PDA

View Full Version : Deciding between new and used Lexus RX350?

Pinky
11-15-2012, 10:28 AM
We are still car shopping and I've started looking at the Lexus RX350's... I'm trying to figure out which is the better decision for the long run from a financial perspective. I sort of feel like I'd be throwing $11K out the window with the new one because the 2009 is a great vehicle and looks/drives almost like new IMO.

---2009 w/39K miles for 30K (includes taxes)
---2013 new for 41K (includes taxes)

Is it worth spending $11,000 more to get the new vehicle? We would be keeping either one for a long time and driving until at least 100,000 miles and of course more if there were no issues.

I'd appreciate any advice!

ChristinaLucia
11-15-2012, 10:34 AM
If you will be keeping it until it gives up the ghost I might go new. If you are going to trade it after like 4 more years I would go used.

flashy09
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
How many miles do you drive per year? I buy new because for awhile I was putting 25,000 miles on every year. Last October I bought a new car and since having the baby have stopped my weekend travels and the car has 7k miles on it and still smells new, but has depreciated obviously quite a bit in value. Hate thinking of how much I could have saved buying a used car now that I am just drive to Gymboree class and Kroger!

AnnieW625
11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Are those the list prices or the prices you have been quoted from the dealer? I would email the dealer and see if you can get quotes for the car. I would try and get the used one for about $27k, and I would try and get the new one for under 40k. If I were in your shoes though I would probably be okay buying the used one. FWIW in 2006 when DH and I were looking at cars we were initially going to buy a used Lexus RX300 or Acura MDX, although we really preferred the styling of the RX, but we had a really hard time finding either one for under $30K that had lower than 50K miles. We drive about 15-20K miles per year and I didn't feel comfortable paying $30K for a car that had 50K+ miles on it so we decided to go with a then top of the line Honda Pilot that was new with no miles for the same price (gas prices in 2006 were low and SUVs weren't being off loaded as much as they are now). My Grandma has a 2006 or 2007 Lexus RX330 and she has had zero problems with it, and I have driven it a few times and it is a dream to drive. Also she never puts premium gas in it, just regular (usually from Costco) and hasn't had any issues at all.

Mikey0709
11-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Just wanted to chime in to say we bought our 2000 Lexus rx300 used about 7 years ago. It had 80,000 miles on it and I knew it was a risk - -

but 7 years later it's still has been dependable for me without very much maintenance whatsoever.

I have put over 120,000 MORE miles on it and little more than tires/brakes.

Now at 200,000+ miles it needs alot of maintenance, but still one of the best cars I ever owned.... and i still love it :) AND i hope it keeps going!

psimpson3-5
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
My brother and SIL have bought 2 used RX300s in the past 13 years. They love that car. They could have kept the first but it had upwards of 150,000 miles and they were ready for a new one.

Zukini
11-15-2012, 03:24 PM
We have a 2012 RX350 purchased new during their 0% financing event in Dec 2011, and also applied the trade value of a 2004 ES330 to the purchase along with a sizable downpayment. I am a big fan of certified pre-owned and had an excellent experience with my ES330 even after I passed 100k miles on the warranty. We traded it at 120k miles - for more than even Carmax was offering, DH was shocked - knowing there was some moderate mechanical work coming up but more so because my DH wanted me in a larger crossover / SUV for safety (Texas is like SUV capital!). I also knew someone with an earlier RX from 1999 who was still driving it strong past 260k miles in 2009. Not only do they hold their value, but with regular maintenance they will run forever!

That said, is the 2009 certified pre-owned? With 39k miles on it, the dealership should consider it for certification and it's worth looking at the incremental cost since it covers pretty much everything bumper to bumper IIRC. Also I would consider the changes between the 2009 and the 2013, there were moderate changes in the fascia / styling of the car (eg. rear wipers hidden in rear visor, front grille, adaptive lights, takes mid-level gas vs. premium, etc) and features offered with the 2010 year and then again with the 2013 year. So if you are planning to hold and sell in 4 years, you will be several body styles behind. Also there were a few Lexus / Toyota models in those years that suffered those horrible braking issues that required attention. I would also double check on that with the 2009.

It's a great car, rides really smooth, you will enjoy no matter which year IMHO. :wavey:

elbenn
11-15-2012, 03:31 PM
I would probably get the used one because it's significantly cheaper. It has 39k miles and is 11k cheaper so you get a discount of $.282 per mile. Is there any formula to know if this is a good discount per mile?

3isEnough
11-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Im a huge prponent of buying used, but in this case the $11k difference for 4 years' spread between the cars is a very small amount. If i could get a brand new car that's 4 years newer, i think i'd go new.

It seems to me that either the 09 is overpriced or the 13 is a great deal (i havent priced them out recently so dont know which is true here). Can you find a used but slightly newer RX350 for around the same price of the 09?

KonzaPrairie
11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
I bought a 2006 Lexus GS300 in 2010. It was a GREAT deal (only $20,000), but seemed a little risky because it had 64000 miles on it. It will probably hit 100,000 today or tomorrow and while I've had to do some work on it (replace the battery, tires, and something else) I still LOVE driving the car and I think it will last a long time.

I read your other thread and was wondering if you have considered the new Infiniti JX? I think they are around the same price as a new RX350 and have the 3rd row seating.

Pinky
11-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Thank you guys so much for the advice! I went to 4 different dealerships and tried various years and model types! I'm going to make a pros and cons list now on the different cars. :)