PDA

View Full Version : WWYD&Seeking info/advice/btdt-Would you consider moving to IN?

peanut520
11-16-2012, 05:58 PM
We have been going a lot in the last 4 years with 3 layoffs for DH. He has always worked for medium sized companies with the exception of right out of college. It has been tough for the industry he's in with the economy. He is being offered an opportunity to be a department head for a major financial co, but it would require relocation to its headquarters in Indianapolis. While I think this is a fantastic opportunity to get into the corporate world, I've been born and raised on the east coast (NYC and DE). We don’t have the compensation package yet, but DH sounds like he really wants to go. His family has all moved to NC, but we live 3 blocks from my parents and 2 hours from my brother (expecting baby cousin in Jan). We have also received a lot of help with dd because my parents watch her half the week and were planning to do school drop off and pick up. They love her to pieces, and I also worry about my parents as English is not their primary language plus they are getting older having to take care of their house and two rental properties. My gut is saying don’t move, but I don’t want his to pass up an opportunity in this market because who knows when the next will be. We’ve never visited the state let alone the city or know anyone from the area. I am worried about if we would be able our sell our house, knowing nothing about the city or area. Would you consider the relocation? What do you wiser ladies and gents know about the area? What is out there beside a speedway and a football stadium? Where do I start my research? Anyone gone from a lot of family help with the DC to next to none? Thanks.

o_mom
11-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Yes. I would move there. :)

PM me if you want more info on the area. We have been here for 16+ years.

ha98ed14
11-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I would. I lived in Columbus for a period of time after college, and they are very similar. It's not as "backward" as people make it out to be. And it's a lot cheaper than NYC... As for your parents, would they consider coming with you? My mom just followed my sister to Chicago so she could watch her son while she works.

Indianamom2
11-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Yep...I would and did...and what's more, I grew up in DE. All of my family are still there.

I love Indiana. I've been living here in a couple different locations since 1996. I'm not really a city girl, but I wouldn't hesistate to move to Indy because it's a really nice city. I live about 3 hours away from there now, but we have some family in central IN and we go to Indy from time to time. We're not all backwards and farmers, despite our reputation. :hysterical:

I will say that being away from helpful family is hard. The closest family we have it about 2 hours away so not really practical for day to day help. It's tough at times, but we've managed.

codex57
11-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Do you even have much of a choice?

peanut520
11-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Will do, thanks!

peanut520
11-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I would. I lived in Columbus for a period of time after college, and they are very similar. It's not as "backward" as people make it out to be. And it's a lot cheaper than NYC... As for your parents, would they consider coming with you? My mom just followed my sister to Chicago so she could watch her son while she works.

Lol. I didn't even know it was considered "backwards".

My dad is retired and mom is not so it wouldn't be an option yet plus I think they would feel the need to stick around for my brother and his family for a little while.

cvanbrunt
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I lived there for 25 years and moved to Boston last year. I'd give my left arm to go back. It's a great place to live and raise kids. And anything you can do on the East Coast you can do in Indy (except whale watch). PM if you'd like.

peanut520
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Yep...I would and did...and what's more, I grew up in DE. All of my family are still there.

I love Indiana. I've been living here in a couple different locations since 1996. I'm not really a city girl, but I wouldn't hesistate to move to Indy because it's a really nice city. I live about 3 hours away from there now, but we have some family in central IN and we go to Indy from time to time. We're not all backwards and farmers, despite our reputation. :hysterical:

I will say that being away from helpful family is hard. The closest family we have it about 2 hours away so not really practical for day to day help. It's tough at times, but we've managed.

I'm not in the city now really centrally located in the suburbs. Even 2-3 hours away is drivable for a weekend visit and it would be pretty much a 2.5 flight to visit people or visit us.

peanut520
11-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Do you even have much of a choice?

Well we don't have the compensation package yet so it may not make financial sense. It would have some relocation package and some assistance with our housing since we wont have a downpayment with the housing market here if we sold. He probably could take a much lower position here.

peanut520
11-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I lived there for 25 years and moved to Boston last year. I'd give my left arm to go back. It's a great place to live and raise kids. And anything you can do on the East Coast you can do in Indy (except whale watch). PM if you'd like.

I will as I can figure out on this app ;)

hellokitty
11-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Is your DH is fear of another lay off again? If so, I would definitely move, plus this is not a permanent move. This could open more doors for him. Maybe he will just work there for two yrs and then find an even better job and end up back on the east coast again, kwim? We just found out this wk that there is a big possibility that DH may be out of job next yr if his hospital is bought by another hospital. He's been job hunting casually for the past six months and nothing has really come up (always a crappy job market, regardless of the economy). I would like him to be able to switch to a new job before the actual threat of a lay off is at our door, so we can make our own choices, instead of being in a dire situation. Can your brother step up and look after your parents? It sounds as if you are shouldering a lot of that responsibility right now.

peanut520
11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Is your DH is fear of another lay off again? If so, I would definitely move, plus this is not a permanent move. This could open more doors for him. Maybe he will just work there for two yrs and then find an even better job and end up back on the east coast again, kwim? We just found out this wk that there is a big possibility that DH may be out of job next yr if his hospital is bought by another hospital. He's been job hunting casually for the past six months and nothing has really come up (always a crappy job market, regardless of the economy). I would like him to be able to switch to a new job before the actual threat of a lay off is at our door, so we can make our own choices, instead of being in a dire situation. Can your brother step up and look after your parents? It sounds as if you are shouldering a lot of that responsibility right now.

I think layoffs are on most people's minds and this last one has really hit dh hard since they were friends of his from way back (same people who have stiff us on 2 paychecks). And you are right it is crappy job market especially for his level of management. I am trying to stay positive and how for a great package that will take care of my financial concerns and we could move back closer to family in the near future. I am ultimately happy that he is able to get this far in the job hunt this quickly. This has really given us some hope that things will get better even if this doesn't work out.

My brother would have to help out, but he hasn't ever dealt with any of my parents issues or finances. I guess as the older sister I feel the need to take care of my mother. He does what he can and was the backbone for everyone when our grandmother was in a nursing home for 5 years with dementia (especially the last 12 months he went every night after work to feed her).

erosenst
11-16-2012, 10:13 PM
We live in the same Indy suburb as OMom and are very happy here. We've lived here 6 years and made a conscious decision to move here. We've never regretted it.

Feel free to PM (once you figure out how to do so!)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

MSWR0319
11-16-2012, 10:14 PM
We live about 3 hours from Indy and I would move there. DH is always coming up with somewhere to move and I've shot every single one of them down. If he wanted to move to Indy I'd go along with it.

peanut520
11-16-2012, 10:25 PM
We live in the same Indy suburb as OMom and are very happy here. We've lived here 6 years and made a conscious decision to move here. We've never regretted it.

Feel free to PM (once you figure out how to do so!)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. I guess I need to find out Indy :). It is the tapatalk app. I'm used to the website to pm people.

lilycat88
11-16-2012, 11:41 PM

Yeah, that. Except I've been here 24 years...since college. o_mom and I live in different areas of the city.