PDA

View Full Version : Fire vs paperwhite for 9 year old

sophiesmom03
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I got a kindle fire bc the paperwhite was sold out at amazon, then found a paperwhite in stock at a b&m store. So now I have both.

Dd1 wanted a 3ds and kindle and AG doll for birthday/Christmas. We cannot do all 3 so DH and I decided on kindle and AG doll.

We have a wii and a pc laptop but no iPad, tablet etc.

So which kindle should I keep?

Thanks!!!

ellies mom
11-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Personally, I'd go with the Paperwhite for a child. DD1 was given a Nook Color last year and we exchanged it for a Kindle Touch because while I don't mind her staying up late reading, I don't want her staying up late playing games.

JElaineB
11-19-2012, 06:20 PM
If she wanted a 3DS and is not getting one I would go with the Kindle Fire. She'll be able to read and play games. I think the new Kindle Fires have a parental control feature that might be of some assistance if you want to set limits on its use:

Kindle FreeTime - a free, personalized tablet experience just for kids on the new Kindle Fire. Set daily screen limits, and give access to appropriate content for each child

m448
11-19-2012, 06:37 PM
If she really wanted a reading kindle and not a kindle fire I'd go for the kindle (paperwhite although what I bought my own 9 year old was a basic kindle in case of accidents, I have the paperwhite).

Both for the reasons that Veronica posted and because reading on a kindle vs. kindle fire is much easier on the eyes. It's a front lit screen on the paperwhite and an ambient lit on the classic vs. backlit on the fire.

wildfire
11-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Did the Kindle Fire add in any adult controls? I know one of the first criticisms was that there was no real way to lock down the one touch purchasing, so kids could buy apps, games, and movies on the credit card associated with the account. Just something to consider.

JElaineB
11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
Did the Kindle Fire add in any adult controls? I know one of the first criticisms was that there was no real way to lock down the one touch purchasing, so kids could buy apps, games, and movies on the credit card associated with the account. Just something to consider.

Here's an article on Kindle FreeTime, which is only for Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD. Apparently the parental controls are quite good. The same level of control is not on the regular Kindles. I'm not sure if FreeTime is available for last year's Kindle Fires or not.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-33620_3-57507961-278/rejoice-kindle-freetime-brings-multi-user-support-to-tablets/

Supposedly even without FreeTime you can password protected purchases on the Fire: Open Settings, tap More, then tap Parental Controls.

(I don't have a Kindle Fire but I'm researching for possible Christmas purchase).

Pinky
11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
If you think she'll be primarily using it for reading, I would get the Paperwhite for sure. It's going to be much easier on her eyes to read with that since it has the e-ink screen. The Kindle Fire sounds neat and we've considered getting one but I wouldn't want a child reading on it for very long at all.

Pinky
11-19-2012, 09:30 PM
*oops, double post.

sophiesmom03
11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks all for your thoughts. It is intended primarily for reading so if the paperwhite is that much better for reading, it is what I will give to her.

Is it bad that I want one for myself too? Lol maybe DH will give me one...

kboyle
11-19-2012, 10:22 PM
for reading i'd keep the paperwhite. i gave ds (9) a reg eink kindle last year after having him read a chapter book on my eink nook and ipad and preferred to read on the eink. he has seen the kindle fires and has no interest, though we do have an ipad.