PDA

View Full Version : Would you go to the doctor for just a cough?

mommylamb
11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
I usually have a pretty strong immune system. I also rarely ever go to the doctor because when I do get sick, I really don't think there's much they can do. I'm of the opinion that sleep and soup are usually the best answer.

Well, I've been sick in one way, shape or form for several weeks now. In the last 3 weeks, I've taken 3 sick days from work, and trust me, I never take sick days, so that's huge for me. It started with a sinus cold and yucky post nasal drip, then the problem ended up in my chest with a cough, then I was up one night with DS1 who was throwing up and I ended up with tummy malcontent and had a fever that day, and now I feel fine overall, except that I can't kick this cough and I sound terrible. It's very mucus-y.

My boss is convinced I have bronchitis just based on how I sound. But I swear, I really don't feel anywhere near as bad as I sound. I think she would rather that I stayed home the last couple days, but I feel silly doing that when I'm otherwise fine. She thinks I should go to the doctor.

Should I go? I do have a PCP. I feel silly doing that though when I really feel fine, have all my energy, no sinus yuckyness any more. And is there anything she could actually do for me? I mean, is it just a wasted co-pay?

BabyBearsMom
11-15-2012, 12:39 PM
She might prescribe something to break up the mucus but you can get the same thing over the counter. I had a bad cough a couple of years ago and the doctor told me to take something...I think it was called Mucosa or something like that? It is the one in the commercials with the big green guys setting up shop in your lungs. It loosens up the mucus so you can cough it up more easily and the cough goes away. It does work, but make sure you buy the kind from behind the counter and not the stuff that they keep out front. And you know me, I don't take any drugs but I was miserable with this cough (sounded awful, kept me up at night etc.).

It's funny you mention this because I think I am taking DD2 to the pedi tomorrow for a cough with no other symptoms.

boilermakermom
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Typically, no. But in this case, I would.

I dealt with something similar in one form or another for close to two months this late summer/early fall. Sinus infection then onto bronchitis then onto pneumonia.

Get checked out, you don't want to be sick for the Holiday.

sste
11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes I think this is a sinus infection perhaps and it can last for months and months if you remain run down and don't take antibiotics.

mackmama
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Typically, no. But in this case, I would.

I dealt with something similar in one form or another for close to two months this late summer/early fall. Sinus infection then onto bronchitis then onto pneumonia.

Get checked out, you don't want to be sick for the Holiday.

:yeahthat: Normally I don't go to doc very often but, in this case, I would to make sure it doesn't escalate. It also sounds like your boss wants to make sure you're not contagious which I can understand.

mypa
11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Go see a doctor. It can easily be bronchitis, walking pneumonia, etc. My pulmonologist gets concerned with any cough that lasts for more than 2 weeks. They'll probably want an x-ray and do a breathing test.

I thought I was fine but had a lingering cough, x-ray was clear but the breathing test showed diminished lung function. I was given inhaled steroids (Advair) and wow, that totally knocked the cough out and my breathing was so much better (I hadn't realized how bad it was until it got better).

With my mom they discovered she had walking pneumonia. We had no idea. She was feeling fine except for the lingering cough. Antibiotics cleared it up for her quickly.

I felt a little silly when I first went in for "just" a cough, but am so glad I did and there are treatments there to help.

Go see the doctor.

hillview
11-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Normally no. From what you said I'd go.

connor_mommy
11-15-2012, 12:52 PM
I had a bad cough for a while and the doc said there was no sense in not being able to get good sleep. She gave me some codeine and I only took have of the dosage. I was happy to be able to sleep through the night.

boolady
11-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Me, too.

ladysoapmaker
11-15-2012, 01:11 PM
I would go. At the very least the doctor will say you just have the after effects of a cold, get some Mucinex and it'll help clear the congestion. At the worst they'll say you have walking pneumonia and here's some antibiotics. And take it easy for the next few days.

Jen

mommylamb
11-15-2012, 01:29 PM
DH is going to get me some mucinex, so we'll see if that helps. If not, I'll try to get in to see the doc on Monday.

Babybearsmom- I hope your DD2 didn't get it from me. She sounded pretty similar when I saw her this morning.

