PDA

View Full Version : Question about cloth diaper brands

Jupiter
11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
I was looking at BRU and saw a band called CoCaLo. They are on clearance, does anyone have experience with this brand?

Also thoughts on pre folds from BRU or Gerber? A better inexpensive brand?

And while we are on cloth diapers, thoughts on flush able insert?

lizzywednesday
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
No experience with CoCaLo diapers. I think the reason most cloth diapers might be on clearance at a place like BRU is ... the typical BRU shopper isn't interested in cloth diapering.

The Gerber prefolds are best for ... cleaning up spit-up in the newborn phase and pee accidents while potty learning. I only used them a couple of times as a diaper doubler in an all-in-one and they hold stink like you wouldn't believe! I wouldn't use them for an actual diaper. Of course, this is my experience and opinion, so others may vary.

The other drawback to Gerber is I've never seen them in multiple sizes, which you will need as your baby grows. They are also thinner & more pilled than my GMD prefold stash, so I'm not sure how practical they'd be.

Honestly, the most economical option for me was prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers (a.k.a. GMD prefolds) by ClothEeze: http://greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm

As for inserts ... people have had issues with, say, gDiapers flushable inserts clogging their pipes even when they followed all the instructions.

I would be cautious about using disposable inserts, especially if you have older plumbing and/or septic rather than a newer system and sewer.

I'd do liners instead; we use the ImseVimse brand in their "toddler" size, but one of the biggest complaints about those is that they are stiff and kind of scratchy (which is true) but ... they hold quite a lot of waste, so I find them to be worth the scratchiness.

edurnemk
11-19-2012, 11:19 AM
No experience with that brand. As far as PF's avoid Gerber, those are really just good as burp cloths, LOL. I use and liked Green Mountain Diapers PF's and Imagine PF's.

I like the Imse Vimse and Bummis flushable liners. Bummis are softer IIRC

ETA I misread your OP, for insersts I've only used gDiapers, I like them but can cause plumbing issues if you have old plumbing.

mikala
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I agree with pp to avoid Gerber.

Green Mountain is great, same with Nicki's diapers. Both websites have a ton of info and Nicki's has a trial program. Jillians drawers also has a trial program.

I like bumgenius flip covers or Thirties wraps with pre folds. I also love Fuzzibunz pockets but they are more expensive than pre folds.

I'd start small and build your stash as your baby grows and you figure out what works best for your baby and your lifestyle.

You can also save cash by using cloth wipes.

edurnemk
11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
BTW if you're looking for CD deals, BRU won't have much options. Many small stores have coupons and will probably have a Thanksgiving / BF sale. I loved using a trial program before committing to a brand. For example, it let me see that Fuzzibinz didn't fit DS well and leaked, but Bumgenius fit great (DD is a different story)