PDA

View Full Version : What to do you do with unwanted clothes?

sweetsue98
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
What do you do with clothing that you no longer want but still in great condition?

Do you sell on eBay? Consignment shops? Goodwill?

What items of clothing are appropriate? Would you sell bras in great condition?

I think there was a thread on this a few months ago but can't find it.

Tia!

crl
11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Kids stuff I hand down to a neighbor. My stuff goes to Goodwill. I would donate bras in good condition.

Catherine

twowhat?
11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
For my clothes: Goodwill (including bras).

Mostly Goodwill for the kids' clothes but I am hanging onto their HA and Boden to try CL or ebay.

SnuggleBuggles
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I give kids' clothes to my friend. I donate all of my stuff to the Veterans...because they pick up at my house.

Melaine
11-19-2012, 10:27 PM
I sell the kids' clothes on craigslist and sometimes give it to friends. Mine is usually not worth selling by the time I am done with it, so I donate. I used to sell at Plato's Closet but I think I am too old now. I would ebay my clothes if I thought they were worth bothering with.

sweet_pea
11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I consign, donate to Goodwill and pass on clothing to friends (if I know it's their size).

mom3boys
11-19-2012, 10:48 PM
I have always donated mine to Goodwill, or, there is a group that drops off plastic bags and picks them up--I will donate to them if they have a pickup coming up--I think it's the Cystic Fibrosis foundation.

I donate the kids' stuff or give it to friends. I did sell a couple items on CL, but it took some effort to do that for a fairly low payoff.

I'm getting rid of a bunch of stuff now, some nice quality and even with tags (both mine and the kids) because we are moving. I don't have time to deal with listing on CL or eBay and having to meet up with people or ship, so, I'm going to consign the nicest stuff and give the rest to charity.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-19-2012, 10:50 PM
my clothes - i donate. usually it's not something anybody wants (e.g. stuff that is 5+ years old).

kids clothes (usually Hanna or Gymbo) - i sell on eBay. i've gotten pretty good prices for stuff i sell. the other stuff i give away to friends with younger DCs.

essnce629
11-19-2012, 10:53 PM
The boys' clothes in excellent condition get saved in case I have another or I pass them down to friends. The stuff I don't care for goes to the Goodwill.

All my clothes go to the Goodwill unless it's something I think my mom may want-- we wear the same shirt/dress size, but not pants size.

When DS1 was really young, I sold all of his infant clothes on Craigslist that I didn't want to keep. But I really needed the money then. Now it's too much of a hassle.

sweetsue98
11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks ladies! I have some nice items that are still in style and 20+ Victoria's secret bras that are practically brand new so I like to get some return on investment.

I will donate everything else!

cntrymoon2
11-20-2012, 04:04 AM
I always donated everything to Goodwill until about 6 months ago when I came across an article about what really happens to donated clothing. It was eye opening and sort of depressing. I always envisioned my donated clothes going to a less fortunate person in my community- not being shredded into oil rags or shipped overseas to be sold in African straw markets. I've hung onto everything since then and am looking for a more local group that will distribute to someone directly in need, or perhaps a church mission group.

More info here:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2743456&page=1#.UKs4B-OjckM

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fashion/2012/06/the_salvation_army_and_goodwill_inside_the_places_ your_clothes_go_when_you_donate_them_.html

HannaAddict
11-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Nicest kids items to baby boutique by family services. More worn things and worn adult to the Goodwill. The nicer adult things I have done eBay long ago but no time now. So, donate to local groups for the reason then poster mentioned in the story about shredding up old clothes.

randomkid
11-20-2012, 04:25 AM
For donations, look for a local homeless shelter or organization. We have one here that will pick up items at our house. They provide temporary housing for those who are homeless, provide clothing, training, etc to work with them to get employment, a place to live, etc. I like this organization because it isn't just a shelter, but a place where people can go to get back on their feet. They give whatever is needed to the individuals first, then put other items in their thrift store, using the money from what is sold there to put back into the organization. I also donate household items to them because those who are able to find a place to live often have very little and need kitchen items, linens, etc.

I like knowing that my donated items are actually going to be used by someone who needs them. I no longer donate clothing to Goodwill.

kijip
11-20-2012, 05:02 AM
There is a serious surplus of used adult clothing. I don't mind donating to Goodwill or similar because the funds translate into help for local people in need and because used stores encourage recycling and reducing the amount of stuff people buy new. It is stuff that is unsold that gets sold by the pound oversees. And if that is the best return for it once a certain time passes, then I don't see the issue. None of the charities I worked for could accept adult clothing- because if we did, we would rapidly be swamped and because we could not get rid of it quickly or efficiently. If I have a warm coat, boots or similar that I know will go fast at a homeless organization, I swing by and drop it off. Or I will run it by tent city. If I have professional clothing, I take it to Dress for Success because they can distribute it free to a job seeker or new hire. But otherwise, I think Goodwill or Freecycle is the easiest and most efficient. Kids and maternity clothes are different- there is much more of a demand/need and they can be distributed fast. Generic adult items (rather than cold weather stuff for homeless people or professional wear) are just not in demand in most instances. Many charities prefer to give a gift card to Goodwill when they do have an adult in need of basic clothes because storage on site is a huge issue. The Goodwill here would donate or subsidize those for other charities.

My kids stuff mostly gets cycled down to friends. We have a lot of friends with kids 1 year younger than our younger son. And for Ts stuff, he has a male cousin who is 2 sizes smaller and they really need the clothes.

For adult stuff, like I said above it is either donated to a specific place for a specific type of clothing or I drop it off at Goodwill or a similar thrift store. Sometimes my friends have clothing swaps and I will take nicer things that I have shrunk out of to one of those and swap for smaller clothing. All of my maternity stuff was either freecycled or given to pregnant friends.

sweetsue98
11-20-2012, 09:26 AM
I always donated everything to Goodwill until about 6 months ago when I came across an article about what really happens to donated clothing. It was eye opening and sort of depressing. I always envisioned my donated clothes going to a less fortunate person in my community- not being shredded into oil rags or shipped overseas to be sold in African straw markets. I've hung onto everything since then and am looking for a more local group that will distribute to someone directly in need, or perhaps a church mission group.

More info here:
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2743456&page=1#.UKs4B-OjckM

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/fashion/2012/06/the_salvation_army_and_goodwill_inside_the_places_ your_clothes_go_when_you_donate_them_.html

This is so sad! Thanks for the info!

wendibird22
11-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I do Goodwill or donate my clothes and baby and kids clothes to the local women's shelter. Often times these women and their children leave with only the clothes on their backs.

hillview
11-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I give kids' clothes to my friend. I donate all of my stuff to the Veterans...because they pick up at my house.

:yeahthat: I give my cleaning lady first pick and everything else goes to the Veterans (pick up!).

BabbyO
11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
For my clothes or DH's clothes - St. Vincent DePaul or Goodwill.

Kids clothes - the neighbor who's son is a few months younger than Peanut or my brother and SIL who are expecting in Jan.

hellokitty
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I just tried to consign some of my nicer stuff and they only wanted to give me $7.50 for stuff that they would sell for over $30. I will either give it to friends or donate to our local women's domestic shelter. They always need clothes for women and kids.