PDA

View Full Version : Friday Fun, when was the last time you had a.....

AnnieW625
11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Twinkie, Ding Dong, Hostess Cupcake, Donettes, a slice of Wonder Bread?

Just heard it is official the company is closing all 33 plants and laying off 18,500 workers.

I haven't had a Twinkie since college, so 13 or so years ago. I think that is the last time I had a Hostess Cup Cake, but I kind of think I might have had one in the last 10 yrs. . Wonder Bread hasn't been sold in our markets for a few years, although I am not sure why.

poll coming

hellokitty
11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
It's been probably over 10 yrs. I like nutty buddies, but those are little Debbie.

SnuggleBuggles
11-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Ages ago. More than 10 years.

SkyrMommy
11-16-2012, 05:41 PM
I think that DH and I ate some Twinkies on our road trip four years ago. And I remember those chocolate cake thingys with the swirl frosting on top, what are those?

AnnieW625
11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
I think that DH and I ate some Twinkies on our road trip four years ago. And I remember those chocolate cake thingys with the swirl frosting on top, what are those?

Those are the cup cakes. They made them in Vanilla too.

g-mama
11-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I have to admit that my guilty pleasure is Hostess SnoBalls. The pink marshmallow covered chocolate cake with cream inside and coconut on the outside. I have been known to throw a single package in the cart from time to time when the kids aren't with me. They'll never know my dirty little secret. :loveeyes:

justlearning
11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Can't recall a time I've had any since I was a kid, and I've never given my kids their products.

I just asked my boys if they know what a Twinkie is. DS1 (9 yrs) said no and DS2 (7 yrs) said yes. I asked DS2 what they are and he said "I think they're the rubber toys that come inside of a plastic ball." :)

So Twinkies must not be popular with their friends either. When I asked if they know what Ding Dongs are, DS1 said that he thinks they're something chocolate and DS2 said no.

maestramommy
11-16-2012, 06:17 PM
It's been over 25 years since I've had a hostess product. Not really by choice. I didn't grow up eating them, either because they were too expensive, or my parents thought they were too decadent. Probably a combo of the two. I probably had a twinkie in HS, and a Ho Ho or Ding Dong in college.

baileygirl
11-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I haven't had any of the items listed, but I have had the mini muffins in the past month. I have also had Nature's Pride Bread and the little donuts in the past year.

KLD313
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I have to admit that my guilty pleasure is Hostess SnoBalls. The pink marshmallow covered chocolate cake with cream inside and coconut on the outside. I have been known to throw a single package in the cart from time to time when the kids aren't with me. They'll never know my dirty little secret. :loveeyes:

Love them. I bought the Halloween orange ones recently, a whole box and I ate them all.

ilfaith
11-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I will admit to buying a box of Yodels a few months ago because I was so excited to find they had them at my local supermarket. It can be challenging to find Drake's cakes outside the northeast. While Yodels are made by Drake's, that company was acquired by the parent company of Hostess some years ago and it looks like it too will be shutting down. I always preferred the Drake's products to those made by Hostess. Before my recent discovery of Yodels in my area, I would indulge in a pack of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls once or twice a year (usually in a weak, premenstrual moment).

I voted that I had a Hostess product in the last 1-6 months, although for an actual "Hostess" product it was more like 10 years ago, when I had an debate with my s-i-l's husband about which was the superior snack cake, the Yodel or the HoHo, and he subject me to a blind taste test of the two. The Yodel won decisively.

MamaMolly
11-16-2012, 06:40 PM
When I hosted an adult 'toys' party at my house Ding-Dongs were one of the snacks I offered. ;) I thought it went with the theme.

hellokitty
11-16-2012, 07:26 PM

I have never had a sno ball before. Am I missing out?

joonbug
11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
One of the 2 people that voted Never ate any Hostess Cake products... Just not a fan of stuff like that (love regular chocolate and DD donuts lol).

lizzywednesday
11-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't like Wonder Bread.

But I'm sure that I've eaten a pack or two of Twinkies in the last several years.

*sigh*

Honestly, the first I heard of the Hostess troubles was ... in a project I work on for our Bankruptcy treatises.

gatorsmom
11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I had a deep fried Twinkie at the Minnesota State Fair last year. I just had to try it. :D

KrisM
11-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Probably 13 years ago, before we were dating, DH and I had a Ho-ho vs Yodel and Ding-dong vs. Ring-ding comparison. He's from Boston and brought them back to Michigan for a taste-test.

wendibird22
11-16-2012, 09:32 PM
About 2.5 yr ago. I craved baked goods when pregnant.
No wonder I'm gluten intolerant!!

Pyrodjm
11-16-2012, 09:46 PM
DH has this weird nostalgia for Chocodiles. Apparently they have a connection to some happy childhood memories. A buddy of his orders few boxes online once a year and give some to DH. I tried one for the first time in September. Wasn't bad, nothing I'd crave though.

