PDA

View Full Version : help me know the right thing to send/do (warning - sad/sensitive re: newborn)

lmh2402
11-15-2012, 10:57 AM
a long-time colleague just shared a note about the birth of his new granddaughter

sadly, the baby was born with a number of unexpected/unanticipated birth defects and the doctors are awaiting the results of genetic tests to determine what is going on

the family is understandably caught between joy at the birth of a new baby, and devastation at the physical deformities and uncertainty as to what's wrong/what will be the long-term implications and prognosis

i want to send something/do something, but have no idea what is appropriate

his other daughter had a baby a few months ago and we sent the normal fun happy baby gift stuff

so to send nothing seems wrong and even more awkward

it's very hard to know what is appropriate

please keep this family and this baby girl in your thoughts and prayers

i hate that things like this end up giving me perspective. i wish i could keep perspective on a regular basis without the suffering and sadness of others

thanks for the help figuring out what to do

hillview
11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd send something normal honestly. Cute outfit. Some baby books. Baby toys. etc.

JMS
11-15-2012, 11:11 AM
If its not their first, I would send a beautiful personalized baby blanket and a sibling gift.

goldenpig
11-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I'd send something normal honestly. Cute outfit. Some baby books. Baby toys. etc.
:yeahthat:
And how about a meal for the parents? I'm sorry to hear about your friend's granddaughter...hope the baby will be OK.

jench
11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
In a similar situation, we sent an engraved frame with the baby's name & birthdate.

flashy09
11-15-2012, 11:16 AM
I think I would send a gift. I don't know what the physical deformities are, but if you know, just keep them in mind...no toys that requires full use of the hands, etc. Maybe a nice blanket or outfit.

Sorry to hear about the situation and am hoping everything turns out ok with the testing.

AnnieW625
11-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Send a card and offer to take them a meal or give them a gift certificate to a restaurant. I might also do a cute outfit, but I might wait a bit on that.

lmh2402
11-15-2012, 11:20 AM
i don't know the parents - i only know the grandfather

and i'm hesitant to send a "normal" gift b/c based on what i've googled of the symptoms and the fact that the grandfather has hinted that things may be really not so good

i'm not sure the baby is going to make it

but the engraved frame idea is a great one

i think that might be perfect as a baby gift

and maybe we can do a meal for the family too

thank you, guys

Pyrodjm
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Send another normal, baby gift just like you sent for the other grandchild. Special needs babies still need clothes, toys, blankets, diapers, etc.