PDA

View Full Version : Updated! I'm ready to try some new makeup...

twowhat?
11-15-2012, 02:31 PM
OK so I thought I'd update since I have used my samples a few times now.

I didn't think I liked the MUFE HD at first. It's more of a light-medium coverage where you have to layer to get full coverage. Until I tried applying it with a brush - that makes a HUGE difference. And I didn't use a fancy foundation brush...I just used that little brush that comes with Bare Minerals sample, LOL! I dot it on my face, then stipple it in with the brush, and then blend. It did settle into my main smile lines but (and I don't know why I didn't think of this before) if I carefully apply the makeup all around and simply avoid putting makeup on the smile lines themselves, it makes a big difference! No makeup there means nothing to cake up! And it truly comes out wonderfully in photos. Definitely a "flawless" very natural finish. I really just need to find something to help with the texture of the skin on my face (rough, esp where the tiny little hairs on my chin are, and bumpy in places). Because no makeup will fix that. Colorwise I'm a 125 which is a better color (more yellow/beige) than my Bare Minerals, which was really a bit too pink even in my closest match.

I also got some BB cream samples and I really like the Clinique BB cream! It is really pretty highly pigmented and full coverage, and it looks good enough by itself without adding any powder or anything to it! Shade 3 is nearly a perfect match for me right now (still have my summer skin).

I've only worn each for a few hours at a time. Haven't tried all day yet but I don't anticipate any problems, esp if I touch up using oil blotting paper to keep any oil buildup from making the makeup slick off.

So I'm going for it and getting the MUFE HD in 125 for special occassions, and the Clinique BB cream for "everday". I won't wear it every day, but will put it on for lunch out with friends maybe. LOL.

eta: oh and I tried the mineral veil primer and it unfortunately totally didn't work for me - it seems super drying and made my skin really flake. But I've been pretty happy with how things look without a primer right now. I will try some other primers next time.
---------------
I was liking my BE until recently. I feel like my face has aged a lot and now the makeup is settling into all the fine lines, etc. Plus - I need full coverage because I have a ton of spider veins all over my face and that requires at least a couple layers of BE (which probably contributes to the settling/cakiness...it gets bad at the end of the day after a day of smiling - my smile lines are crusted over!). I also hate how it rubs off SO easily - I can't wear a lighter colored scarf for example because it will rub off on it.

Since I don't wear makeup every day, I am not worried about sunscreen and would like to find a makeup that will work well for photos as well as work nicely for work (I only wear makeup for work trips which happen about once a month, and for major parties like company holiday parties...I rarely wear makeup at any other time).

I am thinking I should go back to a liquid foundation - do liquids tend to stay put better (not rub off so easily)? I have been reading great things about Make Up Forever HD in terms of good coverage while still looking very natural. Does anyone use this? Any other brands to try? I'm going to try to hit up Sephora tomorrow for samples.

I have normal-oily skin (dry patches on cheeks, oily in T-zone) but the clean & clear oil blotters work great and that's how I touch up during the day (rather than add more powder).

daniele_ut
11-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Tuning in because I am having exactly the same issues right now and I have similar skin.

queenmama
11-15-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm subbing, too. I've worn (and loved) BE for about 8 years but recently -- most likely due to pg and pp hormones -- my skin is a wreck... Really dry and patchy and uneven, and BE isn't cutting it.

I do hate the feel of liquid. It seems sooo heavy after years of BE. I need good coverage for my skin, which is like yours, dry in some spots and oily in others.

Lara

megs4413
11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I'm having the same problem...I hope someone has the solution !

mom2khj
11-15-2012, 03:58 PM
I adore Make Up Forever HD foundation. It's awesome. Blends in well, doesn't feel heavy.

Their Full Coverage Concealer is also awesome for covering spots and what not.

Finish it off with their HD microfinish powder.

If I need a touch-up, I use their Duo Mat powder.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-15-2012, 04:15 PM
i used to use BE mostly but then yeah it's not as much coverage as i need now, plus most photographers suggest not to use it.

i went to Ulta and asked about BB cream and the makeup artist recommended China Doll by Napoleon Perdis (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2164591&productId=xlsImpprod780112&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=2NPGreatStart&categoryId=cat80022). She tried it on me and i was shocked when i looked in the mirror..it really did cover up A TON. I used it when I went for my interview and a few other times and I really liked it. It was worth the $50 for the tiny tube.

