PDA

View Full Version : Any PTs? Or with knowledge of sacro-iliac jt pain?

JenaW
11-18-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm currently 33 weeks preg with #7 and having significant sacro-iliac jt pain. At least I think that's what it is - right in that little dimpled area on my lower back. It's only one sided (left) and I wonder if it is related to carrying 25lb DS on my left hip? It's significantly worse if I lay flat (ie in bed or on the couch) for any period of time. After that, I can barely move because of significant pain in that spot. I'm worried about laboring and pushing this baby out in a few weeks. I was fairly active (elliptical, bike trainer) up until a week ago when my OB put me on restricted activity bc of contrax and increasing blood pressure. I'm wondering if there are any stretches or exercise or yoga poses that would help?

karstmama
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
i have the same pain sometimes, and use a chiropractor when it flares. if you have a chiropractor, s/he should be able to modify what needs doing to you around positions you can't get into (like lying on your tummy). some even have tables with belly cut-outs. ditto for getting a therapeutic massage - the therapist should be able to help you with you on your side, or perhaps have a cut out table.

but if you can't get that done, the exercises i've been told to do should be safe. while on your back (which is fine for a few minutes) or with a rolled towel or thin pillow under one butt cheek, cross one foot over your other knee and let the leg flop into the shape of a 4. well, an upside down 4. now bring your knee closer to your chest with your foot still on it. bring it up until you feel the stretch, hold a bit, and let it down. do it on the other side.

i hope you get some relief. tylenol is safe, but not particularly good for muscle ache type pain.

Melbel
11-18-2012, 08:49 PM
The SI joint and facet joint are in close proximity. I have issues with both joints, predominantly on the left side. I have also found the stretch described kartsmama helpful, but without the pillow/towel. The name of the stretch is piriformis stretch, and you can google for images and videos.

karstmama
11-18-2012, 09:25 PM
thanks for that, melbel - i bet it would be easier to do after you see it instead of read about it! :D

the pillow or towel would only be if she felt unhappy about being on her back. it really is safe as long as it's for several minutes as opposed to all night long, but adding a tilt ends the worry about it.

babybunny
11-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I have had huge issues with this in the past. Those stretches are good. I used to have an issue of knocking it out of joint. I would have no problem sitting, but standing was terribly painful. You can also try two things while lying in your back. (you will need a partner for both) Have some one gently pull a leg away from your body by pulling on your ankle, one at a time. Also, bend your knees ,and while placing your feet on the floor, have a partner put their forearm from the palm to the elbow between your knees. Try to squeeze your knees together.

o_mom
11-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I had SI joint immobility with my first. Well, it was the worst with him because the other two I knew how to take care of it.

I saw a PT that specialized in women and pregnancy. They showed me how to get it back into place, how to help prevent it and I went from literally not being able to walk (crawling to/from the bathroom) to completely mobile.

I don't remember all of them - and some of them depended on which side was out of whack, but one that really helped was to sit in a chair (like a kitchen chair) and put your two fists between your knees. Then you squeeze your knees together and hold for like a count of 10. Repeat several times.

One of the other two involved pulling on one knee, while pushing on the other and holding that in tension, but which one to push/pull depended on which side was out. The other was having DH pull on my leg, but I seem to remember it was the opposite side of the one that was hurting. I don't want you to make it worse, so I would suggest seeing a PT if you can.

JenaW
11-19-2012, 07:57 AM
Thank you so much for the replies. I know a great Women's Health PT who helped a lot with some pelvic floor issues after i delivered my 6th. I'll call my OB today and see if I can referral. I'm not sure why I didnt think of her sooner. Prolly bc eve. Tho this has been an issue before, it's always seemed to come and go. But now it's gotten worse. I'll def try the exercises too. I googled the piriformis stretch and tried it standing last night and was absolutely astounded at how tight I am on the side that hurts. Doing the stretch hurts a lot in my hip and I'm not sure how much to push into it. I guess that's where the pt comes in.

Thanks for your help.

gatorsmom
11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I get pain in that area and it gets much worse when I"m pregnant. There is a yoga pose I needed to do everyday when I was pregnant to get through the day without pain. Sometimes I'd have to do it a couple of times throughout the day. I got this pose from this DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1353336160&sr=8-15&keywords=yoga+pregnancy+workout+dvd. (http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1353336160&sr=8-15&keywords=yoga+pregnancy+workout+dvd) I'm sure this yoga pose has a name but I don't remember it. So, I'll just describe it:

Get down on the floor, hands and knees on the carpet to make a "table." Make sure your back is flat. Then raise your right leg out straight directly behind you. Your right leg should be parallel with the floor and your knee facing down toward the floor. Now slowly turn your knee to the side. Your leg should still be directly out behind you, but your knee is facing as far out to your right side as you can. Now while keeping your leg parallel to the ground and knee twisted out, press your right hip into the ground. You are not actually moving much, just stretching out that sacro-ilial joint. You are trying to make your pelvis parallel with the floor. Turn your knee back down to relax then turn it out again and press your pelvis down again. You should really feel a stretch in your pelvis. Then to relax the pose completely, bring your right leg back down to the floor and sit back resting your bum on your ankles. Try to flatten yourself to the floor (easier said than done when you are pregnant, I know!), stretch out your arms in front of you and rest your forehead on the floor. Then pick yourself back up on hands and knees and stretch your left leg directly out behind you. Repeat with your left leg.

This pose has always helped me and it helped another friend with the same issue. Hopefully you'll find some relief. Congrats again!

lizzywednesday
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
I get pain in that area and it gets much worse when I"m pregnant. There is a yoga pose I needed to do everyday when I was pregnant to get through the day without pain. Sometimes I'd have to do it a couple of times throughout the day. I got this pose from this DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1353336160&sr=8-15&keywords=yoga+pregnancy+workout+dvd. (http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Yoga-Shiva-Rea/dp/B0000BYNMH/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1353336160&sr=8-15&keywords=yoga+pregnancy+workout+dvd) I'm sure this yoga pose has a name but I don't remember it. So, I'll just describe it:

Can I just say that this prenatal yoga video was a lifesaver for me when I was pregnant with my DD?

maestramommy
11-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Can you wear a SI belt? It should accommodate your belly. Also, if you can see a PT that specializes in preg and post partum issues they can give you stretches and exercises.

JenaW
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks L!! I tried that pose and it looks like I can watch that video on you-tube. I'm supposed to be limiting all "unnecessary activity" bc my BP was up but hopefully my OB will consider yoga necessary. It may actually lower my pressure if I can alleviate some of this pain. A 2 1/2 hr BJs run with 6 kids has me in near tears. I'm going to try some yoga right now after a nIce warm tub soak. I also was able to get an appt with my PT on Friday. Fingers crossed that this works. Im fine with a little suffering now (offering it up for some special intentions) but I'm worried about the next few weeks and labor/delivery if it continues/worsens. Up until now it's been fleeting episodes, but for the past 24 hrs it's been much more constant. Ah, the joys of pregnancy when you are an "old lady!!"