I ordered him a couple of boxes earlier today. Our anniversary is in two weeks and I'm sure he'll think it's they're best present ever.

MontrealMum
11-17-2012, 12:49 AM
I used to enjoy Twinkies from time to time. It must be over 20 yrs. since I've had one, though. I've never had any of the other products, even though my Aunt worked at the Hostess factory for a time.

DH came home with the "big news" about this tonight. Apparently it even preceded our local mayorial scandal on the talk radio! Here in Canada many American things are distributed/made by Canadian companies, so things like Wheat Thins and Oreos are distributed by Mr. Christie (IIRC). And apparently Saputo does Hostess...so radio commentators were speculating that there was a potential for a cross-border black market for Ho Hos and Twinkies :hysterical: If that's true, let me know, I'll hook you guys up :)

kijip
11-17-2012, 12:56 AM
I bought sno balls on a road trip this summer.

I have actually never had wonder bread and I haven't seen it in stores even for years and years.

bigsis
11-17-2012, 01:44 AM
I've had a Twinkie in the last 2-3 months. I don't usually like cakes and cookies, but I do love my Ding Dongs and Twinkies. :bag So once in a while I will get one from 7-11. I'm sad to hear about the company shutting down :(

roseyloxs
11-17-2012, 02:26 AM
10+ years. When DH deploys I usually indulge in this kind of snack to sulk but I tend to buy Little Debbie.

essnce629
11-17-2012, 03:29 AM
I ate PB&J sandwiches on Wonder Bread EVERY day from elementary school through middle school (or maybe even high school!). But that was 13+ years ago and I haven't had white bread since.

I think I've had a Hostess product twice in my life (during childhood). I know I've tried a Twinkie and that Hostess cup cake (chocolate thing w/ white swirl on top?)

star04
11-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I can't remember the last time I ever had a Hostess treat, but I did "buy" Wonder bread a few months ago (it was actually free with the purchase of meat or something...).

jacksmomtobe
11-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I had a ring ding while pmsing and feeling emotional in the last few months but before that it had been years and years since I had any of those types of junk food before that. It's just so hard to eat things these days that I know are so bad for me so i can never feel ok indulging in spite of the nostalgic pull.

Melaine
11-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't think ever.

s7714
11-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I loved the chocolate cupcakes as a kid and decided one day to buy myself one. Ate about two bites and had to throw it out. It tasted so waxy, artificial and sweet I couldn't stand it. That was well over a decade ago.

american_mama
11-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Zingers (raspberry outer with coconut topping) are my favorite by far. Love them. Pretty sure I bought one at a gas station this summer. I like Twinkies ok, mostly for the filling, and I like HoHos especially if you can microwave or melt the outder chocolate which has no flavor unless it's melted.

Never have eaten one of those pink snowball things - they gross me out. Don't like Ding Dongs, but have bought them because they were peanut free one year when DDs preschool was strict about that.

Don't know if I've ever had wonder bread. I like white bread a lot, but Wonder Bread seems so snyonymous with the worst of white bread. Maybe I should try it.

niccig
11-18-2012, 03:39 AM
10 yrs ago. I know for sure as it was my first visit to the USA to be with DH and he bought Twinkies and Ho Hos and pop tarts and other "must try" items at the grocery store. WAY too much sugar consumed that day. And never eaten again.

I don't even know all the product names you're using in this thread, as I don't pay attention to these products when I grocery shop.

DS has never had them.

AngelaS
11-18-2012, 09:10 AM
I said this week. Friday when I was at the store I bought Twinkies and hohos because my girls were lamenting they'd only had Twinkies once in their lives. They were right. So now they've had them twice. Lol

o_mom
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I bought my kids some Ho Hos a few months ago when the rumors of the liquidation started, so of course I had one (or two).

lizzywednesday
11-18-2012, 10:24 AM
DH has this weird nostalgia for Chocodiles. Apparently they have a connection to some happy childhood memories. A buddy of his orders few boxes online once a year and give some to DH. I tried one for the first time in September. Wasn't bad, nothing I'd crave though.

I ordered him a couple of boxes earlier today. Our anniversary is in two weeks and I'm sure he'll think it's they're best present ever.

My DH loves, loves, LOVES Chocodiles.

I'd never had one when I was a kid (my parents didn't give us snack cakes in our lunch 'til I was in high school ... and then Dad bought Little Debbie not Hostess) and couldn't understand the appeal by the time I'd met DH.

They're effectively chocolate-covered Twinkies. Good, but unless you grew up eating them, not THAT good.

dcmom2b3
11-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Hoooooo Hoooooos! (wailing) It's been 35 years since I've had one, but I will miss them nonetheless. Don't know how to quit you.