do not find it hard to install. My five year old loves it.

acmom
11-24-2012, 03:04 PM
We have Frontiers in both my car and DH's car - we have had no issues with installing (2006 Honda Pilot and 2011 Subaru Outback). We also have a Maestro as an extra seat for the grandparents car. DD really likes the Frontier and while the Maestro has a been a great extra seat option for us, DD says she is not as comfy in that one. The straps seem more narrow.