PDA

View Full Version : LOL- Spin off from classroom parties: UPDATE post 7

California
11-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Very grateful for the thread on classroom parties, because without it I might have been kind of ticked by this. Instead I got a very good laugh:

My daughter came home from school TODAY and told me that she needs to bring in something TOMORROW for a class party. To quote: "Like pizza or pumpkin pie or something for 26 kids. Everyone has to bring in something!!"

The teacher told me last week that the room parent is "lacking in organization." Guess I'd have to agree. :rotflmao:

Suggestions for what to send in? Pizza to pie- it's wide open!

niccig
11-16-2012, 02:16 AM
Pumpkin bread? Do you have a can of pumpkin in the pantry?

elektra
11-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Do you have time to run out?

Popcorn?
Brownie bites from TJ's?

(I am so thankful for my cranberry in a can commitment at this point! ;))

glbb35
11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Awe man, quick notices suck and boo to the room mom for being a slacker. It is too early in the school year for her to be a slacker!!!! I like the popcorn idea. We had this happen in K one time when our room mom's father passed away. She completely forgot about an event where lots had to be organized and the teacher did the same. Surprisingly everyone came through (although we knew her dad had passed so that might make the difference as far as getting help) I ended up bringing like the only thing we had in the house, some bananas. Chips, some juice boxes (doesn't have to be the total but what you have?), the popcorn idea is great and easy, some fruit (apples, oranges, bananas to be cut up), pretzels etc? Not the most nutritious but hey no notice means less thought into it.

Good luck!

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 7/11

*myfoursons
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
And now I'm happy our school doesn't allow food at school parties!

I would do pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. Easy-peasy, and most kids love.

sarahsthreads
11-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Wow, that's pretty last minute! If I had time I'd run out and get mini apples or something like the popcorn suggestion because probably *everyone* is going to quick whip up the emergency box of brownie mix in their pantries. (Other people do keep emergency boxes of brownie mix in their pantry, right?)

Sarah :)

alexsmommy
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Oh wow... And I was feeling bad that I forgot to send out the email request on Monday for a party the Tuesday before Thanksgiving! I guess a full weeks notice was good!

California
11-17-2012, 01:59 PM
UPDATE on the thanksgiving feast

So to recap: Thursday after school DD tells me she needs party treats, right? OK- well I had invited all the scouts over for a potluck celebration. 30+ people in my house after school. Wonderful kids but OMG the mess! My rule is no potluck foods or drinks that stain if dropped. Must amend rule to include: "and no popcorn." Kernals in every nook and cranny of my living room.

I forgot to put one thing out: Baby Carrots. Ooh la la! Seriously thought about sending those in with DD, but knew she'd never go for it. And if it turned out to be the only food- classic party fail and great future story, but not a pleasant actual experience. Loved the idea of making something from scratch but could not actually pull it off after cleaning up after the party.

Fast forward to the morning- realized with my schedule that I could make it to DD's classroom an hour before school gets out and bring treats then. But, on further questioning, she thinks that the party is right after lunch. Or maybe after science. Or PE. It is the fricken telephone game at 7 am! So we decided to run into Vons for their Friday $5 deal on brownie bites (thank you Electra!). Which meant leaving a half hour early. Which meant utter chaos because apparently my well-oiled morning machine falls apart completely with any changes to schedule. Temper tantrum from DD2 while I took a shower. Got out of shower, got her dressed and ready to go, threw on a new shirt, made the most pathetic lunches ever on the reasoning that there would be food at the class parties, rushed out the door with all three kids, get to Vons... and DD1 (who's party we are making this effort for) says...

"Mom, you know your bra is showing in the back? And you didn't even fasten it all the way!" I had completely forgotten the big keyhole opening in the back of my new shirt. So now I am the mom with wet hair, no makeup and a leopard print bra hanging out (apparently not completely fastened) dragging her kids through Vons for a box of brownie bites in the early AM. All we needed was a temper tantrum from DD2 and a finger wagging white haired granny to make it perfect.

We grab capri suns, because in my crazed mind brownies and capri suns are the basic foundation of any classroom party. We get to the car and I realize I don't have a jacket, squat, anything for myself. The kids are looking at me like they expect to see my head spin around at any moment. DD ventures, "Mom, made you should take a few breaths." Which tells me that I may not be having my best mommy moment at this time. Take a deep breath, and admit: "Look, this was stupid of me. I apologize for rushing us out the door this morning, I am going to go by the house and get a jacket and we're going to just slow down." Fortunately I pull into drop off two minutes before school start time. The kids are not exactly sad to leave me behind.

I park the car, walk in, and check in on DD's class. Surprise! The teacher says they have plenty of food and I don't need to bring anything!!

Let's just let that sink in. Plus party is the hour before school gets out...

To wrap up this tale, let's fast forward to the party. When I walk in the teacher is reading at his desk. The kids are running wild. No other parents. Here is the bounty (grabbed from a pantry or 7-11 near you) for the traditional Thanksgiving feast:

Capri Suns with:
cheetos
apple slices
Lays chips
ritz crackers
pepper jack cheese
kudos bars
kraft mac n' cheese
and the creme de resistance: two marshmallows per child.

No brownies bites, because the teacher thought the kids already had enough. Which is fine by me. After my morning I needed all the chocolate I could get.

Happy Thanksgiving!

TwinFoxes
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Here is the bounty (grabbed from a pantry or 7-11 near you) for the traditional Thanksgiving feast:

Capri Suns with:
cheetos
apple slices
Lays chips
ritz crackers
pepper jack cheese
kudos bars
kraft mac n' cheese
and the creme de resistance: two marshmallows per child.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I feel like I'm at Plymouth Rock just reading this! You are a total sport, what a great attitude. :)

AbbysMom
11-17-2012, 02:33 PM
I feel like I'm at Plymouth Rock just reading this! You are a total sport, what a great attitude. :)

Hahahahaha. This is a great thread. Loved the update! Happy Thanksgiving!

deborah_r
11-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Loved your update! I have had some similar experiences with class parties over the years. With DS1 in 4th grade, I already feel burned out on those events. Dread is not a strong enough word. I now take pre-emptive Tylenol and a large latte before I head to the school.

jerigirl
11-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Oh Wow! you handled that way better than I would have!

Globetrotter
11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
:rotflmao:

Love the traditional feast.

elektra
11-17-2012, 05:13 PM

LOL! Enjoy your brownie bites!

sarahsthreads
11-17-2012, 05:13 PM
:ROTFLMAO:

Oh. Oh my. I literally was laughing out loud and wound up having to read the list of feast-worthy foods off to DH because he wanted to know what was so funny!

You are a fabulous writer - I was totally there with you in the store, leopard print bra and all. ;)

Sarah :)

niccig
11-17-2012, 06:45 PM
:hysterical:
I bet the kids LOVED the party.

And people were wondering in the other thread why parents hate class parties. This is why!

Even if more notice is given, it can be after someone has already done their weekly grocery shopping and having to drag kids into store in a hurry to grab something is a recipe for disaster.

Mopey
11-18-2012, 12:47 AM
"Mom, you know your bra is showing in the back? And you didn't even fasten it all the way!" I had completely forgotten the big keyhole opening in the back of my new shirt. So now I am the mom with wet hair, no makeup and a leopard print bra hanging out (apparently not completely fastened) dragging her kids through Vons for a box of brownie bites in the early AM.

:hysterical:

You are a trooper Mama!! Hope you enjoyed some wine with your chocolate :)

squimp
11-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Oh wow what a hilarious story. Thank you for the laughs!! The description of the feast is just too much. The pilgrims and their cheetos. Bwhaaa!