PDA

View Full Version : A little cake PSA

Mopey
11-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't know if this is widely known or recognized, but when you buy a cake from Costco, Sam's Club, or places like that, as well as grocery stores (can't speak for WF or TJs since they are supposed to be more natural, no?) most of the filling/frosting is solid shortening and/or margarine (in the cake mix as well). That's why they are so inexpensive. I had a client who chose one for a birthday since she was away from home and apparently the film-on-the-tongue was a big deal. That's shortening.

Just wanted to share since I know there are both health conscious and budget conscious parents here :)

HTH!!

vonfirmath
11-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't know about what the ingredients are. But I know the Costco cake is DELICIOUS. We prefer it to our homemade cakes here! No "film on the tongue" issues here.

jerigirl
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
You post reminded me of something I saw on FB this week:
http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/04/06/food-babe-investigates-birthday-cakes/

maestramommy
11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
This is only one of the reasons I make all our bday cakes. That and most commercial cakes are so sweet D and A won't eat more than a mouthful.

But, I took a cake frosting/decorating class last year and the instructors told us shortening makes the best frosting in terms of workability.

HannaAddict
11-16-2012, 01:12 PM
We are lucky to have a local grocery store with fabulous bakery that does real buttercream. Costco is okay in a pinch but the Safeway cakes are like pure shortening and gross to me. Thanks for the reminder.

lovin2shop
11-16-2012, 01:55 PM
I never thought of cake as health food, but I remember being shocked the first time I looked up icing recipes! I don't know what I thought icing was made of, but it never occurred to me it could be 100% shortening (or maybe butter) and powdered suger. Ick!

WatchingThemGrow
11-16-2012, 02:02 PM
I hope baskin robbins makes theirs with less shortening. Just dropped off a "finger bowling" set to put on top of DS's mint choc chip cake. yum.

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2012, 02:14 PM
That's why I bake my own from scratch and use butter. Not health food but not shortening. :)

BabbyO
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
From what I can tell in looking up frosting recipes for the past 3 years...if you want a frosting for decorating that is NOT buttercream (my kids are dairy allergic) the majority of the recipes are:
-powdered sugar
-shortening
-a small amt of milk
-vanilla or other flavored extract.

I haven't found a recipe that has varied much from this...and that is homemade.

doberbrat
11-16-2012, 02:32 PM
From what I can tell in looking up frosting recipes for the past 3 years...if you want a frosting for decorating that is NOT buttercream (my kids are dairy allergic) the majority of the recipes are:
-powdered sugar
-shortening
-a small amt of milk
-vanilla or other flavored extract.

I haven't found a recipe that has varied much from this...and that is homemade.

I dont know how well it would hold up for decorating but my grandmother used to make a marshmello fluff type frosting - its eggs, karo syrup, vanilla and sugar as far as I remember. I could look up the recipe for you if you'd like.

squimp
11-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I grew up in the south where Loretta Lynn told us to use Crisco. So not a big deal to me. Most good icing recipes have at least part shortening, even lots of buttercream ones are half and half. Fat is fat so I'm not sure butter is any "better" than shortening from a health perspective. Cholesterol is higher with butter.

AnnieW625
11-16-2012, 03:07 PM
I personally have had really good luck with Vons/Pavillions (aka Safeway almost every where on the west coast less So Cal) in the past and they do a butter cream. I have never had issues with after taste. I never thought I would really like store cakes but I for whatever reason these ones taste good. I usually only get them when I am in a pinch and or need a 1/2 sheet cake.

However with that said I really do enjoy making my own frosting (either Sprinkles Strawberry, or the basic butter cream off the back of the C&H box--same as Domino) and usually make cupcakes or 1/4 sheet cakes using Betty Crocker mixes.

I use shortening in cooking and honestly it has never bothered me much, some cookies I make actually taste better when I use either shortening and butter vs. regular old shortening.

Mopey
11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
I use shortening in cooking and honestly it has never bothered me much, some cookies I make actually taste better when I use either shortening and butter vs. regular old shortening.

Shortening I think is meant to be cooked....so I can see how that would work (and it also gets rid of the film on the tongue feeling when you cook it). I personally only use a little for pie crust. And I'm not saying butter is the best, just wanted people to realize the ingredient.

And thanks for the link - I didn't even begin to think of the other additives. Now I am glad we do all organic here :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I grew up in the south where Loretta Lynn told us to use Crisco. So not a big deal to me. Most good icing recipes have at least part shortening, even lots of buttercream ones are half and half. Fat is fat so I'm not sure butter is any "better" than shortening from a health perspective. Cholesterol is higher with butter.

I think shortening is more artery clogging. And, unless you seek out the non-hyodrogenated ones, it's all partially hydrogenated oil...known to be pretty much the bottom of the barrel health wise.

Mopey
11-16-2012, 03:41 PM
I think shortening is more artery clogging. And, unless you seek out the non-hyodrogenated ones, it's all partially hydrogenated oil...known to be pretty much the bottom of the barrel health wise.

While we're at it....... I have to find the article but apparently margarine shares almost all of its' chemical composition with PLASTIC :47:

m448
11-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Real buttercream (french buttercream) doesn't have powdered sugar and is super rich (I actually like it though). It's a cooked sugar syrup beat into eggs and then lumps of softened butter beat into that.

