PDA

View Full Version : Please weigh in on my selections for DD's room

fedoragirl
11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
DD will be getting a full size bed and I have chosen a queen comforter for her. I am just nervous about these sizes.
I am choosing this comforter from Amazon (other suggestions are welcome):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TV4PI0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The dimensions of this comforter are strange. For a queen, it tells me 89X95 which is a lot more than the PBK duvet cover I have chosen. The PBK cover is on sale and cannot be returned so I am nervous about buying it.
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/pink-leela-duvet/?lineid=1&cm_src=E:K:girls-duvet-covers||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-&catalogId=29

Any ideas? Any other recommendations?

Also, would you get a chocolate, khaki, or sage blanket for the Leela PBK duvet cover (above)? I am leaning towards chocolate because it won't look so dirty.
I hate making these decisions when I can't return items.

indigo99
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
DD will be getting a full size bed and I have chosen a queen comforter for her. I am just nervous about these sizes.
I am choosing this comforter from Amazon (other suggestions are welcome):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TV4PI0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The dimensions of this comforter are strange. For a queen, it tells me 89X95 which is a lot more than the PBK duvet cover I have chosen. The PBK cover is on sale and cannot be returned so I am nervous about buying it.
http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/pink-leela-duvet/?lineid=1&cm_src=E:K:girls-duvet-covers||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-&catalogId=29

Any ideas? Any other recommendations?

Also, would you get a chocolate, khaki, or sage blanket for the Leela PBK duvet cover (above)? I am leaning towards chocolate because it won't look so dirty.
I hate making these decisions when I can't return items.

Is there a reason you're using a queen duvet on a full bed? Why not just get a full size and not worry about it fitting inside the PBK cover. That does look like a nice duvet though. Does your house get cold? It says that one is really warm which wouldn't work well for my boys since they sleep hot.

That duvet cover is very light and springy, I wouldn't worry so much about it getting dirty and would go with a lighter colored blanket (Again, is your house really cold or are you going to use just the blanket and not the duvet for sleeping? We sleep under our duvet and don't use a blanket).

LMPC
11-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I size up our inserts -- don't ask me why -- just always have. I like my duvets fluffy :) I think a queen insert will be fine in the full duvet. As for the blanket...what's the rest of the room like.... if there's something else dark in the room (like brown furniture) I would get the chocolate blanket. If she has white furniture, I think I would just get a lighter blanket. I have a PBK blanket for DD and have washed it a couple of times already. Always comes out fine.

fedoragirl
11-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Thank you for your opinions. I was hesitant about the chocolate blanket but I don't want to wash linens too often. I think I'll go with the lighter blanket since DD has white furniture. I was buying the blanket for the summer and would have used the duvet as a quilt or maybe not. In the fall/winter, I would have used the warm duvet.
Our house does get cold, and DD is very cold most times. I wanted a queen duvet insert because it's easier to buy duvet covers in that size when I need multiples. Also, they come in cuter prints. But I am not so sure anymore.

indigo99
11-21-2012, 08:33 PM
I use a flat sheet under my duvet so in the summer it mostly stays at my feet while I'm under the sheet. In the winter, I sleep under both. I guess it depends on how warm/cold your house gets. If she really needs a blanket in the summer too then another option is to either get a much cooler duvet to use with the cover in summer and a warmer one to use in winter or just use a thinner one year-round and layer it with a blanket in winter. That way she'd still get to use the pretty cover all the time.

I'm sure you can stuff a queen size filler inside the cover. I just wasn't sure why you'd want to spend more for the larger size if you didn't need to. I say just bite the bullet and don't second guess it too much. If you're like me then you overthink even small decisions more than you need to.

fedoragirl
11-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks! I bought the queen size duvet insert and the pottery barn duvet cover. I usually don't think so much about such purchases but I can't return things since I don't live at home anymore. I have to wait till I make a trip home which is now an annual affair thanks to the rising ticket prices. DH goes more often for work but he can only bring back so much.