PDA

View Full Version : Help - how to use an old iphone as a itouch

acmom
11-15-2012, 04:08 PM
I see references to doing this all the time and I keep wanting to try it with my old iphone for my kids, but am not exactly sure how to do it.

The old phone has the same "name" as my current phone, so I am a little worried that if I charge and sync it, the computer won't recognize it as a different device and then it will take the place of my current phone. (I somehow messed up my sync on my current phone with the last software update and lost everything and I don't want to somehow make that mistake again!).

If it is an older model iphone, will the newer apps still work? And can I put some of the already purchased apps onto it? I know there is a way to have several devices hooked to one iTunes account, but I have only done it with our iPad and my current phone, which the computer obviously recognized as different devices.

Can anyone walk me through this? TIA!

jerigirl
11-15-2012, 04:23 PM
we did this with dh's old phone for ds. i can't answer your questions specifically (i would have to ask him how he did it) but I do know that he renamed it. We can synch all 3 of our phones separately on 1 itunes acct. all of our apps are installed on all 3 phones. some of the newer apps are only compatible with 4 and up. when you download new apps in itunes it will mention compatibily on the left hand side of the screen. definitely be sure to turn off in-app purchasing.

ETA: when looking on the phone- under settings, my number- it still shows DH's number (that is now active on his new phone.)

larig
11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
I see references to doing this all the time and I keep wanting to try it with my old iphone for my kids, but am not exactly sure how to do it.

The old phone has the same "name" as my current phone, so I am a little worried that if I charge and sync it, the computer won't recognize it as a different device and then it will take the place of my current phone. (I somehow messed up my sync on my current phone with the last software update and lost everything and I don't want to somehow make that mistake again!).

If it is an older model iphone, will the newer apps still work? And can I put some of the already purchased apps onto it? I know there is a way to have several devices hooked to one iTunes account, but I have only done it with our iPad and my current phone, which the computer obviously recognized as different devices.

Can anyone walk me through this? TIA!

definitely rename the phone like PP mentioned. You can do this while it is hooked up to itunes.

You want to remove the sim card.

Without knowing how old the phone is I can't tell you what will and won't be able to run on it. anything 4 or above is current and can run the latest OS. We currently have 3 iphones, and 2 ipads syncing with our library, to give you and idea of itunes' ability to keep things straight. We use the same iTunes music store login and therefore can share apps amongst the devices. yes, you should be able to put all of the older apps on it.

jerigirl
11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
My DH said that once he transferred service and all of the data to his new phone, he reset the old one back to the factory settings. He really isn't much help on this. He did it several months ago and does really remember exactly what he did.

I found this link
stefanimccune.com/2011/12/turn-your-old-iphone-into-ipod-touch.html

I wouldn't take the SIM card out.

larig
11-15-2012, 11:34 PM
My DH said that once he transferred service and all of the data to his new phone, he reset the old one back to the factory settings. He really isn't much help on this. He did it several months ago and does really remember exactly what he did.

I found this link
stefanimccune.com/2011/12/turn-your-old-iphone-into-ipod-touch.html

I wouldn't take the SIM card out.

We have always taken them out. Mostly because we've put them in the new phone (except the iPhone 5, which has a different form). We've done this with 3 iphones, most recently with the iphone 4 (as I passed my 4s to dh when I got my 5). He took his sim out of the 4 and put it in the 4s. You only will need a sim card in it if you have to restore it for some reason. If it's already been in use, you shouldn't have to restore it to make it work as a touch.