PDA

View Full Version : Oven Self-Clean Cycle Question

stinkyfeet
11-17-2012, 12:17 AM
I want to use the self-clean cycle on my oven. I saw a few how-to videos on you tube, and I am concerned about the 900+degree heat and smoke that it produces.

Our oven is only mildly-moderately dirty. I am pregnant and have two small kids. Should l be concerned about using the self-clean cycle when we are present in the house, or am I being over-cautious?

Thank you for any input! I have never used the self-clean cycle on an even before!

amldaley
11-17-2012, 12:24 AM
If you have a kitchen window you can open and/or fans you can run, that would be better to get some vnetilation. Unless it is filthy, it should not produce smoke. It does get stinky, though!

Then again, if it is not that dirty, I wouldn't bother cleaning it!

Either way, I think it is safer and less caustic than chemical cleaners.

bigsis
11-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Funny! I've been wondering the same thing. I've never used that function of the oven either and my oven is dirty. :bag Maybe I will give it a go this weekend.

gatorsmom
11-17-2012, 11:13 AM
PSA, when I was doing research on ovens for our new house,many sources on gardenweb and elsewhere said that many people have had trouble with their ovens after doing a self cleaning. Raising the heat in the oven to 900 degrees often causes the circuit boards to malfunction. This has reportedly happened even in the top of the line brands like Wolf and Viking. It happened to us twice with our Jennair. We had to replace the circuit board twice right after running a cleaning cycle. Ymmv

liz
11-17-2012, 01:39 PM
PSA, when I was doing research on ovens for our new house,many sources on gardenweb and elsewhere said that many people have had trouble with their ovens after doing a self cleaning. Raising the heat in the oven to 900 degrees often causes the circuit boards to malfunction. This has reportedly happened even in the top of the line brands like Wolf and Viking. It happened to us twice with our Jennair. We had to replace the circuit board twice right after running a cleaning cycle. Ymmv

Now I don't feel so bad for not ever using the self-clean mode :tongue5:

hellokitty
11-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes! Your house will be unbearably smoky! We tried our self cleaning cycle for the first time last yr when we accidentally had chicken that splattered all over the inside of the oven. I'm sure our neighbors thought that we were nut jobs having all of our main floor windows open during single digit temps!

amldaley
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Yes! Your house will be unbearably smoky! We tried our self cleaning cycle for the first time last yr when we accidentally had chicken that splattered all over the inside of the oven. I'm sure our neighbors thought that we were nut jobs having all of our main floor windows open during single digit temps!

Really????? I have used it many times in different houses and never had smoke!

hellokitty
11-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Really????? I have used it many times in different houses and never had smoke!

Well, it was a lot of oil that was burning off. I dot know how hot our cleaning cycle gets, but after two similar experiences, we will plan in advance not to do it when we are stuck inside.

amldaley
11-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, it was a lot of oil that was burning off. I dot know how hot our cleaning cycle gets, but after two similar experiences, we will plan in advance not to do it when we are stuck inside.

Yikes!!! I'll bet that was not fun!

lil_acorn
11-18-2012, 08:35 AM

this happened to us! So mad.

nfceagles
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
I would not do it at night while you're asleep or when you are away from home. We had a fire in ours. Looked over at it about 30 minutes into the cycle and it looked like a gas fireplace burning. We turned the oven off, grabbed the extinguisher, but then could NOT open the oven door because the lock won't release until temperatures drop. It ended up dying down on its own. Afterwards I googled it and it turns out that opening the door is the worst thing you can do (feeds the fire oxygen), so it was good it wouldn't open.

WatchingThemGrow
11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Holy cow. Scary stuff. Yeah, I'll pick my battles and go with Easy Off next time. I've done it both ways - and just left a spray can for the housecleaner.

Cuckoomamma
11-18-2012, 10:46 AM
I've used ours but never used the complete cycle. I'm too afraid to do it when we're out of the house but I do feel like the fumes have to be toxic. I open all the windows and start it. About an hour is all I can take of the horrible smell. I stop it and wait for the oven to cool down. Then, I just wipe away the soot inside.

I hadn't realized that the extreme heat could kill the oven...definitely not cool!

crl
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Holy cow. Scary stuff. Yeah, I'll pick my battles and go with Easy Off next time. I've done it both ways - and just left a spray can for the housecleaner.

I am pretty sure you are not supposed to use Easy Off in a self-cleaning oven.

http://www.easyoff.us/faq.shtml

I think it can ruin the coating.

Catherine

stinkyfeet
11-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all for all of the tips and imput! I think that I am going to try it now since it is a nice day here, and I can open the windows.