PDA

View Full Version : anyone btdt with a kid who has a broken leg?

AnnieW625
11-16-2012, 02:44 AM
DD1 has a broken leg, fibula/tibula fracture. It was broken yesterday while she was at school. They were playing soccer and DD1 slipped and another kid ran into her and fell on her leg. She did not need surgery, but her leg is in a full leg cast. She has a wheel chair, but will also go to PT tomorrow to get some crutches. She is off school through next week.

Any BTDT tips?

elektra
11-16-2012, 04:18 AM
No BTDT, but I am sorry your DD had that happen!

niccig
11-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Oh No. I'm sorry. I know someone will come along in the morning with some great advice.

WatchingThemGrow
11-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Oh no!!! But I bet she could use these this week! http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13164828&gcsct=0ChMI0JDX97vTswIVmKjmCh3pbgAAEAA

georgiegirl
11-16-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm so sorry. That really stinks. No experience with leg fracture, but DS (3) did break his arm last may and it was a total PITA. At her age, at least she won't try to do crazy stuff she's not supposed to (DS was jumping off stairs the day after he got his long arm cast), but it will probably bother her more. Poor girl. Be sure to have Benadryl on hand for itchiness. Do you have an iPad or other type of tablet (or is it in the budget)? At least she will improve her reading skills! I'm so sorry for you and her.

TwinFoxes
11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Oh my goodness! No btdt, but I'm so sorry that happened. It sounds pretty major.

DietCokeLover
11-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Bless her heart! I am so sorry.

peanut520
11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
No btdt but just wanted to say I'm sorry your dd has a broken leg and wish her a speedy recover.

swissair81
11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
DD1 broke her tibia when she was 5. She jumped off a stool onto our dining room floor and broke it in 3 places. At the time I had a 16 month old and I was 26 weeks pregnant with DS. The long cast was only on for 2 weeks, and that was the hardest part. She wasn't old enough for crutches, and I had to carry her anywhere not accessible by wheelchair. It was not fun. Teaching her to scooch on her behind was helpful. After 2 weeks, she got a walking cast, and life got much easier. Not sure what btdt you need, but feel free to ask me whatever.

crl
11-16-2012, 09:11 AM
No tips, but I am so sorry! I hope she heals quickly!

Catherine

KDsMommy
11-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that DD broke her leg, poor kiddo.

snowbunnies300
11-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Oh poor thing! Hope her recovery goes well and fast!

trales
11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Poor kiddo, I hope she gets lots of stickers and friends to decorate her cast and make her feel better.

Beth24
11-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that Annie. How long do they think she will be in the cast?

fivi2
11-17-2012, 11:39 AM
One of the first grade boys has a broken leg right now (in twin A's class). According to dd, he has several helpers in the classroom assigned to do different duties for him - getting his snack, get his backpack or lunch for him, ride in the elevator with him, turn in his math.

The teacher gave him a special golden pillow to prop his leg up on (on a chair).

Hope your dd feels better soon! That sounds painful!

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Ouch! I'm sorry!

g-mama
11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
My oldest ds broke his leg when he was 2.5 in a situation similar to your dd's. He was running across a room when a classmate collided with him and he landed on the concrete floor. He wore a cast up to his knee for about 4 weeks, but no crutches. He was too young for them, I think, so he just dragged the leg around after he'd had the cast on for a few days.

I remember it being difficult to bathe him so he had sponge baths for a month and I washed his hair in the sink. He did limp for a few months after the cast came off and the dr said that was normal as they re-learn to walk normally.

I hope your dd feels better soon. They do adapt amazingly well when they're young.

lmh2402
11-17-2012, 01:56 PM
oh man. no btdt, but wanted to send some :hug:

i'm sorry, annie. i really hope DD recovers quickly!

ZeeBaby
11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
So sorry this happened to your DD. hopefully she recovers quickly.

sasha
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
OMG! I hope your dd heals super fast!

My ds2 had a similar break when he was 7. We found that he was too young to really manage crutches (PT agreed) but did really well with a walker. It was a youth-size walker and we put a pouch on it so he could carry some things in it. Worked great and more independent for him than a wheelchair.

My son had a fiberglass cast with the lining that let him take baths just as he would otherwise, in fact it was encouraged as it really helps with the dead skin itchies. But it was like sandpaper on his other leg and my furniture and floors, so he wore his sister's super long soccer socks over his cast. Much more comfortable for him.

Best of luck!

Tondi G
11-17-2012, 07:23 PM
We've had experience with broken arms and elbows but not legs. I'm so sorry .... dealing with casts on litte kids can be a real PITA! We got really good at speedy baths ... they start getting really hot and sweaty the minute the plastic bag goes on! Bath filled , he jumped in..... arm propped on the side of the tub.... clean the parts.... then the bag went on .... large cup to wash hair as quickly as possible and then get that bag off asap! You can do hair washing in the sink when you don't want to deal with putting her leg in a tras bag!

Hope it heals up quickly and that she isn't in too much discomfort. We learned with the 2nd cast about Gortex lining which made the cast a lot more comfortable for DS. Motrin worked better for the pain and swelling than tylenol with codeine.

Oh and we went to Staples and bought a big set of multi colored Sharpie pens for DS' friends to write on his casts .... he loved it!

(((HUGS)))