In Dominican Republic we make pretty much all cakes with a dominican frosting similar to 7 minute frosting. Pure sugar and the cake is a lightened up version of poundcake but I don't think anyone tears into a piece thinking they're eating a salad. :wink2:

Like Beth mentioned there is organic shortening (basically palm oil) and I too love it for half and half pie crusts or pastelito dough. Yum. Basically there's nothing like a homemade cake if for nothing than perpetuating memories. DH's favorite cake doesn't even have frosting. It's a southern coconut cake that has a cooked "syrup" (think thinned out pastry cream) that is poured hot over the cake and drenches it like a drunken cake. The other is a 12 layer rigamorole that never looks neat but tastes pretty good.

anonomom
11-16-2012, 04:17 PM
If you're looking for a less-sugary, less buttery frosting recipe, there is one kind made with flour. It has about half the sugar and butter of buttercream, but it comes out fluffy and delicious. You can search on the Pioneer Woman website to find it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2012, 04:25 PM
If you're looking for a less-sugary, less buttery frosting recipe, there is one kind made with flour. It has about half the sugar and butter of buttercream, but it comes out fluffy and delicious. You can search on the Pioneer Woman website to find it.

I could not make that one work for the life of me. I mean, I successfully made frosting but it wasn't a success to my taste buds and tummy. ;) It has lots of fans though!

m448
11-16-2012, 04:28 PM
I could not make that one work for the life of me. I mean, I successfully made frosting but it wasn't a success to my taste buds and tummy. ;) It has lots of fans though!

Could be because it was a rations frosting (in response to hard times). I never could bring myself to make it fearing it would taste like supermarket "buttercream" and ending up with a flop.

Tondi G
11-16-2012, 04:35 PM
we ask for whipped cream frosting and fresh sliced strawberries (no jelly).

I can't stand that super sugary frosting or the kind that leaves that film on the roof of your mouth.... YUCK!

kijip
11-16-2012, 04:48 PM
That's why I bake my own from scratch and use butter. Not health food but not shortening. :)

:yeahthat: For me, it is a taste thing. Eat shortening slathered on cake? No thanks and I still keep shortening around for things here and there. Quality over quantity. That said I use Wilton cake decorator's icing for the kids birthdays. That must be shortening and gawd knows what else. But I am not a huge icing fan.

BigDog
11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
I don't know about what the ingredients are. But I know the Costco cake is DELICIOUS. We prefer it to our homemade cakes here! No "film on the tongue" issues here.

:yeahthat:

YouAreTheFocus
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I dont know how well it would hold up for decorating but my grandmother used to make a marshmello fluff type frosting - its eggs, karo syrup, vanilla and sugar as far as I remember. I could look up the recipe for you if you'd like.

Yes, this stuff is delicious! My grandmother made it as well. She called it boiled icing. She would make it plain/vanilla or chocolate flavored. I always picked chocolate :D

DrSally
11-16-2012, 06:24 PM
we ask for whipped cream frosting and fresh sliced strawberries (no jelly).

I can't stand that super sugary frosting or the kind that leaves that film on the roof of your mouth.... YUCK!

That's my fav kind. I, too, remember seeing a frosting receipe for the first time and realizing that it's mostly butter/ shortening and sugar! Plus, the bakery cakes use soooo much frosting. I always make my own, ,due to allergies, anyway.

DrSally
11-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I used to use shortening when DS had a dairy allergy, so I was grateful there was a substitute.

Cam&Clay
11-16-2012, 06:53 PM

It's our favorite! It was even our wedding cake (very small backyard wedding)!

MamaMolly
11-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I never thought of cake as health food,

Nuff said! ;) I loooooove frosting, just not the stuff in a can. The Hershey's cocoa powder recipe is YUMMY.

KDsMommy
11-16-2012, 07:54 PM
My mom always used the recipe on the Hershey's cocoa can, it's the BEST.

bisous
11-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I have to say, I LOVE my shortening frosting recipe a little too much. I pretend that I'm being healthier by using 100% organic mechanically pressed palm oil but it looks (and tastes) just like shortening. It makes a mean white frosting, complete with rice milk, vanilla and good old powdered sugar! I found this recipe when we were dairy free but I use it now because it is my favorite. Ironically, I like it best on the CAKE from the back of the Hershey's chocolate cocoa box! Shortening frosting, chocolate cupcake, mini m & ms = my favorite cupcake ever!

essnce629
11-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I hosted my best friend's baby shower last weekend and I ordered an awesome White Bavarian cream cake. It was made with whipped cream frosting and two layers of fresh strawberries! It wasn't too sweet at all and two people told me it was the best cake they had ever had! I only like whipped cream frosting as it's lighter in texture and not too sweet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_7429.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_7431.jpg

Radosti
11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
We get a costco cake every year for the kids birthdays. Just ordered one for DS1's birthday. DD is getting something small baked by me because it's the same party and I did not want 2 huge cakes. Everything that is left over after the party, I take to work because my kids love the cream cheese filling in that cake and would eat the whole thing. I am diet controlled pre-diabetic, so it is best not to tempt fate. The leftovers always go very quickly at work as all my co-workers inhale it and remark about how tasty the cake is.