PDA

View Full Version : for fun: my favorite thing to smell is:

lovebebes
11-17-2012, 01:43 AM
me- little DD's head!

MMMommy
11-17-2012, 01:55 AM
The smell of fresh baked bread (like at a bakery).

Kyras mom
11-17-2012, 02:10 AM
I love the smell of alfalfa hay.

California
11-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Jasmine. In the summertime when the heat stretches into the evening and all the windows in the house are open, the breeze brings in the scent. That's home to me.

cuca_
11-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Gardenias. They remind me of my favorite Grandmother and my childhood. She had them in her backyard.

billysmommy
11-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Ds's hair after a day at the beach. Love the mix of salt, sun, sand, sunblock!

Jenn850
11-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I was going to say baby head and it was the first answer!

blisstwins
11-17-2012, 08:39 AM
lavender anything

Kymberley
11-17-2012, 08:44 AM
The way our Good Foods Co-op smells. It is an amazing mixture of herbs and fresh foods and lavender soaps... I wish my house smelled like that.

JBaxter
11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Leather LOL

BabyBearsMom
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
My DH. He has this amazing clean smell around his neck and back. Whenever I feel upset or nervous or stressed that smell calms me down.

DietCokeLover
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Gardenia. I love this smell so much.

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Coffee or chocolate chip cookies bring baked.

SnuggleBuggles
11-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Leather LOL

There's this independent shoe store that just smells amazing. I assume its all the leather. Sometimes when we are walking past, I'll let ds1 poke his head in. I'd have to say that that place is his favorite smell! We've tried other shoe stores and furniture stores without success.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-17-2012, 10:28 AM
me- little DD's head!

same here!! her neck/head when she first wakes up...i always take a huge sniff, i feel like a crack addict or something, it's like the best smell ever!!

123LuckyMom
11-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Burning leaves in the fall-- closely followed by infant milky breath, so clean and sweet.

This is a great thread!

Seitvonzu
11-17-2012, 10:40 AM
oh golly...just one?

cut grass :) i love summertime evening walks when people are mowing....takes me back to lots of different childhood memories (my nose isn't sensitive enough to differentiate the cut grass of my houston, texas elementary days vs. the cut grass of my grandparents' small town in the summer where the smell started on the rural highway into town....)

close second:
the neuhaus chocolate shop in, was it, prestonwood mall in dallas? is that still there? loved that place.

then there is suntan lotion, laudry smells coming out the vent by my front door, baby lotion, gingerbread baking (like the smell more than the taste, actually), coffee (mmmmmmmmmmmmmcoffee), and panera bread (the instant i walk into a panera bread i feel nice and relaxed....it was my "zen place" during DD's infancy)

my dd and i were just talking about how my grandma can't smell. DD thought this would be worse than not being about to hear! ;)

hellokitty
11-17-2012, 10:47 AM
What is it with babies' heads? They smell sooo good! I love smelling DS3's head, but he is 3 and won't be a baby for much longer before getting stinky, sweat smell instead.

Even though I have allergies, I love the smell of fresh cut grass.

I love the smell of Bath and Bodyworks, "fresh linen," candle. I have no clue if they still make this or not.

I also love the smell of grapefruit and pomelo (if you like grapefruit, you will love pomelo, try it, I like to keep the rinds around just to sniff them!). Gap (used to?) have a scent called, "so pink," and it's a grapefruit scent. It is so refreshing to put it on and I'd always get compliments.

OK, and this sounds weird, but I like the smell of DH. It must be those pheromones that attracted me to him to begin with. Weirdly, koreans (dh is korean) have the least amt of scent than any other ethnicity. He thinks I'm crazy, but then again there is a reason why my nn when I was a kid used to be, "dog nose." Sometimes I think I should have gone into the smelling industry, but then again, I hate most perfumes, they are nasty!

lizzywednesday
11-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Ivory soap. It reminds me of being a little kid at my mom's mom's house.

She still uses Ivory soap in her bathroom.

While my grandmother and I don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, and we had a fairly strained relationship for many years, I know she loves me very much, so the smell of Ivory soap is very comforting.

The smell of Grandma's halubke cooking is a close second, so I'd better make some time to learn how she makes it - it's not like the recipe is complicated, it's that she makes it her own way and that's what makes it taste so good.

DrSally
11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Cinnamon rolls ( think cinnabon). Lilacs.

