PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl flooring?

soontobe
11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi ladies,
So we have a while tile floor going from our front door, down the hallway and in the kitchen. It is making us crazy cause it looks dirty so fast!!! We don't really have money to replace it just for esthetic reasons, so I have thinking of viynl. Anyone have any experience with it? Does it look cheep? Will it make our home harder to sell in 4-5yrs?

Thanks so much!!!!

lhafer
11-19-2012, 01:48 AM
I pulled up carpet we had in our formal dining room and put down the vinyl planks that look like wood. I thought they looked great. Easy to install myself, pretty much maintainence free. Easy to clean and care for. When I sold my house, it was not a deterrent for buyers. We had carpet and ceramic tile in the rest of the house.

roseyloxs
11-19-2012, 03:16 AM
As a buyer vinyl planks are probably the only vinyl I might prefer over ceramic tile. I feel your pain on the tile though. Our rental has ceramic tile throughout our main living space. I despise it.

soontobe
11-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the replies! what are vinyl planks? I have only read about vinyl sheets and tiles...?

Also I also read that is gives off really bad emissions after it is installed? From the PVC? Any thoughts on that??

Thanks!!!!

MSWR0319
11-19-2012, 08:50 AM
We have the vinyl planks and also some tiles called Duraceramic, though I think those are a bit pricier. I'd never get ceramic after having both of these floors. The vinyl planks aren't the vinyl like the sheet vinyl. Let me see if I an fin a link to the ones we have. We had no odor issues with ours and we've had it installed on the first floor and just recently in the basement.

Nyfeara
11-19-2012, 08:54 AM
The flooring places near us always call it "luxury vinyl tile" or LVT. Mannington, Armstrong, and Congoleum all make a version of it (I think this is what the other posters are talking about). We were looking at replacing our traditional sheet vinyl with some of this flooring. I think it's a mix of limestone & vinyl and comes in either tile form (to simulate tile flooring) or planks (to simulate wood flooring). The prices near us varied from $2.79-$5 per sq ft. It seems like a good option for kitchen and bathrooms. The tile version can be laid with or without grout. HTH!

lhafer
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I was on my ipad before so didn't have access to some pictures. I can't remember which actual company I went with when I did this floor in my old house. But here a company with the kind of planks I used: http://www.konectousa.com/installation-guide.html#

Here is the formal dining room that had carpet turned playroom with vinyl plank flooring. Took me one day to rip the carpet and nail boards out and lay down a leveling agent in some places (I have concrete subflooring). Another day to layout the flooring and put it down. So a 2 day project. Tearing up tile will take a lot longer. In the last picture, I hadn't put in the transition piece between the tile and vinyl flooring yet.

2665 2666 2667 2668 2669

MSWR0319
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
The flooring places near us always call it "luxury vinyl tile" or LVT. Mannington, Armstrong, and Congoleum all make a version of it (I think this is what the other posters are talking about). We were looking at replacing our traditional sheet vinyl with some of this flooring. I think it's a mix of limestone & vinyl and comes in either tile form (to simulate tile flooring) or planks (to simulate wood flooring). The prices near us varied from $2.79-$5 per sq ft. It seems like a good option for kitchen and bathrooms. The tile version can be laid with or without grout. HTH!

Yes! We have the Congoleum Duraceramic tiles in our kitchen and bathrooms and one of our planks is Mannington. Not sure what the stuff is in the basement but it's the newest stuff. I'll try to post pictures later.

hellokitty
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I know that vinyl flooring has a negative aesthetic stigma, but I seriously hate tile, grout is my enemy. We replaced our fugly 80's looking vinyl in Sept. We went high end, this stuff looks like tile, and cost more than HW floor, but I love it, it's so low maintenance. There are so many cool options now, you will be surprised.

Lhafer, I am so impressed by how handy you are and your dining room looks awesome! If we didn't already have HW floors in our kitchen, I would consider the HW plank vinyl. Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I was a little shocked at how much our higher end vinyl ended up being (and we could have gone with a vinyl HW too, but we have dark woods in our house and needed something to brighten up the floors)?

applebutter
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
We just laid vinyl plans over our ugly sheet vinyl in the kitchen/dining room, and LOVE it! It looks so nice, easy to clean, soft under foot, not cold, and a breeze to install.

hellokitty
11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
We just laid vinyl plans over our ugly sheet vinyl in the kitchen/dining room, and LOVE it! It looks so nice, easy to clean, soft under foot, not cold, and a breeze to install.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I hate the feeling of cold tile on bare feet, so this is another reason why I refused to do tile in our upstairs bathrooms.

soontobe
11-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone! We like the stone look- so I don't think we could do the planking... Vinyl can be put on top of the ceramic tiles ibhave now right?

hellokitty
11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks everyone! We like the stone look- so I don't think we could do the planking... Vinyl can be put on top of the ceramic tiles ibhave now right?

I know that vinyl can go on top of old vinyl flooring, but I'm not sure about going over ceramic. Call a local flooring place and they should be able to tell you over the phone. Don't forget that the floor will raise even more if you put another layer on top of a layer. We actually had to get our doors trimmed when we had the vinyl put on top of the original vinyl. Vinyl is thinner than tile, so I'd imagine that putting a layer on top of tile may cause your floor to raise up quite a bit.

crl
11-20-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't think you can lay vinyl over tile. The grout lines below will show through. You need a flat surface.

Catherine

katydid1971
11-20-2012, 12:28 PM
I HATE HATE HATE the vinyl we have in our kitchen. It has so many scratches it looks dirty even if I wash it on my hands and knees. I will never put vinyl into my house again. We are going to replace the vinyl in the kids bathroom with marmolium.