PDA

View Full Version : Good Lightweight Bike Brands Other Than Specialized or Trek

Kindra178
11-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Our local bike store that sold Specialized, Trek and Haro just closed its doors. Although there are other dealers for those brands around, nothing was as convenient at that place. There is another local bike store that sells Cannondale and Raleigh. Are those brands comparable? Any other brands I can look for? I really like to shop local, but I also really like how lightweight Specialized bikes are, especially for new riders. Thanks.

MommyAllison
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Dd1 has a Specialized Hotrock and a Diamondback, and she actually prefers the DB. The seat adjusts lower on the DB and she feels like she can control it better than the Hotrock. When I pick them up, I don't notice a significant weight difference between the two. Hth

LMPC
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM
What about REI's brand Navaro? They are actually on sale right now.

carolinamama
11-19-2012, 05:22 PM
What about REI's brand Navaro? They are actually on sale right now.

Curious about how this brand is...we are in the market for a new bike for DS1 and he is riding a Hotrock right now. Think I will check out the Navaro.

LMPC
11-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Curious about how this brand is...we are in the market for a new bike for DS1 and he is riding a Hotrock right now. Think I will check out the Navaro.

One of my friends who was big into mt biking said they are well-made bikes. And since you'd be buying from REI, if you didn't like it or it didn't hold up well, you could always take it back.

schums
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
The REI guy told us they are made in the same plant in China as Trek and Giant. We LOVE our Navarros. Well built, hold up extremely well, good value for the $$.

WatchingThemGrow
11-19-2012, 07:16 PM
The REI guy told us they are made in the same plant in China as Trek and Giant. We LOVE our Navarros. Well built, hold up extremely well, good value for the $$.
The Trek we had weighed SO much.

KrisM
11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
The Trek we had weighed SO much.

Ours, too. I think it's fine in the smaller sizes, but they get super heavy as they get big. DS1 moved to a 24" this year and he has an Aluminum Trek and it's nice. It's light enough to lift onto the bike rack easily. It's lighter than DS2's 16" steel frame.

Kindra178
11-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks everyone.