PDA

View Full Version : HELP! What do I do with a vomiting 5.5 month old?

BDKmom
11-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Our first stomach virus with vomiting is making its rounds at our place and I have no idea what to do with the baby. DH started yesterday around noon, DS about 9 PM last night. When the baby woke up at 6:30, I brought her into my bed to nurse. She nursed for about 3 minutes, then promptly puked it all up.

What do I do now? Wait a while? Give her Pedialyte? This is my first round with this and I know I'm due to start up with it any minute. Any advice would be appreciated.

JBaxter
11-18-2012, 08:20 AM
I would just wait before giving anything. See how she is a a little bit maybe try to offer the breast again and see how she does. Breast milk is better than pedialyte anyway and she will probably puke the pedialyte anyway.

BDKmom
11-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks. She doesnt seem to be uncomfortable. She is playing and smiling. I guess I'll try again in a little bit and see what happens.

Philly Mom
11-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Nursing is best at that age. If she continues to puke, I would call the Peds to find out what dehydration would look like.

TwinFoxes
11-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Nursing is best at that age. If she continues to puke, I would call the Peds to find out what dehydration would look like.

:yeahthat: Dehydration can happen quickly at that age. Don't wait for symptoms before you call. Call and ask what to look for, and what to do if she starts becoming dehydrated before it happens.

MommyAllison
11-18-2012, 11:22 AM
We had a stomach virus hit every member of our family when dd2 was about that age, and she got the mildest version by far. Threw up twice in 45 minutes and then was fine, no yucky diapers or anything. I tried to give her stomach a break by waiting an hour after she threw up to nurse, and it seemed to work. Hope you have a similar experience, and that you don't get sick!

MamaInMarch
11-18-2012, 11:34 AM
You could also express a little and let her sip it by spoonfuls every few minutes.

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-illness/