It's liquid foundation but a little goes a long way..it's not like traditional liquid makeup at all that feels cakey.

oh and the other thing that they were saying, and i noticed myself too, is that Napoleon brand has a lot of shades/colors that work well with "ethnic" skin. It is a new brand i think from Australia, but the guy is of Greek descent so maybe that's why they have more olive and yellow tones in the foundations and stuff. With BE and others i often noticed i could never get an exact match and everything was often too "pink" or "orange" for my skin (my skin is pretty olive-colored).

twowhat?
11-15-2012, 04:19 PM
i used to use BE mostly but then yeah it's not as much coverage as i need now, plus most photographers suggest not to use it.

i went to Ulta and asked about BB cream and the makeup artist recommended China Doll by Napoleon Perdis (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2164591&productId=xlsImpprod780112&navAction=push&navCount=1&subdoc=2NPGreatStart&categoryId=cat80022). She tried it on me and i was shocked when i looked in the mirror..it really did cover up A TON. I used it when I went for my interview and a few other times and I really liked it. It was worth the $50 for the tiny tube.

It's liquid foundation but a little goes a long way..it's not like traditional liquid makeup at all that feels cakey.

oh and the other thing that they were saying, and i noticed myself too, is that Napoleon brand has a lot of shades/colors that work well with "ethnic" skin. It is a new brand i think from Australia, but the guy is of Greek descent so maybe that's why they have more olive and yellow tones in the foundations and stuff. With BE and others i often noticed i could never get an exact match and everything was often too "pink" or "orange" for my skin (my skin is pretty olive-colored).

Thanks! I will add this to my list to try. And yes - I have noticed that BE is looking pretty orange on my skin. It actually looks better at the end of the day (color-wise) but when I first put it on - it is too orange/pink.

This is what turned me on to wanting to try MUFE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex33wtqnNz8

I don't have acne scars, but mostly discoloration to cover up - but I am amazed at how good her skin looks after she applies this foundation despite the fact that she REALLY slathers it on! And it looks like it comes in soooo many colors including with yellow and olive undertones.

stinkyfeet
11-15-2012, 04:49 PM
I've heard really good things about the Makeup Forever HD system. I haven't tried it myself bc I like to use tinted moisturizer on a daily basis (Tarte), but if I were going for a full coverage foundation, I'd definitely try that.

You might want to go to your local Sephora and ask them to help you pick a color that would work well for you. They are always more than happy to give you a week's sample of the foundation to try.

I would also ask them for a few samples of primer. I think primer makes a huge difference on how foundation looks after application, but it can often feel "heavy" after a few hours of wearing it.

Here is a great kit to try if you do decide you like the MUFE HD foundation.

http://www.sephora.com/hd-complexion-starter-kit-P298102?skuId=1379726

If I remember correctly, you are Asian, right? I am also Asian with strong yellow undertones. I have also always found that Bobbi Brown foundation always looked great on me. The only downside is that I think that a lot of their foundations contain SPF which may not look the best in photos.

You might also want to consider investing in a foundation brush or pro-sponge like the Beauty Blender for application. I have the Bobbi Brown foundation brush and am pretty happy with it, but I am intrigued by the Tarte Airbrush Foundation Brush too. I've seen it in the stores, and the bristles are very soft. I decided to hold off on buying it until I use full-coverage foundation.

http://www.sephora.com/airbrush-finish-bamboo-foundation-brush-P302919?skuId=1393628

One other thing to add--If you do purchase a foundation system, you might want to think about using more often that you described since foundation doesn't last forever and needs to get replaced. ;)

MelissaTC
11-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I have t-zone issues and yellow undertones. Love love love Yves St. Laurent Le Teint Touché Éclat foundation. I use Loreal BB cream as a primer and then I apply the YSL foundation using a Sigma F80 brush. I cover with Coty's translucent face powder. I then use Urban Decay's De-Slick oil control spray. My face has never looked better. I bought the YSL at Nordstrom, brush through amazon and the BB cream/powder a Walgreens. I have become a makeup hound, trying everything I can and this has been the best combo for me.

hellokitty
11-15-2012, 09:50 PM
This is such a timely thread. I'm also Asian American and my skin has changed too and I need to figure things out all over again. Thanks for the suggestions. OP, I too am leaning toward going back to liquid foundation again.

3blackcats
11-15-2012, 09:56 PM
My favourite new foundation is by Vichy. Very expensive but completely worth it. I only wear it days I go to work so a tube will last a long time.

