PDA

View Full Version : 12 month old small baby refusing to eat anything. plz help

diamond
11-18-2012, 01:05 PM
My 12 month old son has a runny nose from 3_4 days and he is absolutely refusing to eat anything. I have tried jar food, cheese, fruit poured, oatmeal,et .he does not want to eat anything. Wven his favorite. Just breastfeed. I'm not sure how much he's getting of bm and I'm really worried about his weight. He is already A tiny baby not even on the chart, barely 17.5 pounds at his 1 year apt and a we have to monitor his weight every month.I'm worried that he will lose more weight. Please help.tyty

TwinFoxes
11-18-2012, 01:33 PM
My ped told me when DDs got a bad cold at around 11 mos that they probably would only want to BF for a a day or two. They were underweight too (preemies) but there wasn't much we could do about it. Their appetites came back pretty quickly IIRC.

echoesofspring
11-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Will he take a bottle? If so you might also try some chix broth/thin soup in it.

Jacksmommy2b
11-18-2012, 02:53 PM
My kids have always been really tiny so I really feel for you. (j is 6.5 and still doesn't weigh 40lbs)

Whenever they got sick it was the same way, no interest in anything but nursing. Just think of it this way, at least with the BM you know he is still getting nutrition as well as hydration. I would let him nurse as much as you can and I'll bet his appetite will come back with a vengeance when the cold passes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

rin
11-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Will he take a bottle? If so you might also try some chix broth/thin soup in it.

Honestly BM is probably more calorie-rich than chicken broth, so I'd really just do as much nursing as he wants.

DD1 got RSV last winter, and lost 2 lbs (she was 24.5 lbs at almost 2, so also pretty tiny). It was scary; she wouldn't eat really for almost a week and was just nursing, same deal. When her appetite returned, though, she regained all that weight quickly. We also tried tempting her with all her favorites, etc, and she didn't want anything to do with any of it. I think you kind of just have to ride out the sickness and wait until the appetite returns.

diamond
11-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Ty for those who replied. Will do my best and nurse him often.makes me feel better.ty

georgiegirl
11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Just keep nursing him and offer food. Eventually he will eat. My dd was tiny at 1 (less than 17 lbs) and wasn't interested in food until she was 20 months. She'd eat a few bites here, some there, but nothing near what I would consider typical for toddlers. She had a huge growth spurt 20-24 months.

So long as he's nursing frequently and meeting his milestones (and happy), I wouldn't worry too much.