PDA

View Full Version : Which babysitter?

niccig
11-18-2012, 12:28 AM
I've needed a babysitter (V) to get DS from school 2 days a week. She won't be available next semester and I'll need someone to bring DS home from after care one day a week for 12 weeks. DH will be home at 8pm or later (we never know when he's home). I'll be home by 10pm.

1. Regular babysitter's sister, T. Has sat for us before, covered a few nights when her sister wasn't available and picked DS up from aftercare. She works 20 mins away (in LA, so it's not far away) and said she could arrange to leave work at 5.30pm to get him from aftercare by 6pm. She's done this twice and got DS w/o any trouble.

2. Teacher at school, B. She brought DS home a couple of times when I knew regular babysitter wasn't available. She can get him earlier from aftercare, so 5pm or so. She's $3 more an hour. I make sure my house is really tidy on her days and it's not so tidy for the other babysitters (dishes in sink for eg).

I'm worried about T getting to DS on time. DS just told me that V has been 5 mins late a couple of times for pick-up and he had to go to the school's office. I've been late once or twice to get him myself, so I understand it happens. No one has told me V has been late, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the school and she's only getting him 2 more times. But if I use T next semester, she will be picking him up from After care and they charge $1 a minute and it goes on my bill. T did get him twice on time, but this is LA and traffic, well you just never know. B would cost $3 more per hour and would get DS earlier so he would be home earlier, but I'll be paying her for more time than T. And I would be making sure my house is tidy. But she's already at school, so not like she'll be late getting him.

WWYD?

crl
11-18-2012, 12:42 AM
I would go with B, the teacher. I would be quite worried about the possibility of T being unavoidably late. But my anxious ds would be very upset by that so I may be overly concerned about it.

Catherine

marit
11-18-2012, 12:54 AM
If you can afford the $3 extra I would go with the teacher. And stop cleaning your house for her. She's not the pope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PZMommy
11-18-2012, 01:47 AM
I'd go with the teacher. With LA traffic, I'd be concerned about DS getting picked up on time.

niccig
11-18-2012, 01:55 AM
If you can afford the $3 extra I would go with the teacher. And stop cleaning your house for her. She's not the pope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:rotflmao: at the pope line. I normally pick up for the babysitters, just a general quick pick up, but I do a little more for the teacher. I know I need to get over it.

niccig
11-18-2012, 01:56 AM
I'd go with the teacher. With LA traffic, I'd be concerned about DS getting picked up on time.

T has to drive from about where my house is to DS's school and if it was me getting him, I would give myself 30 mins. Only time it was an issue was when it was raining as traffic is a nightmare then.

I am though leaning to the teacher. I'll have to first see if she even wants to do it. Doing the occasional pick-up is different from every week.

trcy
11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
I would also go with the teacher if you can afford the extra $3/hour.

ETA: Don't worry about doing the extra cleaning with her :)

kijip
11-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I am surprised the private school lets teachers work for families outside of school. That is usually strictly prohibited here. It sounds ideal though and never any chance of being late. So I would go with that one.