BabyBearsMom
11-15-2012, 01:43 PM
DH is going to get me some mucinex, so we'll see if that helps. If not, I'll try to get in to see the doc on Monday.

Babybearsmom- I hope your DD2 didn't get it from me. She sounded pretty similar when I saw her this morning.
Mucinex! That is the stuff my doctor told me to take. Your cough starts to sound worse though before it gets better because you have to get that carp up and out.

No worries on DD2. Everyone at daycare has been sick, it all gets passed around.

BDKmom
11-15-2012, 01:55 PM

This sounds like a good plan to me, but I would go ahead and schedule the appt with the doc for Monday, just in case. With the holiday week, everyone will be trying to get in last minute.

egoldber
11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
I would also go. A cough that has lasted that long could be a secondary infection, bronchitis, etc.

twowhat?
11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I go if I can't kick the cough in 3 weeks. I know that's kind of waiting a while:) But whenever that's happened, I go - I get antibiotics - the cough goes away in 48 hrs.

So it's definitely possible you have a secondary bacterial infection that's causing the cough.

TwinFoxes
11-15-2012, 02:21 PM
DH had a cough forEVER. His symptoms sound a lot like yours. I finally said sleep on the couch or go to the doctor (he was seriously keeping me up!). Turns out it was bronchitis. Two days of an inhaler and a course of antibiotics, and he's all better. Just go.

ETA: Yeah, he tried mucinex, it helped a little, but I think it just prolonged it. He kept thinking it would get better, but he went through like two bottles of it (read the directions much DH???)

mommylamb
11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow.... well, I just called my PCP to try to make an appointment and the soonest I could be seen (unless she double booked me) is the 29th! Well, hoping the mucinex helps and that the cough is long gone by then!! I really like my PCP, but she is a 1 doc shop and there are some down sides.

pb&j
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Same thing happened to me once. My boss told me to leave the office and not come back until I'd seen a doctor. I'm glad she did, b/c I had walking pneumonia. Got an inhaler and abx. Didn't realize how sick I'd been until I started feeling better.

LizLemon
11-15-2012, 08:18 PM
I would also go. A cough that has lasted that long could be a secondary infection, bronchitis, etc.

It's also normal, though, for a cold to take 2-3 weeks to resolve.

DrSally
11-15-2012, 09:32 PM

:yeahthat: i've had that experience with a weeks long bad cough that ended up being bronchitis.

brgnmom
11-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Coincidentally, I ended up going to my primary care physician's office last week for a cough that wouldn't get better w/ otc meds (10+ days). It ended up being worthwhile in my case, although the wait to see my m.d. took a lot longer than anticipated b/c the office accidentally skipped over me.

But I was happy w/ the sample of nasal spray & prescription med to help treat my cough, which the m.d. thought might be allergy-related. I ended up not filling the antibiotic that she prescribed though b/c my cough got better within a few days of the appointment & using the sample meds she gave.

Hope you feel better soon, OP, and that you are able to see your doctor on Monday if you don't feel better by then.

sweetsue98
11-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I would definitely go! I had a cough for over 6 weeks due to thinking it wasn't as bad as I thought. I physically felt fine except I was coughing. After 2 weeks I went in and was given cough suppressant. It did nothing. I went in the week after and was given antibiotics, advair, and another cough suppressant. I was still coughing up a storm. The next week I went in again and was ready to jump off a bridge. I was given another round of antibiotic, Zyrtec, delysm, albuterol and Vicodin. I finally started to feel better. Yes I had bronchitis and I would definitely go in! Worst 6 weeks of my life!

edurnemk
11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
In your case, yes would. Could be bronchitis or some other infection.

My dad was diagnosed with pneumonia once and he wasn't even feeling sick other than a cough.

babybunny
11-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I was getting bad colds which turned into bronchitis every fall. Even a round of heavy duty antibiotics didn't fix it. It ends up that I have allergic asthma in the fall. The cough was better on allergy meds and an inhaler as a preventative measure from mid October to Dec 1st. What a difference. I had no idea I had asthma. You might want to check with an allergist.