PDA

View Full Version : Master bathroom help - two options

cmdnewton
11-15-2012, 03:17 PM
We are finishing up our plans for a renovation/addition project, but I am stuck at the master bathroom. I have two options and I can make an argument for each one.

Option 1 - stand alone bathtub, shower, 5 foot closet for my clothes
Option 2- no bathtub, larger shower, larger closet

Other details:
-there are two other bathrooms with bathtub/showers in the house
-we will probably not be in this house forever, but could be for a long time
-we do not have a ton of closets/storage space in the house
-my husband doesn't care either way and is leaving the decision to me

Which would you pick?

hillview
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
hands down the no tub option. Do you take baths or does DH? Assume the kids can easily use another bathtub?

WatchingThemGrow
11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I like tubs.

Twoboos
11-15-2012, 03:22 PM
Watching this thread - we're also going back and forth over tub/no tub.

ETA: Our designer said we should pick they way we would like it, not design for anyone else. Although I am still torn, since some have said a tub in the master is just expected and no tub would be a drawback. Personally, we don't take baths.

hillview
11-15-2012, 03:25 PM
so if you take baths I totally get the interest in having a tub. If you DON'T take baths what's the appeal? Just curious.
tia

roseyloxs
11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Unless you love taking baths and you are planning to get an amazing stand alone tub I would opt for the larger closet. It sounds like its something your house needs.

squimp
11-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I think for resale a nice closet and big shower would be a real selling point. I know when we were looking at new houses many of them didn't have a tub in the master.

boltfam
11-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I think for resale a nice closet and big shower would be a real selling point. I know when we were looking at new houses many of them didn't have a tub in the master.

:yeahthat: The only way I would put a bathtub in is if it was a whirlpool or big

almostmom
11-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I think it really depends on how much you like baths!

I SO want a bathtub. There are tons of days when I think, if I only had a decent bathtub, I would take one right now and be in heaven... But we don't have a decent tub in our house so it doesn't happen. So if it was me, I would absolutely go with a tub (and maybe consider a shower tub combo so you don't lose space?). But if you don't think you'll take a bath, or if the other 2 tubs would be fine (and it sounds like they probably would be), then skip it.

But I am sitting at my desk drooling thinking about having a nice bathtub for my very own...

WatchingThemGrow
11-15-2012, 03:37 PM
so if you take baths I totally get the interest in having a tub. If you DON'T take baths what's the appeal? Just curious.
tia
If the OP is planning on selling in a few years, and pricing will be such that the buyer wouldn't be able to gut it and put in a tub, it will rule it out for some buyers. I take baths, but I really prefer the tub to be a deeper one. The place we're in now and in the house we own, the tub takes up the same space, but it's deeper and oh so comfy.

mom3boys
11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I would vote no tub, bigger closet, since it sounds like there are 2 other tubs in the house. Unless you are a big bath taker. I looked at a lot of houses recently since we were moving and it seems like when there's a tub and separate shower in the MB the tub rarely gets used. A closet always get used (have you ever heard someone say there's too much closet space?)

If you could get a larg-ish shower with a little built-in seat or something, even better.

emily
11-15-2012, 03:42 PM
If it's not my forever home, I would probably decide with resale in mind. Do other homes in your area lack storage/closet space? If so, I would probably do no tub and go for the bigger closet especially since you have other tubs in the home.

cmdnewton
11-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Thank you for your quick replies. I have a decision deadline of tomorrow night.

I would take a bath at night if I had a stand alone bathtub, however, only if it's a stand alone tub. There's something weird to me about sitting in the same place as where we shower, even if it's clean. However, it's not going to kill me to take a shower instead of a bath. I've made it this far in life....

Other houses - we are in an area of early 1900's houses, so most houses around us do not have a ton of closet space. My children's bedrooms have quite nice closets. Much nicer than the closets that husband and I currently have.

Resale - I'm trying to figure out if buyers are looking for the "master suite" they see on House Hunters or are they ok with a really nice bathroom w/o the tub but a bigger closet? We could be in the house another two years or ten years. The only way we are selling is if we move out of state. No local moves for us.

cmdnewton
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I would vote no tub, bigger closet, since it sounds like there are 2 other tubs in the house. Unless you are a big bath taker. I looked at a lot of houses recently since we were moving and it seems like when there's a tub and separate shower in the MB the tub rarely gets used. A closet always get used (have you ever heard someone say there's too much closet space?)

If you could get a larg-ish shower with a little built-in seat or something, even better.

That's funny. And a very good point. No complaints ever about too much closet space.