Corie
11-17-2012, 11:28 AM
My all time favorite smell:

Mimeograph copies

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa274/jellybellysmama/199143614742910244_zL5I4Ogf_c.jpg

A close second:

Old library books

speo
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
The forest. Wind in pine needles is also my very favorite sound.

mackmama
11-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Pine trees when back deep in the woods

gatorsmom
11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Stargazers lilies. My favorite flower.

KLD313
11-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Coconut, leather and wood. I like the smell of the lumber dept. In Home Depot, strange I know.

BDKmom
11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
I love the smell of the airport. I don't know how to describe it, but when I walk in I always take a deep breath. I associate it with the excitement of going somewhere. Doesn't matter if it is for business or pleasure, it gives me the same sense of anticipation.

trcy
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
The smell of fresh baked bread (like at a bakery).

Coffee or chocolate chip cookies bring baked. For me, all 3 of these are a tie.

bisous
11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
The hills around my house smell amazing. I think it is the wild sage. There is just nothing like it.

bigsis
11-17-2012, 02:35 PM
I can't believe I'm the only piggly-wiggly who's going to say this:
BACON!!!!

Also:

Old library books
I thought I was the only one. I told a few ppl this (we were all 17 at the time) and they all looked at me funny. Again, we were all 17yo at the time.

lovebebes
11-17-2012, 03:20 PM
The hills around my house smell amazing. I think it is the wild sage. There is just nothing like it.

that sounds heavenly.

hellokitty
11-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention I love the smell of watermelon! As you can tell, I lean toward non-flowery scents. This sounds weird but I like the smell I hardwood floors too. I don't know how to describe it. However, after we have been away from he for a few days, when we get home, the first thing I smell are the floors. Just a clean, fresh smell. We clean them with a vinegar solution, so there is no scent from the cleaner.

anamika
11-17-2012, 05:17 PM
The earth after a rainshower in summer (mun vasanai in Tamil) - it takes me back to India. Funnily enough the smell is the same here!

queenmama
11-17-2012, 05:24 PM
My kids, absolutely. Not when they're fresh and clean, but their "natural" scent. And yes, milky baby breath is divine.

Also love freshly cut grass, honeysuckle, bakeries, puppy breath, anything citrus, leaves burning...

ETA: Jergens cherry almond is my grandmother, so every time I smell it I think of and miss her. And I agree that old books smell wonderful!

Lara

StantonHyde
11-17-2012, 05:54 PM
A horse's neck. It is warm and smells of hay, sweat and dust. It instantly brings me home and reminds me of all things good--animal and human.

But then there is puppy breath--oh my, is there a sweeter smell in the universe? I once read a quote from a veterinarian that said he was happy to retire, but that he would always miss the smell of puppy breath :love-retry:

And the smell of the third hay cutting. Not the first or second--the third. Much sweeter. Especially first thing in the morning.

StantonHyde
11-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Sage covered hills after a rain shower. ahhh......

Penny's Pappa
11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Coffee brewing
Fresh-cut red cedar
Bacon

----------
Sent from the aether using Tapatalk.

Mopey
11-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Old library books

Totally :yeahthat:!!!

Also, my best-selling sugar cookies, my ridiculously strong coffee, Rigaud Green candles and ocean air :)

I had a good friend in college who LOVED the smell of skunk :ROTFLMAO: She would literally roll down the car windows if there was skunk smell on the air!!! :hysterical:

s7714
11-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Roses! Second favorite is the after shave my dad used to wear. I think it was Old English? Every once in a while I'll encounter a (older) guy wearing it and I try not to be too obvious in inhaling a deep nose full!

Clarity
11-18-2012, 12:10 AM
A horse's neck. It is warm and smells of hay, sweat and dust.

I never had horses but I was a horse crazy country girl and I agree with this. It's oddly compelling. I was petting one recently and marveling at that familar smell and that I hadn't forgotten it years later.

But my very favorite smell has got to be the fresh snapped smell of a bunch of cilantro. Its just so fresh and bright!

todzwife
11-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Rain on the concrete! Growing up in Arizona, we didn't get a lot of rain but the monsoons would bring pouring rain in the summer and it smelled so good.

Rain in the forest is also my favorite :D

sweetsue98
11-18-2012, 12:34 AM
My kids, absolutely. Not when they're fresh and clean, but their "natural" scent. And yes, milky baby breath is divine.

Also love freshly cut grass, honeysuckle, bakeries, puppy breath, anything citrus, leaves burning...

ETA: Jergens cherry almond is my grandmother, so every time I smell it I think of and miss her. And I agree that old books smell wonderful!

Lara

I agree baby breath! Weird I know!