PDA

View Full Version : ISO a 3-4 day vacation spot within driving distance from Washington, DC?

PMJ
11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
We are looking for a vacation spot (to drive to) that is family friendly for 3-4 days. It must be within driving distance from Wash DC and we don't want to drive but 4 hrs max. Any recommendations?

We are not really skiing or camping people (fwiw).

thanks

Pyrodjm
11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Check out Massanutten resort in Virginia. We don't ski either, but we have a great time. The indoor waterpark is lots of fun. It has all of the resort type amenities like indoor and outdoor pools, gyms, game room, arts and craft classes, restaurants, etc. Outdoor activities like ice skating, mini golf and tubing. We get a room with a full kitchen a stiock it at either the nearby supermarket or Walmart to feed our super picky eater.

My family loves it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I like Deep Creek, MD but I'm happy to just chill in the house (with a hot tub) for a relaxing weekend and I don't need stuff to do. There is skiing, hiking, boating, a great nature center, shopping, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house (45 minutes away)...

Baltimore?
VA beach
Hershey

SASM
11-18-2012, 08:36 PM
This time of year? Williamsburg VA has several resorts including Great Wolf Lodge. We stayed somewhere with 3BRs, an indoor pool and hot tub. We would easily go to the Outer Banks as well. Obviously, cannot swim but the prices should be reasonable and the beach is always awesome. :)

ETA: This is where we stayed in Wburg: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g58313-d239952-Reviews-Greensprings_Plantation-Williamsburg_Virginia.html By looking at the photos, I've determined that we stayed in a 2nd floor condo that was not refurbished...it was fine. It was clean, which is huge for me. The kitchen was nicely equipped, the pool was quite large, and the rented out movies in the clubhouse. We stayed there in March and found plenty to do in Wburg, however, we were also checking out the area as a potential relocation spot so the location of the resort was fine for us. Not sure if you want something more centrally located. We were fine with a little drive. Ohhh...Hanna Andersson Outlet, too. ;) One negative...LOTS of chain restaurants if you do not want to cook.

bostonsmama
11-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Lexington, VA! It's my favorite place to visit...ever! We almost bought property there (but then realized that even if we rented it, we'd have to spend $1,500/yr vacationing just to cover the taxes and insurance of breaking even)

It's home to VMI, Washington & Lee University, Robert E Lee's house, near Lurray Caverns, my favorite Wade's Mill flour mill and kitchen shop (recently featured in Cooking Light's best chefs highlight) in Raphine, VA...plus a pretty neat winery there (Rockbridge). If you tire of museums, history and just looking at the gorgeous mountain scenery, you can take in the quaint shops along the main street. I got some great art for DD's bedroom there.

Look at VRBO.com to see if any houses are for rent near there. The nicest place we could find was a bit of a drive. We usually stay at Brierley Hill Inn www.brierleyhill.com, but they have a strict no kids under 13 policy, so I think we stayed at the Hampton Inn last time--gorgeous and a historical house.

LD92599
11-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Hershey or lancaster
Woodloch pines in pa for a resort on land

vludmilla
11-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Easton or St. Michael's, Maryland

ilfaith
11-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Lexington, VA! It's my favorite place to visit...ever! We almost bought property there (but then realized that even if we rented it, we'd have to spend $1,500/yr vacationing just to cover the taxes and insurance of breaking even)

It's home to VMI, Washington & Lee University, Robert E Lee's house, near Lurray Caverns, my favorite Wade's Mill flour mill and kitchen shop (recently featured in Cooking Light's best chefs highlight) in Raphine, VA...plus a pretty neat winery there (Rockbridge). If you tire of museums, history and just looking at the gorgeous mountain scenery, you can take in the quaint shops along the main street. I got some great art for DD's bedroom there.

Look at VRBO.com to see if any houses are for rent near there. The nicest place we could find was a bit of a drive. We usually stay at Brierley Hill Inn www.brierleyhill.com, but they have a strict no kids under 13 policy, so I think we stayed at the Hampton Inn last time--gorgeous and a historical house.

I love Lexington, VA. We visited friends who were living there while the wife was in law school at Washington & Lee, and DH and I fell in love with the place. There was an ice cream shop for sale in town and we spent our entire drive home imagining buying it and dreaming up ice cream flavors we would create to sell.

Jen841
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
NYC?
Philly?
Poconos?
Lancaster? - lots for kids
Hershey? - close to Lancaster
Hyatt Chesapeake Bay? - my kids love it here!
Omni Bedford Springs Resort?

StantonHyde
11-19-2012, 12:08 AM
Brandywine Valley, Bucks County Pa, Ocean City NJ, Cape May NJ, Rehobeth Beach DE,

123LuckyMom
11-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Before you make a plan, consider damage from Sandy. I think NJ beach towns will be devastated for some while still!

ljackson
11-19-2012, 06:58 AM
I like Deep Creek, MD but I'm happy to just chill in the house (with a hot tub) for a relaxing weekend and I don't need stuff to do. There is skiing, hiking, boating, a great nature center, shopping, Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater house (45 minutes away)...

I like Deep Creek a lot too. Fallingwater is great but IIRC you can't take a child under 6 into the house. We went with my inlaws and went in the house two at a time to swap out and look after DD, which worked fine.