PDA

View Full Version : I am seriously cooking challenged...please help!

lcarlson90
11-18-2012, 09:35 PM
We do a potluck Thanksgiving in my family. Every year I always get stuck with veggies. I think I have made the old-school green bean casserole for the last 5 years. This year my family politely hinted that they might want to try something new. I suck at cooking. Please hit me with your best veggie recipes.

karstmama
11-18-2012, 09:40 PM
what veggies do they generally like? i'm doing roasted brussels sprouts this year - quick, easy, *very* yummy. but if your folks wouldn't eat them, not a good choice.

another idea would be carrots with butter & honey, or roasted okra are incredibly delicious, or a big tossed salad.

so give out some veggie thoughts & we'll give recipes!

lcarlson90
11-18-2012, 09:43 PM
There is going to be 20 people so I probably can't please everyone. I was thinking green beans (prepared a different way), asparagus, squash or maybe carrots.

bnme
11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Very basic stringbeans - easy and delish. My favorite way to eat them. Add some sauteed sliced mushrooms to make it more 'fancy'
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/string-beans-with-garlic-recipe/index.html
I am trying PWs butternut squash puree this Thanksgiving
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/11/butternut_squash_puree_try_it_or_ill_deck_ya_/
I am also making peas, but using bacon instead of pancetta
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/peas-with-shallots-and-pancetta-recipe/index.html

ArizonaGirl
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Do Sweet Potatoes count...

I have a killer sweet potato recipe that is super easy and can be made ahead

Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

Filling
• 3 cups boiled sweet potatoes, mashed
• 2 eggs
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• ¼ lb butter
• 1 tsp vanilla

Topping
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup flour
• 1/3 cup butter

Preheat oven to 300oF. Combine sweet potatoes, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla and mix well. Spoon into 9” X 9” sprayed baking dish. Combine pecans, brown sugar, flour and butter. Spread over potatoes evenly. Bake at 300oF until firm, about 30 minutes.

Enjoy

karstmama
11-18-2012, 10:05 PM
this sounds really good, from cook's illustrated...

i'd probably at least double it, but we like beans.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound green beans, stem end snapped off
Table salt
4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, minced
3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
Ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Bring 2 1/2 quarts of water to boil in large saucepan. Add green beans and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook beans until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside for up to several hours.

2. Fry bacon over medium heat in large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from pan with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat from pan. Add onion to fat in skillet; sauté until softened and golden, about 5 minutes.

3. Add beans and parsley to pan. Toss to heat through for 1 to 2 minutes. Crumble bacon over pan, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.

KLD313
11-18-2012, 10:06 PM
String beans with toasted almond slivers. You can't get easier than that and it's good.

hollybloom24
11-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Trader Joe's sells shaved Brussels sprouts - the recipe on the bag is FABULOUS! Everyone in my house loves them, I make two bags for four people!

I also roast baby carrots, leeks and parsnips together - just peel the parsnips and dice them up with sliced leeks and the carrots, toss with olive oil and salt/pepper and roast for 30 minutes at 450 degrees (just watch to make sure they are not burning - I toss while cooking a few times.)

karstmama
11-18-2012, 10:10 PM
or this for asparagus, also cook's illustrated...i love them...

SERVES 6 TO 8
INGREDIENTS
2 pounds thin asparagus spears (2 bunches), tough ends trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to uppermost position and heat broiler.
2. Toss asparagus with oil and salt and pepper, then lay spears in single layer on heavy rimmed baking sheet. Broil about 4 inches from heating element, shaking pan halfway through to turn spears, until asparagus is tender and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Cool asparagus 5 minutes and arrange on serving dish.
4. Whisk shallot, lemon juice and zest, thyme, mustard, and olive oil in small bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle over asparagus and serve immediately.

TECHNIQUE for SNAPPING OFF THE TOUGH ENDS - ASPARAGUS

Hold the asparagus about halfway down the stalk; with the other hand, hold the cut end between the thumb and index finger about an inch or so up from the bottom and bend the stalk until it snaps.

logan's mom
11-18-2012, 10:11 PM
What about green bean bundles. You can have them assembled and just bake them when you get there....if it will be possible.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sweet-green-bean-bundles/

jenstring95
11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
We really like this yellow squash recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Yellow-Squash-Casserole/Detail.aspx?src=etaf

and this year I am going to make (for the first time) this version of green bean casserole:

https://bay145.mail.live.com/default.aspx?id=64855#n=310647607&fid=&st=green%20bean&mid=9754c1f3-2464-11e2-bd1d-00237de3e47e&fv=1

which seems very similar to the squash recipe. I don't like green bean casserole the traditional way (not a fan of mushroom soup or the crunchy onion things), but this has neither of those.

We also always have three bean casserole, which is made the day before and served cold.

ellies mom
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Pioneer Woman's Green Bean Casserole is absolutely delicious. And this is coming from someone who is not a big veggie eater and normally avoids casseroles like the plague. I made it for a pot luck last week and it was a huge hit.

Liziz
11-18-2012, 11:07 PM
If you want to make the same 'ole green bean casserole (I'm assuming you mean the one w/ mushroom soup and french fried onions...), but make it even more unhealthy, put diced velveeta cheese cubes all over the top before you bake. It makes an unhealthy dish even worse, and I'm not usually a velveeta fan...but it's *good*. I've had so many people go back for seconds and thirds when I make it like that! (and I do find that using french-style frozen green beans instead of canned makes a big difference in terms of taste, too).

cookiemonster80
11-18-2012, 11:51 PM
The pioneer woman's balsamic Brussels sprouts- seriously people who hate Brussels sprouts love these and they are easy and can be served at room temp.

urquie
11-19-2012, 12:28 AM
These green beans from, America's Test Kitchen, are fabulous!

