PDA

View Full Version : s/o shark teeth

infocrazy
11-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Over the weekend, we discovered a shark tooth in DS2's mouth! I had never heard of this until the thread last week or so, and then suddenly I notice one in DS2's mouth!!! He is going to be 5.5 on Wed. I'd say it is about 1/4 to 1/3 in already and it is behind there. The baby teeth aren't at all loose and I think that from where the adult tooth is and the angle, it isn't even going to hit the baby teeth.

Long story short, our "impossible to get an appointment" ped dentist isn't in our insurance next year when we switch and with the new ins there aren't any pediatric dentists close by so we are planning to switch them to DH's dentist. Thoughts?

I called the family dentist and made an appointment based on my schedule for about a month from now. Should I take him sooner? Should I take him to a pediatric dentist?

boolady
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
I took DD to the dentist this summer when we found her shark tooth, and the dentist wasn't worried about it. Her baby tooth is still there, but about to fall out any day. DD's new tooth never touched the baby tooth at all, either, but the dentist told me that the new tooth absorbs the root of the baby tooth in almost all cases. She said that the new tooth will move forward into the baby tooth spot, and so far, she's right-- the new tooth has been minutely moving forward even though the baby tooth's been hanging on for a while. DD had a second shark tooth in her other front lower tooth, but that baby tooth fell out much more quickly. Her permanent tooth has completely moved into that spot in about 3 months.

I know others on here have talked about extractions if the baby tooth doesn't get loose, but our dentist's preference was to wait it out, as she said she's never had to extract a baby tooth in a shark tooth situation. Not saying it doesn't happen, but she was very comfortable with waiting quite a while for the baby tooth to fall out.

khalloc
11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
My DD lost all of her 8 front baby teeth in 1 years time. Her dentist said that was early to lose all 8 teeth. But one of the adult teeth that is coming in on her lower jaw is coming in way behind where it should be. The dentist said not to worry that her tongue will push it up where it needs to be.

BabyBearsMom
11-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I had a shark tooth when I was a kid. My dentist ended up pulling the tooth in front. It did come in a little behind the other teeth but barely. I didn't need braces to fix it.