PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, what did I do?

glbb35
11-17-2012, 11:02 AM
I can't believe what I did. After not having my hair cut for 9 months, yes it was nine months. In my defense I didn't realize that much time had gone by. But I went in and the stylist said that it was time to "be bold". I think she was talking about how I am in my 40's now and have long hair. She suggested cutting it to my shoulders or slightly lower to give it lift as it was horribly heavy and to give my face some life (i.e. be more age appropriate). I actually like my hair dresser. She has always cut it well. So being a little caught off guard and super tired (I had a night appointment that I was able to squeeze in last minute and get the last appt of the day) so I said right before we went to shampoo, "I trust you to do what is right".

What was I thinking? My hair is short! AHHH, short!!!! Ahhh!!!! It is well above shoulder length and I can't get it to do a thing. I am one of those hair idiots and cannot style it to save my life. Now I know in the scheme of all that is happening in the world this is a petty thing but now I am in tears. My hair takes forever to grow and the day after I got it cut we got our college reunion notices that are coming up in the spring. Are you kidding me? Next week for Thanksgiving we are going to a family reunion where there is going to be 50 people there and I look not like me!

What did I do? I just keep trying to tell myself it is hair. Hair! But thenI look in the mirror and feel fat and ugly. Oh Lord, please make my hair grow fast!

Ugh.

B

DS 03, 06, twins 09, 11 Worst part, DH hasn't even noticed! That or he hates it and is keeping quiet. :(

DrSally
11-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Hair grows fast. Seriously. Also, you may grow to like it after you get used to it a bit. I would go back to your stylist and ask her to show you how to style it. So, it's just anove shoulder length? Are there layers? Bangs? Give us an idea of what it looks like?

hillview
11-17-2012, 12:18 PM
hair grows! you will get used to it! It is easier to manage/dry? Wash it and maybe restyle it?
HUGS

mytwosons
11-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm so sorry!

If it were me, I would start taking prenatal vitamins to speed up the growth.

California
11-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Thought the same thing- try prenatal vitamins! So sorry you got a cut you are not happy about. If she's a hairstylist you trust then she probably will be happy to help you figure out how to style it. She'd much prefer that than to lose you as a client!

Youtube has a ton of how-to videos. If you need a visual (like I do) and to watch something a few times to really learn how to do it, it's a fantastic resource. Type in "how to style a bob" (or whatever length you have) and I bet a ton of videos will pop up. It's where I learned how to do a fishtail when my DD asked me to do one in her hair.

Indianamom2
11-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Aww....I've totally been there/done that too many times to count (you'd think I'd learn). It will grow back and in the meantime, if you give it a few days and experiment a little, you might find that it's not as bad as you think.

:hug:I'm sorry.

liz
11-17-2012, 01:47 PM
I am sorry, I too have BTDT. Give yourself some time to accept your new haircut and look up some videos on Youtube like PP mentioned. Hopefully you will learn to like it soon enough :hug:

Also, before your reunion make an appointment to get a blowout and hair styled by a professional. That way you won't have to stress about it.

Thatchermom
11-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Though my hair was not as long I can relate. Two weeks ago I was the first appt. after my stylist returned from grieving her mom's sudden death. She is usually fantastic, but was way off this time. I went from below my shoulders to a very unexpected bob. Shocking to me and DH. Not sure who was more upset!

I have gotten more used to it - the shock every time I see my reflection is lessening. And then there was this: we were on vacation immediately after. Just this week I returned to regular life and people I knew started seeing it. I have gotten compliments using words I've never been described with before. And that has felt amazing! It is too short, but it is also a great cut and I am learning to manage it.

So sorry for your disappointment! Definitely go back for styling help. One other thing that helped me was a little shopping therapy- I chose a couple of sweaters with larger, interesting collars/necklines that would have made me crazy with my longer hair as a short hair "bonus." Something to try!

Mopey
11-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm so sorry OP! I've done this before and swore never to go when bored. I also just got my hair cut for the first time since February and while it's not too short, it is too layered. It happens.

I am also not a hair doer. Here is a trick to encourage growth - kind of like tapping your fingernails on a hard surface:

Run your fingers through your hair at the scalp. But before you go through the length, grip your hair between your fingers and in your fist near the scalp and squeeze - not too hard but not too lightly. Basically pulling hair. You should feel it but not hurt. This stimulates the follicle and can help speed up growth. It's worked for me a few times.

In the meantime realize you may like it more in a week when it's settled. And that it WILL eventually grow back. Big :grouphug: to you.

DrSally
11-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Also, with shorter, piecier hair, using a creamier product, like a styling wax or pomade, can help it behave. My hair is thick/ wavy, and gets puffy when it gets shorter.

queenmama
11-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I am going through this as well, except I thought about it for months and asked for it on purpose!

My hair was almost to my waist and I had 8" cut the day I went to the hospital to have DD. That was fine, I loved it, it was still really long and I had plenty of options for styling.

Then the PP hormones kicked in when DD was a couple months old and I started shedding like crazy... You've all been there, you know what it's like. Well, I was SICK OF IT and decided to chop it. All of it. It was almost exactly 12". I got it cut like Sienna Miller in Factory Girl (Edie Sedgwick movie). I loved it at first. LOVED. It was a lot easier with DD, I didn't have to worry about it getting in the way or wrapping around her fingers... And I've always felt like short hair is more stylish and cute, and this was the longest I'd let it grow in about 10 years. But I like having the options with longer hair. I can't do anything much with it this short so I'm getting bored. It does grow super fast, so I'll just have to be patient!

OP, I think your hair should grow to a nice length by spring, so don't fret too much about the reunion!

Lara