PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a tablet/Kindle Fire???

mom2binsd
11-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I'd like to get a gift for my two DC's to share, Santa often leaves something unexpected. They are 9 and 6.

We only have a desktop PC, no other computers, no ipads. I have a Samsung Galaxy s III. Each of them has a dsi.

I'm willing to get a wireless router and was thinking something like the Kindle Fire, but worry that the cheaper 8gb won't have enough memory.

I'd like them to be able to play games/apps/do email, well that's for me, facebook etc.

I'd like to keep it under 200.00

So wise folks of the BBB suggestions on what I should look at.

JElaineB
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
The Kindle Fire HD has 16 GB and is $199. That might work for you.

rlu
11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm in the same boat http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=441720

I would add Nook Tablet 17GB ($179 IIRC) and Nexus 7 to your options. Nexus 7 was on sale at OfficeMax last week for $214-$15GC but not sure how long that sale is lasting.

We saw the Nabi at Best Buy but I'm not convinced the screen is great for games or watching videos.

I plan to call my eye dr today and ask about eye fatigue (DS wears glasses and I did until 5 years ago) and if they rec one tablet over another in that regard.

OKKiddo
11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I'm in the same boat http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=441720

I would add Nook Tablet 17GB ($179 IIRC) and Nexus 7 to your options. Nexus 7 was on sale at OfficeMax last week for $214-$15GC but not sure how long that sale is lasting.

We saw the Nabi at Best Buy but I'm not convinced the screen is great for games or watching videos.

I plan to call my eye dr today and ask about eye fatigue (DS wears glasses and I did until 5 years ago) and if they rec one tablet over another in that regard.

I'm also one who has been posting/trying to find something recently. I just checked my local Costco and they have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 WiFi 8 GB Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 for $179 after in store rebate.

My search criteria are just a bit different. I'm looking for my Dad who isn't too computer literate, doesn't read a whole lot but loves to play games (card games anyway) and watch an occasional movie and most importantly wants to be able to video chat with us.

codex57
11-19-2012, 03:22 PM
If you have Amazon Prime, I'd go with the Kindle Fire. Otherwise, I'm more partial to the Nexus 7.

mom2binsd
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
If you have Amazon Prime, I'd go with the Kindle Fire. Otherwise, I'm more partial to the Nexus 7.

Why does having Amazon Prime make a difference??? I'm not too up on how having prime helps...does it have to do with streaming netflix???

TwinFoxes
11-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Why does having Amazon Prime make a difference??? I'm not too up on how having prime helps...does it have to do with streaming netflix???

You can stream Prime movies/tv shows for free.

lcarlson90
11-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Which is better the Galaxy or Nexus?

sidmand
11-19-2012, 04:17 PM
You can stream Prime movies/tv shows for free.

You can also borrow a book a month from the lending library. I went with a Kindle and didn't even consider a Nook only because I have Amazon Prime and already had the Kindle app and some books downloaded.