PDA

View Full Version : Types of Christmas Lights

lhafer
11-16-2012, 04:58 PM
What kind of Christmas lights do you prefer? Are icicle lights out dated? Do you do all the roof peaks, or just the edge of the roof line?

Trying to decide what to do for our house this year. Here is the elevation of our house - what do you think would look best?

Poll coming...

lhafer
11-16-2012, 05:05 PM
For reference to they type of lights I'm talking about....

C7/C9 bulbs - all one color

Icicle lights only - all one color

white Icicle lights with a strand of colored C7/C9 above them

AnnieW625
11-16-2012, 05:14 PM
We have all white icicle lights. I will most likely continue with all white because I can't stand the blue in the LED lights so unless they make it look less bright then I probably won't do multi colored lights. I do like clear LED lights though.

ourbabygirl
11-16-2012, 05:18 PM
I like plain white (warm white LEDs versus cool white, which have a more blueish-tone). :) Icicle lights are nice, but can be a bit dated and can look out-of-place, depending on the house.
We did white last year and again this year- I prefer white but think our young kids would've liked multicolored more. We didn't do it because they would have charged us double to put them up since they'd have to cut a bunch of new wires, etc. Unfortunately they put up a mixture of the cool white LEDs & warm (some on the trees, and others on the house), and we didn't see it until after they were all up. So be careful about that, & make sure from the beginning that you get what you want! ;)

kristenk
11-16-2012, 05:20 PM
I think we currently have multicolored c7 or c9 bulbs. DH hangs them himself along the edge of the roof. I like them a lot. He actually went to a garden store that sold strands of christmas lights by the yard. You picked out how long you wanted your base strand to be and then you picked out the bulbs you wanted to use. We could pick our own color pattern that way and the lights have really held up over the years.

When it comes to icicle lights, I prefer the look of white lights.

I dislike a lot of the professionally installed lights b/c they look too perfect or too big or too *something*. I'm not sure what it is, but they rub me the wrong way. They look like runway lights to me and don't really make me think of the holidays. I'm pretty sure that's just me, though!

lhafer
11-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I think we currently have multicolored c7 or c9 bulbs. DH hangs them himself along the edge of the roof. I like them a lot. He actually went to a garden store that sold strands of christmas lights by the yard. You picked out how long you wanted your base strand to be and then you picked out the bulbs you wanted to use. We could pick our own color pattern that way and the lights have really held up over the years.

When it comes to icicle lights, I prefer the look of white lights.

I dislike a lot of the professionally installed lights b/c they look too perfect or too big or too *something*. I'm not sure what it is, but they rub me the wrong way. They look like runway lights to me and don't really make me think of the holidays. I'm pretty sure that's just me, though!

This is what we did on our first house and had alternating white and red bulbs and it looked great! Now we have a new house, and may go this route again.

wellyes
11-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I think icicles look trashy. Sorry to those who have them! It is an irrational prejudice.

For regular outdoor bulbs, I like multicolor unless you are really strategic about placement. Basically, colored bulbs you can kinda strew anywhere and they'll look OK, white bulbs you have to be artistic with.

marymoo86
11-16-2012, 06:12 PM
I like icicle light if there' s actually snow where you live which I think is not the case.

Otherwise plain white would look best with your elevation and I would light the trees. I associate multicolor with older homes.

sunshine873
11-16-2012, 06:13 PM
I like plain,white lights, but I appreciate colored lights if they're done well. I am not a fan of icicle lights (sorry if I'm offending anyone) I just feel like they don't actually look like icicles, who are we fooling? That said, my absolute biggest Christmas light pet peeve is when people mix colored and white lights. Ugh, it messes with my symmetrical mind.

AnnieW625
11-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I think icicles look trashy. Sorry to those who have them! It is an irrational prejudice. ....

May I ask why? That just seems kind of out there if you ask me. It is rare that you see the old school big bulbs anymore in my area. I actually had to look up what c7/c9 bulbs are :bag. Most people have mini clear, mini colored, or clear icicle lights here. I have thought about putting those old school lights up on my house as they definitely fit the style of my 1950s house. We are due for new lights this year anyway so maybe I will try and de-trash myself. I will say at least with have icicle lights I have never once seem them left up all year long, where as even though I like the old school bulbs I think those look way trashy-er if they are left up all year long. Just saying.... .

I live in SoCal so I am definitely not fooling anyone with my icicle lights, and I am not offended by those who don't like icicle lights.

specialp
11-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I love white lights and think they would look great on your house.

I don't think icicles are trashy but I do not like them because (a) they look bad in the day like all these wires are hanging off your house whereas the others just blend into the lines of your house and (b) they are hard to do right. Most of the time I see a weird placement because the icicles aren't the exact length or do not work on a particular angle. The picture you showed is beautiful, but I rarely seem them done that well.

kristenk
11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
I've been thinking more about lights. lol

I agree that icicle lights don't look all that good during the day. I like them at night, though.

Whatever color or type of lights you have, please make sure that they either don't blink or blink in sync with the other strands!

kerridean
11-17-2012, 10:18 AM
I have ALWAYS hated icicle lights from day 1.

liamsmom
11-17-2012, 10:46 AM
I like icicles, but I agree that people often don't hang them that well, and you really need to cover a lot of area to have them look their best.

I don't really care for the white lights with a single strand of color. But, for some bizarre reason, I like houses with all white lights on the house and a separate tree or bush decorated with colored lights. I don't know why, but I like the odd contrast.

lhafer: Your house is gorgeous! Get whatever lights you like the most and have fun!

123LuckyMom
11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I like the simple, elegant, classic look of little warm white lights. I do not like icicle lights. I do like more unique things like hanging, lit garland balls.

On the other hand, if you want to go the opposite of simple and classic, I say do big as you can find them multicolored lights with as many moving lawn ornaments as you can find. Kitschy chic!

lizzywednesday
11-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I think that white icicle lights would look charming on your house - they look so neat on houses with those peaks!

I'd wanted icicle lights on our house, but we have a lighted wreath instead.

Roystewart
11-25-2012, 12:10 PM
What kind of Christmas lights do you prefer? Are icicle lights out dated? Do you do all the roof peaks, or just the edge of the roof line?

Trying to decide what to do for our house this year. Here is the elevation of our house - what do you think would look best?

Poll coming...

I love to prefer led lights. Bright and colorful

MelissaTC
11-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I have ALWAYS hated icicle lights from day 1.

Me too. We use C9 LED multicolor. Most of my neighbors use white or icicle lights. DH loves his color lights.

queenmama
11-25-2012, 01:29 PM
I like the simple, elegant, classic look of little warm white lights. I do not like icicle lights. I do like more unique things like hanging, lit garland balls.

On the other hand, if you want to go the opposite of simple and classic, I say do big as you can find them multicolored lights with as many moving lawn ornaments as you can find. Kitschy chic!

For your home, I agree that warm white would be gorgeous!

For my home, I do LOVE the old fashioned giant multicolored lights. I am all about the kitsch (DH is too big of a Scrooge to do outdoor lights, so I overcompensate by decking the indoors with as much vintage Christmas as my house will hold).

ETA: Icicle lights? Some houses look classy, some look tacky. I think they must be super difficult to get right!

Lara

squimp
11-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Funny those c9 lights look old school to me. I love icicle lights, I think they are really pretty. Can't wait to put them up on our new house this year!