Roasted Green Beans with Red Onion and Walnuts
from the Episode: A New Way with Turkey

An aluminum foil liner prevents burning on dark nonstick baking sheets. When using baking sheets with a light finish, foil is not required, but we recommend it for easy cleanup.

Serves 4
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
2 medium cloves garlic , thin sliced

1 pound green beans , stem ends snapped off
1/2 medium red onion , cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil

Table salt and ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (toasted)

1. Combine vinegar, honey, thyme, and garlic in small bowl; set aside.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans and onion wedges on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.
3. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, coat beans and onion evenly with vinegar/honey mixture; redistribute in even layer. Continue roasting until onions and beans are dark golden brown in spots and beans have started to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
4. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted chopped nuts.

urquie
11-19-2012, 12:40 AM
This was posted here before and is very good! It also looks very pretty, for a holiday meal. :-)

Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake

1.75 kg sweet potatoes or yams 3 ½ lb
2 large onions
500 mL fresh/frozen cranberries* 2 cups
150 mL packed golden sugar 2/3 cup
30 mL melted butter 2 tbsp
grated peel & juice of 1 large orange
3 mL salt ½ tsp
3 mL nutmeg ½ tsp
3 mL ground ginger ½ tsp
3 mL cinnamon ½ tsp
* Do not thaw if using frozen cranberries.

1. Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C).
2. Pierce potatoes or yams several times with a skewer.

3. Peel onions and cut in half horizontally.

4. Place potatoes (or yams) and onion halves on a tray and drizzle onion halves with a few drops of olive oil. Bake about 30 minutes or until nearly cooked.

5. Remove tray from oven and cool until you can handle them enough to peel potatoes or yams.

6. Reduce oven heat to 350° F (180° C).

7. Cut potatoes or yams into cubes and dice onions roughly. Mix together and place in two shallow bakers, about 20 x 30 cm (8" x 12").

8. Combine remaining ingredients, mix well, and pour over two bakers. Mix well to coat all pieces of vegetable.

9. Bake, uncovered, about 30-40 minutes or until tender and starting to get stick. Stir each baker once during cooking.

Makes 8 servings.

lcarlson90
11-19-2012, 01:08 AM
I forgot to mention that I will have to prepare this at home and cook it later when I get to my Aunt's house because she lives about 45 minutes away.

ellies mom
11-19-2012, 01:56 AM
PW Green Bean Casserole would be perfect for that. You could do the main prep ahead of time and then do the fine bake (30 min) at your Aunt's house.

I should mention that her recipe was my second attempt at a green bean casserole. My first attempt was an absolute complete failure. So I can relate to not being able to make it and I can also tell you that there was a certain feeling of "Ha! Take that!" the first time I served up PW's recipe.

roseyloxs
11-19-2012, 03:13 AM
I love everything Carrie makes at Deliciously Organic...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDPcy0vOzPrdaRZmnGJ7f-QFg7KGxepcJ6DjVbG0gymRJHRbdbuw
http://deliciouslyorganic.net/vegetable-tian/

or to do green beans in a different way...
http://deliciouslyorganic.net/green-beans-prosciutto/

AJP
11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
This dish is delicious and fairly easy. Wash & cut veggies add oil, seasoning and canned diced tomatoes and bake.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/23884/briami.html

I add carrots and some squash, season really well and skip the bay leaves. It needs to cook for 1 hour though, but I've made it at home right before leaving and just reheated when I get there.

Tondi G
11-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I would just make basic baby green beans .... boil or steam and then top with butter and salt.

I would also buy some nice salad greens ... add some sliced cucumbers, red bell pepper, any maybe a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds. You could add some sliced roasted beets, you could add some parmasan or goat cheese. bring a balsamic dressing ... done!

If you have a trader joes near by they have already cubed butternut squash which is easy to just throw in a pan, coat with olive oil and salt n pepper... roast em up and serve! You can throw in a little fresh rosemary for some added flavor if you like.

Seitvonzu
11-19-2012, 04:14 PM
the traditional green bean dish in my family is with bacon/onions. my extended family (and own mother) use canned green beans but you can also do fresh (i prefer that, but my brother, usually a health nut loves the canned in this case)

we're getting a meal from the grocery store this year and it actually has green bean casserole- i can't wait! ;)

curiousgeorge
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
If you want a different take on traditional sweet potatoes, try these:

8 unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
4 TBSP olive oil
6 TBSP fresh chopped rosemary
1 TSP salt
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
2 TSP paprika
8 cloves garlic pressed through garlic press or finely chopped

Combine all ingredients and roast in a pan for about 45 minutes at 375. You could easily make them ahead of time and reheat where you are going.

We don't do "sweet" sweet potatoes at our Thanksgiving and these are a huge hit.

lcarlson90
11-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for all the responses ladies. I think I am going to make a brussel sprouts recipe I found from Bobbie Flay.

urquie
11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
If you want a different take on traditional sweet potatoes, try these:

8 unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
4 TBSP olive oil
6 TBSP fresh chopped rosemary
1 TSP salt
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
2 TSP paprika
8 cloves garlic pressed through garlic press or finely chopped

Combine all ingredients and roast in a pan for about 45 minutes at 375. You could easily make them ahead of time and reheat where you are going.

We don't do "sweet" sweet potatoes at our Thanksgiving and these are a huge hit.

I love savory, mashed sweet potatoes! I just microwave the unwashed potato, until its soft, then squeeze out the inside once cooled. Add in some salt, pepper, fresh minced garlic, milk and butter or coconut oil. Yum!

fauve01
11-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for all the responses ladies. I think I am going to make a brussel sprouts recipe I found from Bobbie Flay.

recipe, please. :wink2: