PDA

View Full Version : Can someone compare Magnatiles & Magformers?

Reader
11-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Are the sizes about the same? Can they be used together? We have lots of Magnatiles (they are my 3 year old's favorite toy), and I was considering adding Magformers.

ett
11-17-2012, 12:29 PM
They're not the same size and are not compatible with each other. You can build things with the magformers that can be picked up, which you can't with the magnatiles.

Reader
11-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Are the Magformers too small for a 3 year old? Can you tell me what the dimensions of a triangle or a hexagon, for example, are because I cannot find that on the website or Amazon?

roseyloxs
11-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I prefer magformers for the stronger magnets. This allows for the built objects to be picked up and carried around as the PP said. DS's favorite past time is to build rocket ships and fly them around the house with his magformers.

Are the Magformers too small for a 3 year old? Can you tell me what the dimensions of a triangle or a hexagon, for example, are because I cannot find that on the website or Amazon?

No they are not too small for a 3 year old. I have a 5 and 3 year old and both use them everyday. The square is about 2.5"x2.5". The square in the super set (http://www.amazon.com/Super-Magformers-Magnetic-Building-Construction/dp/B002T5TI98) is 5"x5".

vonfirmath
11-17-2012, 05:35 PM

We only have Magformers. Only my 5 year old builds with them (he got them at 4 years old so no experience at age 3). But my 15 month old likes carrying them around, both one in each hand and in little stacks. ANd I have no concern about that.

baileygirl
11-17-2012, 08:26 PM
For us the magformers have been a huge bust to the extent the kids suggested we donate them. The kids LOVE their Magnatiles (we have 200 and are getting 2 more sets at Christmas), and will only use Magformers as decorations for their Magnatiles creations once their run out of pieces. As far as I can tell the reason they don't like Magformers is the open center. They like building tall towers (and hiding stuff in the towers), making hexbug mazes, etc, which they can't do with the Magformers. I do get that some kids like Magformers better (like you can lay pieces flat and pull up and make a cube), it just hasn't worked that way for us.

carolinamama
11-17-2012, 09:25 PM
For us the magformers have been a huge bust to the extent the kids suggested we donate them. The kids LOVE their Magnatiles (we have 200 and are getting 2 more sets at Christmas), and will only use Magformers as decorations for their Magnatiles creations once their run out of pieces. As far as I can tell the reason they don't like Magformers is the open center. They like building tall towers (and hiding stuff in the towers), making hexbug mazes, etc, which they can't do with the Magformers. I do get that some kids like Magformers better (like you can lay pieces flat and pull up and make a cube), it just hasn't worked that way for us.

I was wondering if my kids were the only ones who didn't play with our magformers but have spent hours and hours with our magnatiles. I keep the magformers in the same bin and no one ever touches them.

baileygirl
11-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Ours are in the same bin too...