What really helped me was changing my whole skin care routine. I've started using the La Roche Posay line for redness and I've noticed a huge difference in how my skin looks and acts; as well as how my skin takes make up. The Vichy foundation feels like it soothes my skin.

new_mommy25
11-16-2012, 04:25 AM
I love Korres primer. It's amazing. And it smells good! I put it on over my moisturizer and let it sink in for a few minutes. Then I follow with Tarte tinted moisturizer. I am half Filipino and half Caucasian and Tarte's colors work well with my skin. Sometimes I have trouble finding a foundation that blends in well with my skintone. After the tinted moisturizer I often end there. Sometimes I will follow up with a dusting of Clinique powder to set things. Since I started using Tarte I have gotten tons of compliments.

stinkyfeet
11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I love Korres primer. It's amazing. And it smells good! I put it on over my moisturizer and let it sink in for a few minutes. Then I follow with Tarte tinted moisturizer. I am half Filipino and half Caucasian and Tarte's colors work well with my skin. Sometimes I have trouble finding a foundation that blends in well with my skintone. After the tinted moisturizer I often end there. Sometimes I will follow up with a dusting of Clinique powder to set things. Since I started using Tarte I have gotten tons of compliments.

I have a deluxe sized sample of the Korres primer too that I use with my Tarte TM. I also like it a lot. It's silicone-free which probably makes it feel better than some other primers.

fauve01
11-17-2012, 12:58 AM
This is what turned me on to wanting to try MUFE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex33wtqnNz8

I don't have acne scars, but mostly discoloration to cover up - but I am amazed at how good her skin looks after she applies this foundation despite the fact that she REALLY slathers it on!

wow! it's amazing how different her skin looks! i wonder how it looks in real life though. i wonder if it looks cakey IRL?

it does make me think i should RUN out to buy the stuff she is using to cover my red red nose. i can't imagine spending 10+ minutes on foundation alone though. lol

LizLemon
11-17-2012, 02:28 AM
The idea of me posting with makeup suggestions is laughable, but I have sometimes worn tinted moisturizer in the past. I have never purchased any, but I have gotten samples from Sephora and some provide pretty good coverage (as well as SPF, etc.). Maybe that could fit your needs?

kellij
11-17-2012, 02:53 AM
wow! it's amazing how different her skin looks! i wonder how it looks in real life though. i wonder if it looks cakey IRL?

it does make me think i should RUN out to buy the stuff she is using to cover my red red nose. i can't imagine spending 10+ minutes on foundation alone though. lol

That was astonishing. First of all, I don't know why she doesn't go to a dermatologist. Second, it proves you can completely cover any skin issues. I mean the difference is shocking!

twowhat?
11-27-2012, 11:52 PM
That was astonishing. First of all, I don't know why she doesn't go to a dermatologist. Second, it proves you can completely cover any skin issues. I mean the difference is shocking!

In one of her videos she does say that her dermatologist OKs everything she puts on her face and it sounds like she has a pretty horrid case of cystic acne which she's been under treatment for for a long time.

Anyway, I am bumping for update!

zukeypur
11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I need to try this stuff. I went in a few weeks ago to check out the Clinique BB cream, but the lady told me it had light coverage.

twowhat?
11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I need to try this stuff. I went in a few weeks ago to check out the Clinique BB cream, but the lady told me it had light coverage.

The Clinique BB cream had the heaviest coverage of all the ones there! It's very thick and you have to take care to use just a bit and blend it well. It's thick enough that if you turn the sample container upside-down, it doesn't budge.

Sephora is so hit and miss on whether the person you get knows what he/she is talking about. I had to go back because the first lady matched me with a MUFE shade that was WAAAAY too light. It doesn't help that the lighting in the store is awful for actually being able to see what looks good on you.

zukeypur
11-28-2012, 11:11 AM
This was at Belk, but good to know because I was planning on finding a Sephora today when I go to Fort Worth. I wanted to try the Clinique because I can easily get it in our little town without having to go to Dallas or Fort Worth.

BabyH
11-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Go to Sephora and get samples of Cover FX's new cream foundation and Stila's Stay All Day foundation. Both are HG foundations of mine, but I favor the Stila one. You'll need a primer with both and a little goes a long way. The Stila comes with a matching concealer if you decide you love it enough to purchase the full size.

Additionally, if you're a Sephora VIB, the holiday gift cards are out. Mine came in the mail yesterday!